BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

I can't for the life of me see any sense in us buying Pears at this stage of the game. Seems a ludicrous move. The Greek kid disappointed them already? They're loaning him out too (seems unlikely since probably nobody in England's lower leagues has heard of him)? They're selling Fisher rather than loaning him? They're loaning Eastham out too?

Without one of the above, what's going on here? We don't need 3 goalies for the u23s, plus another one out on loan, and none of them are the backup.

We do however, so we have been told, need money, so spending some on Pears feels reminiscent of the Smallwood and Hart extensions...

Edited by bluebruce

38 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

obviously Harry Wilson is a quality player but does he not play off the right where Dolan plays?

If Wilson signs, he starts ahead of Dolan for me. Dolan has been impressive but Wilson's quality is plain to see. Dolan would still get plenty of time off the bench as an impact sub & starts with rotation. Unquestionably more time on the pitch for the first team than he would've expected at the start of the season. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

If Wilson signs, he starts ahead of Dolan for me. Dolan has been impressive but Wilson's quality is plain to see. Dolan would still get plenty of time off the bench as an impact sub & starts with rotation. Unquestionably more time on the pitch for the first team than he would've expected at the start of the season. 

Don't think we have to worry about who starts between Wilson and Dolan.He won't be coming here

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Wont have to worry about that.

• Moderation Lead

Harry Wilson would be one hell of a signing, but I can’t see us being able to afford him.

Which is fair enough to be honest, I’d rather we spent the cash we have on players we need, rather than luxuries. Plus, I’d have thought he’d be holding out for a PL move, having played there last year.

6 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Which is fair enough to be honest, I’d rather we spent the cash we have on players we need, rather than luxuries. Plus, I’d have thought he’d be holding out for a PL move, having played there last year.

He can't move to a Premiership club until January.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Harry Wilson would be one hell of a signing, but I can’t see us being able to afford him.

He can't move to a premier league club at least until January.Prem to Prem transfers ain't permitted in this second window .

We won't sign him but say it is likely he will join a championship team on loan before deadline

Well if Mowbray brings in 2 or 3, I don't think he can have any excuse whatsoever if he fails to get us promoted this season when many on here think we've had a great window.

Get us up this season or on yer bike Mowbray - you've had both enough time and backing in the transfer market. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Well if Mowbray brings in 2 or 3, I don't think he can have any excuse whatsoever if he fails to get us promoted this season when many on here think we've had a great window.

Get us up this season or on yer bike Mowbray - you've had both enough time and backing in the transfer market. 

Is that a backhanded compliment that if we get 2/3 in then it’s been a good window..?

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Nice one mate, then let’s give the job to a random who has no relationship with this young squad which has been built and hope for the best. If he fails, sack him, try again, and again.

God forbid we try and build a club again.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wood26 said:

Nice one mate, then let’s give the job to a random who has no relationship with this young squad which has been built and hope for the best. If he fails, sack him, try again, and again.

God forbid we try and build a club again.

To "build a club" you dont necessarily have to stick to a manager indefinitely. If Mowbray was to go at the end of the season, it would be following 4 and a half years as manager, he is already I think the longest serving manager in the division, so it wouldnt be a rash, impatient decision should this be his final season. 

Ultimately, the target has to be top 6. Of course, that leaves scope for still not getting promoted but it would be tangible progress even if we made the play offs and didnt win them. If he can get us in the top 6 this season, that would be the sign of progression. Another mid table finish (or worse) would for me be the time to signal a change, accepting that Mowbray very much has left us in a capable position, has maybe hit a wall, and we might have to sell one or two dependant on their willingness to commit long term, and then that would potentially be the time for some fresh ideas. I think that is a fair and realistic target for a manager entrusted with time and resources to date.

• Like 5

Before getting carried away we need to understand what sort of additions these mysterious '2 or 3' players are going to be.

Obviously if we sign 3 and in doing so strengthen 3 or 4 areas of the pitch with quality then we will all be delighted and optimistic for the rest of the season. I think this is what we need to be doing to have any chance of sustaining our current early position.

If we sign 2 or 3 and they comprise another backup goalkeeper and some unheard of kid in midfield who we are getting to try and develop then I'm not sure how much further along we will be.

Pears, Douglas and a lad in midfield would be a bit meh, because I think only one of them would immediately improve the side.

Douglas and two other established players along with Downing would be very nice indeed, because we could improve 2-3 positions plus add valuable experience and versatility in Downing.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1