BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

9 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Barry Bannan is a class player at this level. He'd walk into our midfield and nearly every other midfield in the Championship. Very good footballer.

Very true, he would be our best midfielder.

Not sure where your quoted post has gone, but ultimately Brentford fans may be raging, but there is probably more trust there because they repeatedly sell players and replace with equal quality. Maupay, Hogan, Watkins, Gray etc. Now they have Ivan Toney who has 3 goals in 4 so far. When Armstrong and Dack go, the signings of Gallagher and Brereton come into sharper focus.

5 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Get this left back sorted on loan by Friday and this has been a really solid window.

The next problem arises very quickly though, contract renewals. We have a lot of 1st teamers out of contract out of contract and that needs sorting before the January window.

In the current climate these contracts might be tougher to renew so if we a re not proactive we could end up with another rebuild next summer. 

As it stands we have a top half championship core squad now  if we don't get promotion we will just need to add a few flourishes and prop up one or two positions in the summer.

Very true on contracts although I cant see promotion aside how it is in their best interests to commit their long term future to us just yet, especially Dack and Armstrong. They are in a position of power with a year on their contract should they not be satisfied with our progress, have productive individual seasons and attract interest as is very possible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wasnt really counting him as a midfielder. They arent really comparable. 

If they're not comparable then how can you say Barry Bannan would be the best midfielder at the club?

Edited by JoeH

1 minute ago, Butty said:

Two completely different players, ones a centre mid and ones a number 10. Both class though. 

Both midfielders to me, one more attacking than the other of course.

6 minutes ago, philipl said:

Fans used to big up our own players.

These days we big up everybody else's.

Another Championship Manager game by-product?

No, just a sign of the defeatism that years of Venky's rule has brought about.

Nothing to do with 'Championship Manager', which changed its name to Football Manager some 10 years ago ish, and I don't know why you keep referring to it so often or blaming every misconception of fans on it (often in ways which have nothing to do with it). Most people who play it can tell the difference between the game and reality.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Who said that though?I seen a few say IF we sign Douglas we would all surely be happy with our window.It will be a good window IF we sign Douglas or another left back of similar ability.

Joe H was citing a back 4 with Douglas in as evidence that the defence wasn't the same as 3 years ago etc etc.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Played at a higher level for much longer period.

Bannan is a great midfielder in this division, play Holtby in the Premier League and Bannan in the Premier League and I think you'd see Holtby's classier touch and experience in the top flight shine through, but Barry knows this league and runs through opposition midfields like melted butter. 

Dack still far and away superior however, and why he's discounted from being compared with Mr Bannan is beyond me.

9 minutes ago, philipl said:

Fans used to big up our own players.

These days we big up everybody else's.

Another Championship Manager game by-product?

Not really, Bannan has been as good as any midfielder at this level over the last 10 years, im sure many regular watchers of the Championship might agree. Perhaps similar to Ayala as a CB.

Is criticising the supporters of your own club as if they are some savage mob come matchday also a by product of Championship manager?

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If they're not comparable then how can you say Barry Bannan be the best midfielder at the club?

Dack is an attacking midfielder, not the same position really, he could potentially be considered more of a forward.

For pedantics sake, if Dack counts then maybe second best.

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Joe H was citing a back 4 with Douglas in that the defence wasn't the same as 3 years ago etc etc.

No. I was citing the conversation which said "IF WE SIGN DOUGLAS". I said a back four of Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala and Douglas (IF DOUGLAS SIGNS) isn't the same back four as four years ago. 

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Both midfielders to me, one more attacking than the other of course.

Do you think when Dacks fit he can play in the midfield three we are currently operating? I’m not sure it’s a role that would get the best out of him personally. 

Just now, bluebruce said:

Nothing to do with 'Championship Manager', which changed its name to Football Manager some 10 years ago ish, and I don't know why you keep referring to it so often or blaming every misconception of fans on it (often in ways which have nothing to do with it). Most people who play it can tell the difference between the game and reality.

Indeed. In fact I've generally found that Football Manager players know their stuff when it comes to football. People brought up on nothing but Fifa, however, can be a different story at times :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Holtby has a more glittering CV but has struggled for consistency and durability during his time here. He is definitely talented but I am unconvinced that he could make an impact in the Premier League at this stage, indeed he didnt really impact on it much last time.

Impacted the Premier League far more than Barry Bannan however, and for me would do better in that division than him.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Impacted the Premier League far more than Barry Bannan however, and for me would do better in that division than him.

Im not sure he did "far more" because as I said he did very little himself but Bannan was very young when he came through at Villa, he has spent the main part of his career at Championship level.

Im unconvinced that there is much evidence that possibly going towards the twilight of their careers that either would do much at Premier League level.

Holtby has a more exotic CV but he came having been released following a season in the second division in Germany.

I am not putting him down, Bannan is a brilliant Championship midfielder. Holtby has been a little underwhelming overall in a Rovers shirt but I am optimistic that he can have a better season this season.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Holtby has a more glittering CV but has struggled for consistency and durability during his time here. He is definitely talented but I am unconvinced that he could make an impact in the Premier League at this stage, indeed he didnt really impact on it much last time.

He has had injurys whilst here and was playing further forward.He seems to have found a place that suits him playing deeper now and although only for a short period he has looked a class above in the games so far.

I agree that Bannan is a top class midfielder in the championship, but comparing Bannans and Holtby careers like chalk n cheese, Holtby has spent the majority of his career at top division clubs whilst Bannan has spent it in the championship.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure he did "far more" because as I said he did very little himself but Bannan was very young when he came through at Villa, he has spent the main part of his career at Championship level.

Im unconvinced that there is much evidence that possibly going towards the twilight of their careers that either would do much at Premier League level.

Holtby has a more exotic CV but he came having been released following a season in the second division in Germany.

I am not putting him down, Bannan is a brilliant Championship midfielder. Holtby has been a little underwhelming overall in a Rovers shirt but I am optimistic that he can have a better season this season.

I don’t claim either would do well in the Premier League, I claim that comparatively Holtby would do better than Bannan. Bannan suits the Championship and for me Holtby’s experience and play style suits the Premier League.

Whilst both are past their best, I think Holtby would definitely do better (how much better that is I don’t know).

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

If Douglas is as good going forwards as people say then he'll be a huge asset. Hopefully he can cross it because it will make a big difference to have a threat down both flanks.(bot sure BB & Bell are much of a threat as far as assists go)

I ageee. It’ll help Brereton down the left side to have a competent left back in place. Will require much less defensive responsibility and allow him a bit more freedom to stay forward