BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

A solitary player from Europe would undoubtedly be an underwhelming return from a scouting network

Of course covid may have affected things and also I appreciate that you dont sign foreign players to justify it, ie Ayala is someone I am very happy with.

Doesnt sound like we are close or actively chasing any signings and indeed the amount of players that we want has dropped by a further one.

I just hope that we havent gained a false sense of security based on the 2 wins. Bell had arguably his best game for us on Saturday but we know long term that he isnt up to it, we need a first choice LB, not competition. We also could do with another midfielder really, Davenport has never started a game and Buckley is nice to have around but we could do with a more ready made alternative, especially as we have big demands on the central midfield and scope for Rothwell to play further forward.

I dont see why any sane club would loan us a keeper to sit on the bench, surely thats a job for a freebie.

• Like 1

Quoting Mowbray, the left back addition will be a loan signing. Leeds' Douglas is expressly ruled out.

Quick scan of left backs at the Academies of Europe's top leagues needed pronto.

I cannot think of any Prem League side defending so brilliantly a seasoned excellent Left Back cannot make the 18 or 25.

• Like 1

There is no link to him and I am not suggesting that we sign him but did anyone watch the 2 Everton League cup games on TV in recent weeks?

They had a very impressive young left back called Niels Nkonkou who put more crosses in 2 games than our full backs have under Mowbray full stop. Signed from Marseille B Team.

It would be a huge question over whether he could demand, he was playing Salford and Fleetwood so he got to show his attacking sidee but though it is worth a mention.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There is no link to him and I am not suggesting that we sign him but did anyone watch the 2 Everton League cup games on TV in recent weeks?

They had a very impressive young left back called Niels Nkonkou who put more crosses in 2 games than our full backs have under Mowbray full stop. Signed from Marseille B Team.

It would be a huge question over whether he could demand, he was playing Salford and Fleetwood so he got to show his attacking sidee but though it is worth a mention.

Would be an incredible signing

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A solitary player from Europe would undoubtedly be an underwhelming return from a scouting network

Of course covid may have affected things and also I appreciate that you dont sign foreign players to justify it, ie Ayala is someone I am very happy with.

Doesnt sound like we are close or actively chasing any signings and indeed the amount of players that we want has dropped by a further one.

I just hope that we havent gained a false sense of security based on the 2 wins. Bell had arguably his best game for us on Saturday but we know long term that he isnt up to it, we need a first choice LB, not competition. We also could do with another midfielder really, Davenport has never started a game and Buckley is nice to have around but we could do with a more ready made alternative, especially as we have big demands on the central midfield and scope for Rothwell to play further forward.

I dont see why any sane club would loan us a keeper to sit on the bench, surely thats a job for a freebie.

Never been impressed by Davenport, but Buckley has a fantastic talent. Making the most chances of the entire league the other week and then bossing the U23 game with a fantastic array of passing. Buckley will be good cover for Holby imo.

Good to see such a fine display in the U23s by Chapman too. And such a great attitude Chapman had when Dolan came off on Saturday's game; was very respectful to the young lad, where many would be spiteful. 

2 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Never been impressed by Davenport, but Buckley has a fantastic talent. Making the most chances of the entire league the other week and then bossing the U23 game with a fantastic array of passing. Buckley will be good cover for Holby imo.

Good to see such a fine display in the U23s by Chapman too. And such a great attitude Chapman had when Dolan came off on Saturday's game; was very respectful to the young lad, where many would be spiteful. 

There is no reason why if Buckley is ready, that he couldnt break through even with an additional midfielder to be fair. We have Johnson and Holtby, who has had injury problems, and Rothwell who is also needed wide left. Then Evans to come back who of course is injury prone, and with Travis out for a few months, I think we are one light in there.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There is no reason why if Buckley is ready, that he couldnt break through even with an additional midfielder to be fair. We have Johnson and Holtby, who has had injury problems, and Rothwell who is also needed wide left. Then Evans to come back who of course is injury prone, and with Travis out for a few months, I think we are one light in there.

We have hardly any money to spend though, another midfielder would be nice but what sort of player are we going to be able to bring in if our budget is as small as the club are letting on.I just don't see the point of bringing in another midfield player If he isn't better than what we already have.

Sub goalkeeper and first team left back should be where our money is spent 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I also like the look of young Brennan for a wide role in future. I would keep Rothwell central. Seems to work well with the more anchored Holby and Johnson.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Tons of potential and if he was made available for loan, we should be all over that. 

The questions is whether they are going to be using him in the first team or whether they want to send him out on loan to get some regular playing time. We could give him that and with our style of play he could fit right in. He likes to maraud up and down the left flank can cross and shoot too. 

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Tons of potential and if he was made available for loan, we should be all over that. 

The questions is whether they are going to be using him in the first team or whether they want to send him out on loan to get some regular playing time. We could give him that and with our style of play he could fit right in. He likes to maraud up and down the left flank can cross and shoot too. 

Yeah he looked very promising. Only thing I would say is that he wasnt testes much defensively and has little experience. Would he help to keep the goals out? But he looked good in the cup games I watched. Ideally even if it is on loan id prefer a more experienced option, Cunningham being the ideal example.

Another question might be if Everton would let him go out on loan. Baines has left and they might be short of options beyond Digne.

21 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We have hardly any money to spend though, another midfielder would be nice but what sort of player are we going to be able to bring in if our budget is as small as the club are letting on.I just don't see the point of bringing in another midfield player If he isn't better than what we already have.

Sub goalkeeper and first team left back should be where our money is spent 

I understand what you are saying, a starting left back has to be a priority. If possible though a midfielder would be ideal as I am not sure that we have enough. We have the 3 currently doing the job, although Rothwell could be needed further forward at times and Holtby has had injury issues. Evans will be a welcome return but again he has injury problems. Buckley good to have around. Not much faith in Davenport it seems. In an ideal world we could get one more in there if the budget allows after a LB and GK.

I dont really subscribe to the theory that signing players blocks the path of those we already have. If Buckley and co have the quality there is no reason that they cant play regularly either way, especially with games coming thick and fast.

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Much like Armstrong - you negate what Rothwell is good at if you play him wide left.

Hopefully Mowbray has woken up to the idea that Rothwell is a CM. 

If we're one light it's on the wings, in this 4-3-3. We currently have JRC, Dolan, Chapman and Brereton. Need A.N. Other to provide competition for when one of the aforementioned loses form / gets injured. Fortunately it's a position that is in abundance so we should be able to loan in a very good player there.

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

The plan at left back should, imo, be to get in an experienced left back (Douglas, Cunningham etc) that can pass the torch to Lewis Thompson.

Bell should strictly be a backup at this point, albeit he's played better by virtue of the goalkeeper acting as a 3rd centre back, freeing the full backs to push up to 'defend in midfield' rather than focus on defense.

I liked the look of Lewis Thompson against Man City U23s, but he's 20 already and didn't get a game at Fylde. With how poor Bell has been, you'd think they'd have thrown him in for a game last year.

Same with Pike - he looks useful, but also hasn't had a shot.

You wonder how highly rated they are at the club. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Much like Armstrong - you negate what Rothwell is good at if you play him wide left.

Hopefully Mowbray has woken up to the idea that Rothwell is a CM. 

If we're one light it's on the wings, in this 4-3-3. We currently have JRC, Dolan, Chapman and Brereton. Need A.N. Other to provide competition for when one of the aforementioned loses form / gets injured. Fortunately it's a position that is in abundance so we should be able to loan in a very good player there.

Gallagher is a shoe in for the winger role when fit.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Nah people like kicking Mowbray and saying "he has his favourites" ad nauseum. But in actuality when he drops a player and the replacement does better they keep their place. That's consistently happened.

Bennet - dropped, Evans - dropped, Walton - not renewed, Smallwood - dropped and sold, Mulgrew - dropped, Williams - dropped for Tosin.

Dolan will keep his place. Gallagher will sit on the bench.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

That's what we are afraid of as it will be the first sign of reverting to type of flogging something to death just so it works once in a while. To try and justify a signing and his wages.

Gallagher now should be made into the battering ram center forward he has the tools to be. If that means coming on the last 15 to chase down from the front seeing a lead out or chasing a game so be it.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Nah people like kicking Mowbray and saying "he has his favourites" ad nauseum. But in actuality when he drops a player and the replacement does better they keep their place. That's consistently happened.

Bennet - dropped, Evans - dropped, Walton - not renewed, Smallwood - dropped and sold, Mulgrew - dropped, Williams - dropped for Tosin.

You're right but it's the time it takes for the penny to drop that has been the issue.

I could counter what you've said there several times over in regards to most of those names but we'll just bend way off topic again.

Quite simply now the new vibrant system of playing should totally dictate team selections.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Bang on. Never understood this rhetoric that he won’t drop his favourites. He’s a manager judged on his teams performance. If he had the chance he’d replace any one of them with a better player....because it takes him closer to his and the clubs goal.

Makes no sense to suggest he’d do otherwise.

• Like 1

There are one or two exceptions who have cooked up a senseless conspiracy that the manager is purposely avoiding a potential promotion. Clearly that makes zero sense.

But Mowbray does have/has had his favourites, or has done, just like a large proportion of managers.

Bennett was being actively chosen fairly regularly out of position just because "he takes the plan out onto the pitch" up until half way through last season, when that thankfully stopped.

Gallagher was also repeatedly and unsuccessfully played out wide ad nauseum.

Mulgrew and Smallwood were given a chance in the Championship, although were removed far quicker than the above too, so far less scope for criticism there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There are one or two exceptions who have cooked up a senseless conspiracy that the manager is purposely avoiding a potential promotion. Clearly that makes zero sense.

But Mowbray does have/has had his favourites, or has done, just like a large proportion of managers.

Bennett was being actively chosen fairly regularly out of position just because "he takes the plan out onto the pitch" up until half way through last season, when that thankfully stopped.

Gallagher was also repeatedly and unsuccessfully played out wide ad nauseum.

Mulgrew and Smallwood were given a chance in the Championship, although were removed far quicker than the above too, so far less scope for criticism there.

Ultimately though, Mowbray does this kind of thing no more so and no less so than any other Championship manager, so the whole point is a bit moot in general the way I see it. It's football, managers have favourites, and at the end of the games they're judged on results

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Ultimately though, Mowbray does this kind of thing no more so and no less so than any other Championship manager, so the whole point is a bit moot in general the way I see it. It's football, managers have favourites, and at the end of the games they're judged on results

Absolutely, and equally, when Mowbray has made selections of players who he seemingly trusts, eg Bennett at full back, Gallagher out wide, and things dont work out, then he deserves the criticism he has previously received for this decisions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We have missed out a foreign players and this virus has played a part on signings from overseas. 

I don't think you comment of that we are close or actively chasing any signings is right as we would be talking to clubs and the agents of players. Plus PL clubs have 5 days of international window open. Meaning players will become available on loan when they wont be part of the 25 man squad. 

I have no idea why we need another midfield at all. Have you listen to Rothwell's interview post Derby game where he says he wants to play there and enjoying it in there. Moving him now further forward would be crazy talk to be honest. I am more than happy with the options in there and Evans will be back shortly. 

Any keeper who is still available on free is there for a reason. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I was thinking of Luke Thomas , left back from Leicester. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We have missed out a foreign players and this virus has played a part on signings from overseas. 

I don't think you comment of that we are close or actively chasing any signings is right as we would be talking to clubs and the agents of players. Plus PL clubs have 5 days of international window open. Meaning players will become available on loan when they wont be part of the 25 man squad. 

I have no idea why we need another midfield at all. Have you listen to Rothwell's interview post Derby game where he says he wants to play there and enjoying it in there. Moving him now further forward would be crazy talk to be honest. I am more than happy with the options in there and Evans will be back shortly. 

Any keeper who is still available on free is there for a reason. 

I was thinking of Luke Thomas , left back from Leicester. 

As I have said before, transfers we miss out on are of no interest to us. I judge the manager on who he gets over the line. I did mention covid and a low budget but I am just saying that we seemingly will only make the one foreign signing. Ayala is a signing I am happy with regardless of where he last played, but it is hardly the yield of foreign recruits that was made out at the start of the window. 

I just think for 3 positions in possibly the most physically demanding area of the side with the additional fixture load. We have the 3 who played at the weekend. The forever injured Evans, Buckley who has yet to fully establish himself and Davenport who has never started a game. If we can get a bit of additional quality in there, then great. We are also yet to know if Rothwell can maintain these standards in a position he hasnt really played for us before across the course of a season.

Ayala was on a free, I presume you are equally dismissive of why he was on a free?!

I was just saying that it would be totally senseless from a clubs point of view to give us a keeper to warm our bench. I am sure if it was our player going to sit on someone elses bench your viewpoint may change.

• Like 1