BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Lenihan has a bit of gravitas, presence about him. And some real bravery and aggression. Ideal captain material. 

Bennett is Jason Lowe without the bleep test records.

Yeah, Bennett would never have out muscled Bilic like Darragh did....Gaelic Football tough.

• Like 1

Nothing against Bennett he fills in wherever he's given a berth but his natural starting position should always be the bench. There are enough bodies now to cover before him. The manager constantly finding him a place or any excuse to plonk him in is almost suspicious now if this was Kean or Coyle it would be.

I'm cast iron certain Mowbray would sell Nyambe tomorrow for a few million then hand that spot to Bennett that's how odd it looks. I'd happy keep Bennett as squad utility number 1 man but the managers obsession means he's almost his star player so will continue to jump over others to be included.

He has similar traits with Samuel, as long as he's around he'll get on regularly and continue to show he's a level below where he's at.

It's sickening now some lower league managers would kill for a Bennett or a Samuel most Championship mangers above the bottom five wouldn't look at them. Plenty in our position and above would also kill to be able to spend 7 million on a long shot prospect or 5 million on a forward to play out of position.  Also to be able to pay wages to the likes of Downing, Holtby and Tosin or waste on Mulgrew.

I can't help but think this managers odd systems and selections are somewhat wasting what opportunities are available.

• Like 4

Just now, tomphil said:

I'm cast iron certain Mowbray would sell Nyambe tomorrow for a few million then hand that spot to Bennett that's how odd it looks. I'd happy keep Bennett as squad utility number 1 man but the managers obsession means he's almost his star player so will continue to jump over others to be included. 

Wouldn't even keep Bennett as backup to be honest. Must be lads in the U23s who can run around and tub thump on Twitter. 

• Like 2

I know Bennett is getting a slating, and I will say he's never been a fullback so it is ridiculous to shoehorn him in there. But watch the goal again from last night.

Walton has the ball, and he advances up the pitch in order to stretch play. But once we lose the ball he should be busting a gut to get back. He is still strolling back when the guy knocks the ball in in the right back position.

Benno can't even say he was busy watching the replay like the rest of us !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SeJoqOpRdU

Apologies if this was mentioned at the time but I've flicked through and can't see the goal specifically referred to.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Only a matter of time before a club, probably in the Championship, comes in with a cheeky bid for Nyambe, probably encouraged by his agent. Why not when he is missing out to a mediocre midfielder. With his physique alone he is worth a punt.

Rovers will then see the pound signs and in the absence of any direction or communication from India will be persuaded to sell him for a relatively low fee and he will quickly exit stage left with minimal fanfare. That money will be needed by Waggott to keep things ticking over. 

Mowbray won't be bothered as he clearly isn't a Nyambe fan and it will open up RB to boy wonder for next season.

The PR machine will have to go into overdrive though. Selling a promising and popular young player to a rival needs dressing up so expect a Ben Marshall style campaign.

First it will be talk about him having his head turned by others, then it will be him refusing to sign a new deal, then it will be Mowbray deciding to sell so to reinvest the proceeds into better signings.

None of which will actually be true or happen, but it is the old stunt of shift blame and responsibility away from Ewood and onto the departed player.

Next news is we will have idiots at Ewood booing him (Tom Cairney) believing he sought a move away and people on the Internet saying that we had no choice because he wanted out.

They think we are all stupid but I and many others have come to learn how they operate and how this works.

Great post. This should be pinned as a tick list during the close season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I agree with most of that, but I'd still play Adarabioyo. He's the glue at the moment. 

I would disagree with that, for all of Adarabioyo's additional composure, Lenihan has always been the glue there, and for all of his rashness and imperfection, he is the dominant one and by far the best defender. When Williams played next to Lenihan, we kept winning. When Williams played with Adarabioyo during Lenihan's absence, and when Nyambe did during Lenihan's suspension, we reverted back to our flimsy self.

That being said, we will probably have to play him because of how neglected that area is. Unless we give Carter a do.

• Like 2

Did anyone else also spot last night how a number of our better players seem to deliberately avoid passing to Bennett?

I spotted a few times last night where Bennet was completely unmarked on the RHS and players like Downing & Holtby looked and then turned inside, preferring to try & beat 2 men before playing a pass rather than playing the simple 'correct' ball to Bennett.

To be fair I don't blame them, you may as well just kick it out of play!

Time to go Tony!

• Like 2

Constant reader of the forum but felt like I need to reply to this...

I read someone's post a while ago but I wasn't sure it was true but I think the what ifs and close margins to this season, I think that post thats stuck in my mind could actually have been true, I went something like this....

I dont actually think mowbray and 70% of the team actually want to get promoted.

You've got mowbray who knows he won't get a better job than this one, and if he gets us promoted with the current structure of the club he will fail and will get himself sacked and then be out of a job and not racking up a pension,

You've then got the likes of Bennett, Williams, Bell, Evans, Smallwood, Samuel, Johnson and you could even count Gallagher, Brereton, Rothwell, Graham who know they're not good enough for the premiership, if we did get promoted they wouldn't cut the mustard and would need to be replaced or be in their twilight years and have to try and find another club lower down and move the whole family again.

Every time we get within whiskers of the playoffs, there's no urgency, no determination, no arte et labore! We then drop off, and they show what we need to see and pull off results by all playing as a team to then repeat. 

It just doesnt make sense for them to be promoted because they're comfortable at this football club.

Mowbray has done an amazing job over the last 3 /4 years and we'll hold him forever grateful but i think its time for him to go.

Sorry for whoevers original post this was along the lines of but its resonated in me for the last 6 or so months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I would disagree with that, for all of Adarabioyo's additional composure, Lenihan has always been the glue there, and for all of his rashness and imperfection, he is the dominant one and by far the best defender. When Williams played next to Lenihan, we kept winning. When Williams played with Adarabioyo during Lenihan's absence, and when Nyambe did during Lenihan's suspension, we reverted back to our flimsy self.

That being said, we will probably have to play him because of how neglected that area is. Unless we give Carter a do.

Lenihan lumps it forward. Abarabioyo plays it to a teammate's feet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

I know Bennett is getting a slating, and I will say he's never been a fullback so it is ridiculous to shoehorn him in there. But watch the goal again from last night.

Walton has the ball, and he advances up the pitch in order to stretch play. But once we lose the ball he should be busting a gut to get back. He is still strolling back when the guy knocks the ball in in the right back position.

Benno can't even say he was busy watching the replay like the rest of us !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SeJoqOpRdU

Apologies if this was mentioned at the time but I've flicked through and can't see the goal specifically referred to.

The only reason I never mentioned it was the replays didn't show his movement during the goal buildup (or if any did I was looking for something else at the time). But that video shows clearly what I suspected from what I could see, that Bennett wasn't working hard enough to get back into position and get his man during a clearly dangerous attack. Especially frustrating as I've always said working hard is the one thing you can expect from him.

I'm so sick of seeing this lad start games when he isn't earning it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Lenihan lumps it forward. Abarabioyo plays it to a teammate's feet. 

Very true but defensively, Lenihan is the better of the 2. Adarabioyo is so composed on the ball but considering how our increased possession doesnt amount to anything tangible anyway, maybe hes a little wasted here.

Lenihan has missed 9 games this season, 6 with injury, 2 with suspension and 1 due to the birth of his child. Out of them, we lost 6, drew 2 and won only 1.

Adarabioyo has missed 8 games, of which we won 3, drew 3 and lost 2.

I know it isn't as straightforward as that but I think Lenihan is more important.

I bet we have a downgrade on Adarabioyo next year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

Just turned 60.  I was in the BBE that night as usual - didn't gravitate to the RS til my early twenties.  Saw nothing at all.  I remember that Birdy.  I used to stand a few rails and steps away from him.  In those days us kids could afford entry with our paper round money.  They need parents to pay for them these days.

I think Birdy once lived on Kidder Street. I recall coming out of the Blackburn End once after a home defeat and seeing Birdy standing in his doorway, casually toying with big spanner.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Nyambe has his flaws but the one thing you can never accuse him of is a lack of effort. The lad busts a gut up and down the flank throughout every match. 

In fairness though I never normally would accuse Bennett of it. Maybe his legs are going. If that happens he's entirely useless instead of just a sub-par liability.

Very true but defensively, Lenihan is the better of the 2. Adarabioyo is so composed on the ball but considering how our increased possession doesnt amount to anything tangible anyway, maybe hes a little wasted here.

Lenihan has missed 9 games this season, 6 with injury, 2 with suspension and 1 due to the birth of his child. Out of them, we lost 6, drew 2 and won only 1.

Adarabioyo has missed 8 games, of which we won 3, drew 3 and lost 2.

I know it isn't as straightforward as that but I think Lenihan is more important.

I bet we have a downgrade on Adarabioyo next year.

A very interesting set of stats. Shows how vital Lenihan is and that he is more important to us. Tbh that's a tad worrying given his injury record. 

That said I don't think the possession stuff is as wasted it we might first appear.  It's often when the ball is constantly given back to the opposition that it invites pressure onto the defence, resulting in more goals. So I imagine that us retaining possession through Tosin actually probably does make a difference to the amount of pressure on our defence and limits the number of attacks. It's probably one of the reasons the current defensive partnership works so well. That said, I would agree, the out and out defending of Lenihan probably is of greater value.  

Edit: Just a thought but could also the lack of Lenihan and the stats showing more defeats when this happen be attributed to the lack of his leadership skills. When Lenihan is missing there isn't much leadership and it's probably then when ahem, our favourite "right back, is "leading" the team? Just another factor/thought on the influence of Lenihan.    

Edited by Blue blood

exactly why he is key player of this squad and someone we need to continue build the team around for next season. 

Should be captain now aswell

7 hours ago, arbitro said:

It's quite simple to me. Nyambe seems to be a quiet, humble lad who won't cause a fuss when he is dropped in favour of Elliot Bennett-Mowbray. 

It's another example for me of Mowbray picking the low hanging fruit.

I work in HR and I have to say I see it time and time again. Managers pick on those who won't create a fuss, whilst leaving those who might alone. I would say it's a less likely occurrence on football due to the nature of the game, but not here! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DE. said:

Nyambe has his flaws but the one thing you can never accuse him of is a lack of effort. The lad busts a gut up and down the flank throughout every match. 

Nyambe has all the attributes to develop into a PL full back.

He needs a consistent run of games to speed up his development.

Some of the stuff Mowbray comes out with, IMO, can't do the lad's confidence much good and neither can the regular selection of Bennett over him.

With a quality manager and or coach to help him, he could become top class - Kenny and Ray Harford would have made him a real player.

I fear we will lose him and just like Raya, he will excel at his new club. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, rigger said:

Baird was a right bastard to young lads going away. There was an audible sigh of relief if he didn’t get on your coach.

I think he was known as Church Birdy, as in Church near Accy. I went on the coach to Orient away, the game where Waggy got the first ever red card. Birdy supped a bottle of whisky (or something similar) and threw the empty bottle down the coach. It hit a lad on the back of the head, cutting his head open. We pulled in at a motorway services near Birmingham and an ambulance was called. We ended up getting to Orient at half time because of all this. That Birdy was an absolute nightmare and God help anyone getting on the wrong side of him. There were other antics from him on the coach and half the lads on it decided to make their own way back from London rather than risking a beating from him. The coach was half empty on the way back. I just kept my head down and I think by then Birdy was in a drunken stupor and just slept it off, thankfully.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Nyambe has all the attributes to develop into a PL full back.

He needs a consistent run of games to speed up his development.

Some of the stuff Mowbray comes out with, IMO, can't do the lad's confidence much good and neither can the regular selection of Bennett over him.

With a quality manager and or coach to help him, he could become top class - Kenny and Ray Harford would have made him a real player.

I fear we will lose him and just like Raya, he will excel at his new club. 

Agree with most of that, but his end product is pretty woeful - be it crossing or shooting. What does he have, no goals and a couple of assists in 100 odd appearances? He has every other attribute going though, and agreed under a better set up he’d flourish further.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Agree with all of that, but his end product is pretty woeful - be it crossing or shooting. What does he have, no goals and a couple of assists in 100 odd appearances? He has every other attribute going though, and agreed under a better set up he’d flourish further.

Crossing or shooting can be improved significantly with the appropriate drills in training.  You put the extra hours in and you reap the benefits.

Like a golfer who's weak at chipping around the green, with the right coaching and some hard graft you improve significantly - you may never be the best in the world but progress can be quite remarkable.