BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Two weeks till the next game, so a bit of time to settle and refresh after a very good start to the season. 

If we can get a good left back in that would be just about acceptable. However looking at the team you would have to say that the area we look weakest is finishing. That sounds a daft thing to say considering the ridiculous number of goals we have scored in the first four games - but Bournemouth, Wycombe and Derby all played open which really suited us. But when we got to Cardiff who sat back we really struggled as we have in the last God knows how long.

This season we have now been marked as a very dangerous team, and as a result that most sides will sit deeper against us. Who do we have who can reliably finish in that sort of a game? Just Armstrong and Dack, both of them small lads who will look for a bit of space in the box which is very hard to come by if there are 10 players behind the ball. What you really want is someone to mix it up who can get his head or foot on the crosses that come in and get a shot on target or a knock down for a team mate. For the money we spent Brereton or Gallagher should offer that but sadly they don't. I can see it turning into a major problem as the season wears on.

I suppose something we could look at in the next Cardiff style situation is to flip the 433 into a 4312 in the second half and try and crowd the box with bodies. Need more quality from the full backs in terms of crossing though. 

-------------------Kaminski

JRC-----Lenihan-----Williams-----New LB?

------Holtby-----Johnson-----Rothwell

---------------------Dack

-----------Gallagher----Armstrong

Basically get all of Gallagher, Dack, and Armstrong into the box while JRC and the (hopefully) new left back send decent crosses in as the other team sits. A quality proper centreforward would make a lot of difference though. Instead we are in the position where we are hoping Gallagher can offer a target role against all the evidence, rather than being able to rely on it. 

That said we should stick with our 433 with Dolan to start etc but just have the above in the back pocket if we are struggling. I think Dack could be back after the international break?

Also I note Connor McBride seems to be finishing very well for the under 23s. I don't really see the harm in giving him a chance in the first team soonish. Repeatedly the under 23s players have played very well when promoted to the first team. There's a decent chance he would be much the same. If he can offer some finishing quality that we can bring on in the last 30 mins of games it would be a huge bonus.

Name escapes me for some reason, Joe We sold him to Blackpool, was scoring for fun in the U-23s too but a ways off being good enough for Championship footy.  Ah Nuttall Joe Nuttall.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Two weeks till the next game, so a bit of time to settle and refresh after a very good start to the season. 

If we can get a good left back in that would be just about acceptable. However looking at the team you would have to say that the area we look weakest is finishing. That sounds a daft thing to say considering the ridiculous number of goals we have scored in the first four games - but Bournemouth, Wycombe and Derby all played open which really suited us. But when we got to Cardiff who sat back we really struggled as we have in the last God knows how long.

This season we have now been marked as a very dangerous team, and as a result that most sides will sit deeper against us. Who do we have who can reliably finish in that sort of a game? Just Armstrong and Dack, both of them small lads who will look for a bit of space in the box which is very hard to come by if there are 10 players behind the ball. What you really want is someone to mix it up who can get his head or foot on the crosses that come in and get a shot on target or a knock down for a team mate. For the money we spent Brereton or Gallagher should offer that but sadly they don't. I can see it turning into a major problem as the season wears on.

I suppose something we could look at in the next Cardiff style situation is to flip the 433 into a 4312 in the second half and try and crowd the box with bodies. Need more quality from the full backs in terms of crossing though. 

-------------------Kaminski

JRC-----Lenihan-----Williams-----New LB?

------Holtby-----Johnson-----Rothwell

---------------------Dack

-----------Gallagher----Armstrong

Basically get all of Gallagher, Dack, and Armstrong into the box while JRC and the (hopefully) new left back send decent crosses in as the other team sits. A quality proper centreforward would make a lot of difference though. Instead we are in the position where we are hoping Gallagher can offer a target role against all the evidence, rather than being able to rely on it. 

That said we should stick with our 433 with Dolan to start etc but just have the above in the back pocket if we are struggling. I think Dack could be back after the international break?

Also I note Connor McBride seems to be finishing very well for the under 23s. I don't really see the harm in giving him a chance in the first team soonish. Repeatedly the under 23s players have played very well when promoted to the first team. There's a decent chance he would be much the same. If he can offer some finishing quality that we can bring on in the last 30 mins of games it would be a huge bonus.

Tony said about a week ago that Dack is 4-6 weeks away. 

19 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Grosicki joining Olympiacos and then immediately joining Forest on loan.

This is a loophole that surely needs to be closed off? No FFP problems for Forest, the transfer fee goes against Olympiacos and then presumably a free loan with wages split across the 2 clubs

If only we could be so creative.  Good player 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

This is a loophole that surely needs to be closed off? No FFP problems for Forest, the transfer fee goes against Olympiacos and then presumably a free loan with wages split across the 2 clubs

Bad  news for our game in two weeks' time

10 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Sans injury, I do not see Rovers making any moves now. It would be great to get in a quality LB, or depth, but with the decent start by Bell, 3 clean sheets, etc, I do not see it happening. 

16 October is our window closure. 

And free agents like the Norwegian left back can join at any time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

What on earth is there in that for Olympiacos?

22 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He played against Northern Ireland in the last round of international games. He is an attacking full back. Did good from what I can remember of the game?

Pretty sure you said something along the lines of, "If Maddisson is so good, how comes nobody has signed him on a free yet?" about a week or two ago. Does this not apply here?

I dont have an opinion either way as never seen him, just hope he is better than Bell.

• Like 1

Good for Forest. Bad for us.

That's what owners and clubs determined to beat the system do - find clever ways of getting round the rules to bring good players in despite FFP.

Do I like it? No

Should it be banned? Yes

Is it in breach of any rules? No, and if it gets them where they want to be they'll be happy.

We'll just sit on the sidelines shrieking about how unfair life is and how much of a struggle it is.

Derby were another lot with their dodgy Rooney deal. Got away with it.

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

His stories very much are re hashed stories from other sources, whilst his responses to the bloody thirsty transfer mob on twitter asking about rumours every day cause a bit more problems, he usually tries to get a best picture from whats in public domain and be as a cryptic and non committal as possible to make it look like he knows what he is on about.

Yup, whenever i read his stories, there is nothing new. I already knew it whether from on here via rumors, Twitter, or anywhere else online. I could do his job easily.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 47er said:

Good coming forward, runs with the ball at pace. I think his crossing has improved in the few game of this season. He's young, should be the back-up while we "bring him on".

If he doesn't develop enough, well he didn't cost much in the first place.

He's 26, so not that young. Still room for improvement though, and has played fairly well so far this season.

57 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Forest pulling off fast ones again. Both owned by the same owner. he is using Olymiacos funds to buy a player to give to Forest. WTF

43 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Sans injury, I do not see Rovers making any moves now. It would be great to get in a quality LB, or depth, but with the decent start by Bell, 3 clean sheets, etc, I do not see it happening. 

We won't sign anybody today but domestic window open until the 16th still expect at least 2 additions before that closes

12 hours ago, yankfan said:

If we’re going to sign a Norwegian left back, might as well be the best one in the country on a free...even if he’s not better than Bell, we need cover at left back anyway. 

If only he was the best ;) I personally rate Birger Meling higher, but think Lagerbäck doesn't rate the domestic league (Meling left to join Nimes in July) and possibly feels Norway are vulnerable on set pieces with two smaller fullbacks. He has a very statistic driven approach.

That Forest deal for Grosicki puts them in a bad light and should be looked at.

Has Downing found himself a new club yet? 

If we do sign this Norwegian LB, can that really be attributed to our foreign scouting network or is just down to we are looking for scraps from the remaining out of contract players? Dont need scouts for that, just go to transfermarkt. I know what I think it is. Still, could be good and he would have to be terrible to be worse than Bell. 

1 minute ago, Kie_BRFC said:

What do you want us to do, buy another club by the end of the window so we can loan ourselves a player?

No, but there would be nothing stopping the owners doing that for future windows if they wanted. They could have done it last year or 3 years ago had they been determined to beat FFP.

Of course they won't do it, because they don't have the interest, desire or wherewithal to do anything about it. Much easier just to trot out the 'woe is us' routine every time a window comes around.

Plenty of ways to skin the FFP cat, you can either tackle it head on - see QPR, Bournemouth, Leicester, Derby, Forest, Watford - or you can get left behind and spend the rest of your days whinging about it - see Waggott and Rovers.

• Like 1

I'm not defending Venky's one bit, but don't think they can be given stick for not buying another club, they're losing enough money on this one. Would rather not run the risk of dodgy agents sticking their noses in again. 

I do agree, they definitely could've found other ways to get around FFP, but like you say they're not interested enough.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

I'm not defending Venky's one bit, but don't think they can be given stick for not buying another club, they're losing enough money on this one. Would rather not run the risk of dodgy agents sticking their noses in again. 

I do agree, they definitely could've found other ways to get around FFP, but like you say they're not interested enough.

I'm not giving them stick for not doing it. Just pointing out that there are ways and means for those owners determined enough to get where they want to be.

Nothing ever happens here other than this 'developing' players routine (which we risk losing for nothing due to the contract situation).

It's a bit like the Wolves one - their owners came in with a determination and a plan of how to do it and rolled with it. It involved all sorts of shenanigans with the Portuguese players and Jorge Mendes. Might not be what the nice folk want to see with an agent running the show but now Wolves are changed beyond recognition for the better whilst we kick around skint in the Championship. It worked for them and they beat FFP.

45 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

Didn’t they own Pune FC ?