BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Whiteman excites me, strikes as what Bradley Johnson was 5-10 years ago.

Bradley Johnson 5 years ago (Norwich) was probably the best CM in the whole of the Championship. £2m would be worth every penny for that player.

Certainly the most impressive single game performance (I've seen in this division) ironically came from him at Ewood in 2015 when I think he scored a bit of a worldie in a 2-1 win for them back in the Bowyer days.

**For the record, the best ever (visiting) Ewood performance will be either Vieira or Henry.**

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

That story links directly to this transfer thread in the Whiteman section - which means the rumor came directly from Sparks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I wasn't discrediting you. I stated my opinion. Albeit I went into more detail than "Decent shout but", I still gave my opinion. If you're after someone who'll say things like that then I'm not your guy, and you may as well use the 'ignore' option for me.

I've never once discredited you as a poster on this message-board, I'm simply stating my opinion on what you suggested, as everyone is welcome to do / should be encouraged to do in my opinion.

I didn't say you were discrediting the poster, personally, just that you were discrediting his suggestion. Obviously you're fine to disagree. However it did come across (to a neutral here) as a bit dismissive, and for reasons bound in fuzzy and inconsistent logic tbh. Anyway, we all move on.

Personally I saw the post and initially thought 'Eh, why would we pay 2 million for Bristol's third choice CB', but I think the poster justified his opinion well. I just want someone who, at the end of the day, fixes this problem position. Cost is almost immaterial. You can get a fantastic player for cheap or free, or a total flop for 5 million, we all know that by now. Lots of our least inspiring buys have turned out to be great ones. I'll never forget that Samba was rotting away in Hertha's reserves or that Nelsen came from the MLS, which was even weaker at the time. We spent a pretty penny for the likes of Peacock and Dailly who were gash on toast.

4 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

**For the record, the best ever (visiting) Ewood performance will be either Vieira or Henry.**

It'll be Henry. That guy used to embarrass us. Terrified me every time he ran with the ball. Not that Vieira wasn't an exceptional player who ran the engine room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

Zolas debut for Chelsea

Fair shout. Don't remember that one specifically but that magic man ripped us up a few times. Still Henry for me, but all these years later I struggle to remember specific performances for anyone. Van Persie and Torres always used to put the fear in me too.

14 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It'll be Henry. That guy used to embarrass us. Terrified me every time he ran with the ball. Not that Vieira wasn't an exceptional player who ran the engine room.

I thought Payet had a sprinkling of stardust when he played at Ewood a few seasons back...where did he go....?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Patrick Bauer was a free agent. Ajayi was around 2m and helped West Brom go up. Ethan Pinnock cost around 3m from Barnsley and has been right up there in terms of defenders in the division. Tobias Fegueiredo cost up to 2m from abroad. Shaun Hutchinson was picked up by Millwall on a free a few years ago. Michael Morrison was picked up by Reading on a free. Liam Cooper was a minimal fee who has been there for ages. Curtis Nelson was a freebie from Oxford last summer, has been outstanding. All of these players were in defences that conceded less goals than we did.

We need to lose this idea that we need to spend massive money to build a capable defence. We are already at an advantage in that 2 of our defence (and our keeper before he was sold) are academy graduates. We also need to lose this notion that we need a rolls royce of a centre back, the priority has to be to build a defence that keeps the ball out of the net more, any other things are very much of secondary importance.

Yes there is some good defenders available on free or for a low fee. 

I wanted us to sign Ajayi last summer. Would have been a top signing. 

We could have sign Webster from Ipswich when we got promoted instead we didn't. Didn't you mention John Egan as possible signing at that time?

2 hours ago, Butty said:

Danny Ward had a great season for Huddersfield the season they got promoted from the Championship, he signed for Leicester in 2018 but hasn’t made one league appearance yet. He’s 27 now so surely he’ll want to be a number 1 soon enough, very good keeper. Doubt we’d be able to afford a fee but if Leicester were willing to loan him out we should be all over that. Decent number two for them to have though so it’s probably unlikely. 

I never understood why Danny Ward moved to Leicester to be number 2 cos he wasn't going to replace Schmeichel as number 1 unless he left. Another career wasted so far by sitting on the bench there

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes there is some good defenders available on free or for a low fee. 

I wanted us to sign Ajayi last summer. Would have been a top signing. 

We could have sign Webster from Ipswich when we got promoted instead we didn't. Didn't you mention John Egan as possible signing at that time?

I never understood why Danny Ward moved to Leicester to be number 2 cos he wasn't going to replace Schmeichel as number 1 unless he left. Another career wasted so far by sitting on the bench there

The focus should be on a solid and sturdy defence. Ball playing centre backs, really attacking full backs, no, we need to stop the goals going into our net first.

• Like 5

I haven't been watching Wigan, and I know they've gone down, but they actually conceded 7 less than us, in fact less than everyone except for 8 of the top 9 placed teams, and their run of clean sheets near the end of the season was phenomenal. It just makes me think their back four and keeper situation has to be worth a close look. I know they had the lad who was Milan-bound, and we obviously have no chance of him, but the rest...Wigan will be very vulnerable to lowball offers right now.

Anyway know if they have anyone who could do the job for us? I know a few on here wanted us to get the keeper they signed last summer, Marshall wasn't it?

Edited by bluebruce

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The focus should be on a solid and sturdy defence. Ball playing centre backs, really attacking full backs, no, we need to stop the goals going into our net first.

Youi can have both IMO. 

If we are going to be more attacking possession based side then we need to improve our full backs going forward. 

You can have a good ball playing centre back who can defend properly aswell. Look at Hector at Fulham. 

I would look at Rob Dickie at Oxford. rated at Oxford by football league reporters and journalists. 

I Would like us look at Ayala. Ex Boro defender. I wouldn't be surprise if Mowbray and scouts have a look or looking at Barcelona B defender Chumi. 21 years old Spanish centre back. Out of contract

• Like 2

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

What is galling, we could have had him for nowt last season with lower wages than we will end up paying him if he does sign.  

Should have an update later this afternoon 

Anything yet?

A meeting with the player last Friday sounds like we're further along than a bid?

Edited by Mike E

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I haven't been watching Wigan, and I know they've gone down, but they actually conceded 7 less than us, in fact less than everyone except for 8 of the top 9 placed teams, and their run of clean sheets near the end of the season was phenomenal. It just makes me think their back four and keeper situation has to be worth a close look. I know they had the lad who was Milan-bound, and we obviously have no chance of him, but the rest...Wigan will be very vulnerable to lowball offers right now.

Anyway know if they have anyone who could do the job for us? I know a few on here wanted us to get the keeper they signed last summer, Marshall wasn't it?

West Brom are interested in the left back who nearly joined Milan. I've only seen him once but he looked a top notch fullback. He had all the ingredients.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Youi can have both IMO. 

If we are going to be more attacking possession based side then we need to improve our full backs going forward. 

You can have a good ball playing centre back who can defend properly aswell. Look at Hector at Fulham. 

I would look at Rob Dickie at Oxford. rated at Oxford by football league reporters and journalists. 

I Would like us look at Ayala. Ex Boro defender. I wouldn't be surprise if Mowbray and scouts have a look or looking at Barcelona B defender Chumi. 21 years old Spanish centre back. Out of contract

Of course you can have both - if you're Barcelona, PSG or Real.

We're playing in a league were you don't need to football your way out if you can graft. Just ask Dyche.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Of course you can have both - if you're Barcelona, PSG or Real.

We're playing in a league were you don't need to football your way out if you can graft. Just ask Dyche.

Or Just ask Leeds or WBA or Norwich who play Football and get out of this division. 

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How many of them do you think will be back in this division this time next year ? You're just as bad as Mowbray, over complicating what is essentially a simple game.

There is more than one way to play football at this level and achieve results at this level. 

Leeds and WBA won't be IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Thought you said we couldn’t compete with their budgets?

Was Norwich budget bigger than ours when they got promotion? 

We can't matched Leeds or WBA wage bill