BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Goalkeepers

If he got a similar wage budget to last season ( which i cannot forsee ) but we had to sacrifice Downing & Graham for an extra year in order to pay Hart how would people feel about that ?

Good move or not ?

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Some thoroughly entertaining and laughable logic on display here.

The chance of Joe Hart either being willing or affordable enough to come here is remote so its a non starter for me.

It all seems to have come from a rumour from Alan Nixon a year ago, that was predictably totally dismissed by Mowbray, yet for some reason the name has never gone away, possibly because of who he is.

I would be pretty shocked if Hart could find another Premiership club or other top flight club in a significant league that would offer him regular football. His stock has dropped massively in the last few years, whether it's with us or someone else he probably needs to lower his demands considerably if he wants to rebuild his career. 

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If he got a similar wage budget to last season ( which i cannot forsee ) but we had to sacrifice Downing & Graham for an extra year in order to pay Hart how would people feel about that ?

Good move or not ?

I think we have cover for Downing and Graham. We need a first choice keeper, so I would say yes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't want a dingle in the manager chair 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was talking about the manager chair. Dont want an ex dingle in the manager seat 

Why not? That really is a stupid statement. If your hatred of "Dingles" is that bad, perhaps you hated Keith Newton, Kevin Hird and Mark Patterson who left us to play for them. More to the point John Connelly and Adam Blacklaw were "ex-dingles" who played brilliantly for us. I wish we had a keeper as good as Blacklaw was then.

I'll endorse others views. I'd have Dyche ( or Paul Cooke for that matter) in a flash.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, bazza said:

Why not? That really is a stupid statement. If your hatred of "Dingles" is that bad, perhaps you hated Keith Newton, Kevin Hird and Mark Patterson who left us to play for them. More to the point John Connelly and Adam Blacklaw were "ex-dingles" who played brilliantly for us. I wish we had a keeper as good as Blacklaw was then.

I'll endorse others views. I'd have Dyche ( or Paul Cooke for that matter) in a flash.

and don't forget Marshall Burke who was a key part of our success under Howard Kendall which very nearly finished with promotion to Division 1 (now the PL).

Mowbray talks about 'slow build and evolution' - feckin hell, Howard Kendall took us from Div 3 to Div 2 and then missed promotion to Div 1 the following season on goal difference.

In two seasons, Kendall worked miracles with virtually nothing to spend.  What he would have given for the then equivalent of some £20million (fees and wages), IMO, spunked up the wall by Mowbray on Brereton and Gallagher.

Kendall v Mowbray - no comparison - IMO, a master v a third rater.  Kendall had the lot - can do attitude, fitness, organisation, tactics, motivation, player trading management etc.

Edited by Mercer

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

and don't forget Marshall Burke who was a key part of our success under Howard Kendall which very nearly finished with promotion to Division 1 (now the PL).

Mowbray talks about 'slow build and evolution' - feckin hell, Howard Kendall took us from Div 3 to Div 2 and then missed promotion to Div 1 the following season on goal difference.

In two seasons, Kendall worked miracles with virtually nothing to spend.  What he would have given for the then equivalent of some £20million (fees and wages), IMO, spunked up the wall by Mowbray on Brereton and Gallagher.

Kendall v Mowbray - no comparison - IMO, a master v a third rater.  Kendall had the lot - can do attitude, fitness, organisation, tactics, motivation, player trading management etc.

I might even venture that other managers who led teams to be Champions of England, such as Revie, Paisley, Clough, Ferguson and Wenger were also better managers than Mowbray. It’s a scandal!

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It's not long ago he was on about trying to use the promotion bounce.

All this season he's gone on about the transition to a possession team. Now it's a young vibrant exciting team on the front foot.

If there is one thing we've learned about Tony it's he's a nice humble football anorak.  If there's another it's he doesn't know which way the wind is blowing from one day to the next ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, bazza said:

Just to correct you Bazza Mark Patterson didn't play for Burnley. The story is that he was on his way to sign for them when several of his friends contacted him and told him they would disown him if he signed for them. He allegedly phoned Ternant and told him he wasn't signing and went home.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rigger said:

I think we have cover for Downing and Graham. We need a first choice keeper, so I would say yes.

Graham doesn’t deserve another year anyways. We need to let him leave regardless this summer.

Id advocate the same for Downing too. I don’t see what he adds bar his array of passing he constantly slows the team down and he’s dropped off since Xmas. 

id get rid of both

36 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Graham doesn’t deserve another year anyways. We need to let him leave regardless this summer.

Id advocate the same for Downing too. I don’t see what he adds bar his array of passing he constantly slows the team down and he’s dropped off since Xmas. 

id get rid of both

Doesn't deserve is a bit strong but yes his time is up.

I also dont get that an array of passing is not an asset for a team wanting to be a possession based team but I also agree his form has dropped off and 12 months extra maybe a gamble too far

3 hours ago, renrag said:

Think you’re wearing rose tinted glasses re Marshall Burke, he managed less than a season’s worth of games in the two years he was here. It had only taken Leeds about half a season to realise the dingles had sold them a duffer

Think he played many more games than Brereton and Gallagher have manged over a collective 3 seasons!

His goal record wasn't bad for a midfielder either - think he averaged about 1 in 6 - again far better than Brereton and Gallagher!!!

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think he played many more games than Brereton and Gallagher have manged over a collective 3 seasons!

His goal record wasn't bad for a midfielder either - think he averaged about 1 in 6 - again far better than Brereton and Gallagher!!!

39 games Burke for us. 7 goals for us

Gallagher has played 41 games for us this season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

That's a blast from the past.I think it was just the one or maybe two seasons although as you say he could score goals from midfield.

He has gone on to have a successful career in the brewery business.

I thought this thread was about goalkeepers, but hey I voted for Mowbray to stay so what do I know?!

I liked Chaddy's suggestion above Bettinelli, has always seemed a safe pair of hands to me. Or we should go for Marshall at Wigan if they ultimately end up being relegated, but that might not be determined until too late into the window. Darlow is another option, though might be beyond our means.

I imagine, despite the budget mystery, Mowbray has keepers in mind that will be affordable whatever, & hopefully will take whatever lessons need to be learnt from last season to prevent missing out on two like he apparently did.

Please though, not Hart, it's would be a disaster in the making I think. Let someone else take the risk, we can't afford to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

I liked Chaddy's suggestion above Bettinelli, has always seemed a safe pair of hands to me. Darlow is another option, though might be beyond our means.

Bettinelli is a good keeper. 

I don't Darlow leaving Newcastle and according to Waggott in last season fan forum we couldn't afford last summer. So I don't it happening here

2 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Rob Elliott is another option I’d take a punt on easy

Rob Elliott has played a first team league game for 2 and half years at Newcastle. 

2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Please though, not Hart, it's would be a disaster in the making I think. Let someone else take the risk, we can't afford to.

Couldn't agree more.

The fact it would be such a ludicrous move worries me as it is such a bad idea it's probably exactly the sort of thing that would appeal to Tone.

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bettinelli is a good keeper. 

I don't Darlow leaving Newcastle and according to Waggott in last season fan forum we couldn't afford last summer. So I don't it happening here

Rob Elliott has played a first team league game for 2 and half years at Newcastle. 

Funny has Karl Darlow who you mentioned played more than five games in two years? Only I think Dabruvka is first choice no? That said Walton hadn’t played competitively first team had he for Brighton? 

And Bettelini has around 100 games at 29 to elliots 200 games (34)at first team level with around 50 of elliots in the PL/FAC And 4 international caps as well as Newcastle player of the year 2016. 

Care to reconsider King Chadwick?

Edited by Scotland1

2 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Funny has Karl Darlow who you mentioned played in two years? Only I think Dabruvka is first choice no? That said Walton hadn’t played first team had he for Brighton? 

And Bettelini has around 100 games at 29 to elliots 200 games (34)at first team level with around 50 of elliots in the PL And 4 international caps as well as Newcastle player of the year 2016. 

Care to reconsider King Chadwick?

no. 

Darlow has played 6 times this season. Much better than Elliott who has played a first team game for 2 and half years

Bettelini has played just short 200 games actually. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marcus-bettinelli/leistungsdaten/spieler/116648/plus/0?saison=ges

I haven't said we should signing Darlow this summer. Mention him last summer. 

Care to reconsider?

Edited by chaddyrovers

• Backroom
On 20/07/2020 at 15:35, S8 & Blue said:

I’d have Hart. Big presence, winning personality, can vocally organise. Good basics.

Just can’t save anything to his left. Be reyt.

Easy solution 

Get Zoolander in to replace Benny Ben Bennington and reach him to do a full pivot to the right, surprised nobody thought of it sooner 

• Like 3

On 20/07/2020 at 18:32, RoverCanada said:

I was randomly reading an article today about Dean Henderson and whether he can replace De Gea (paywalled: https://theathletic.com/1934279/2020/07/20/dean-henderson-sheffield-united-manchester-united/). Oddly enough, a lot of the article is centred around an interview with Ben Benson, as he coached Henderson when he was in Carlisle's academy and he apparently has remained a 'close confidante' of Henderson's ever since.

Not to suggest being Henderson's goalie coach at 14 makes him a good coach, but that's a respectable endorsement of sorts...

Carlisle have produced or developed on loan a few handy young keepers. Westwood, Gillespie and Krul (I think) were all there early on in their career. All 3 imo looked very talented/promising although unsure how they have developed since. 

Not too sure really how much our keeper coach was involved in that, more a comment on the club doing well there for a period. 

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

no. 

Darlow has played 6 times this season. Much better than Elliott who has played a first team game for 2 and half years

Bettelini has played just short 200 games actually. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marcus-bettinelli/leistungsdaten/spieler/116648/plus/0?saison=ges

I haven't said we should signing Darlow this summer. Mention him last summer. 

Care to reconsider?

I’d care for you to be correct chaddy.

Darlows stats as I indicated with Dabruvka ever present show he’s not played since the 4th Feb 18 against Crystal Palace, Elliott was 27th Dec in the PL which at the time shows Darlow deputised in place due to a back injury to RE, the 6 games you allude to are actually EFl cup games and early round fa cup games. See attached, you mentioned him last summer ??‍♂️ Besides a fee his wages would probably be too much anyways for someone who’s battled for the second jersey of Newcastle.

Bettellini has played 120 games for Fulham since 2013 at first team level. See attached, the 200 figure you allude to are national league appearances as a youngster and reserve games.

I see you didn’t pick up on Walton again, he hadn’t made a first team competitive start for Brighton with his experience largely being loans spells in L1 and L2 prior to 38 games at Wigan last year in the championship.

F8A46A27-7E64-4A25-AF91-2CB8F04DFB8D.jpeg

95DD9C7F-A40F-4F3A-A7AE-08FEE4711D81.png

Edited by Scotland1