BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship Season 2020 - 2021

One of the strangest deals of the transfer window.

Derby are an interesting one. They have a clutch of really talented youngsters and have made a couple of shrewd defensive additions in Marshall in net and also Clarke on loan. But they have absolutely no substance in attack and seem directionless under Cocu. Rooney has undoubted class but just seems incapable physically despite occasional brilliance. (v us, he was run ragged but set up their main chance for Jozwiak with a brilliant flick no one else on the pitch would have done, and obviously the free kick at Norwich.

Screenshot_20201015-132234_Twitter.jpg

Just now, roversfan99 said:

One of the strangest deals of the transfer window.

Derby are an interesting one. They have a clutch of really talented youngsters and have made a couple of shrewd defensive additions in Marshall in net and also Clarke on loan. But they have absolutely no substance in attack and seem directionless under Cocu. Rooney has undoubted class but just seems incapable physically despite occasional brilliance. (v us, he was run ragged but set up their main chance for Jozwiak with a brilliant flick no one else on the pitch would have done, and obviously the free kick at Norwich.

Screenshot_20201015-132234_Twitter.jpg

The sun where running with a story today that Cocu on the brink of getting sacked with Rooney lined up to take over alongside a more senior figure, they mentioned John Gregory

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The sun where running with a story today that Cocu on the brink of getting sacked with Rooney lined up to take over alongside a more senior figure, they mentioned John Gregory

I am not convinced by Cocu and Rooney as next manager just seems inevitable if perhaps ill advised. Gregory managed them in the early 2000s but that would again be very random, also not sure on what terms he left.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not convinced by Cocu and Rooney as next manager just seems inevitable if perhaps ill advised. Gregory managed them in the early 2000s but that would again be very random, also not sure on what terms he left.

He left on bad terms so the link with him  probably a load of nonsense .

I just don't see Rooney being a good manager.

• Like 2

Just now, JacknOry said:

CKR, will have played for 18 different clubs should that go through. That's more clubs than years professional.

Plus only for one has he gone past 10 goals. 

He was indicative of the team around him here. Saying that, he looked like a breath of fresh air at first, I remember going down to Ipswich on the first day and he was really good, he was big strong and powerful, and then in the first home game afterwards he scored to make it 2 in 2. Aside from obviously a scuffed winner at the Emirates, he was dismal for the rest of the season. Not too dissimilar to Leon Best.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Plus only for one has he gone past 10 goals. 

He was indicative of the team around him here. Saying that, he looked like a breath of fresh air at first, I remember going down to Ipswich on the first day and he was really good, he was big strong and powerful, and then in the first home game afterwards he scored to make it 2 in 2. Aside from obviously a scuffed winner at the Emirates, he was dismal for the rest of the season. Not too dissimilar to Leon Best.

He's one of those players over the last 10 years that I have no real recollection of. I remember him being here but he was just a nothing player.

If you asked me who scored that winner at the Emirates I could have told you it was Olsson whose run set it up but probably wouldn't have recalled who scored it - which considering that on paper it is one of out best results over the last 10 years is a bit alarming. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

Just now, Hasta said:

He's one of those players over the last 10 years that I have no real recollection of. I remember him being here but he was just a nothing player. 

If you asked me who scored that winner at the Emirates I could have told you it was Olsson whose run set it up but probably wouldn't have recalled who scored it - which considering that on paper it is one of out best results over the last 10 years is a bit alarming. 

A freak result amidst a dismal season very much a perfect indication of our horrendous owners. I think it was Millwall in the next round, that replay at Ewood was everything about us in one. Barely anyone attending a quarter final of the FA Cup, a depressing and fairly inevitable exit to a limited and one dimensional Millwall side that we couldnt figure out how to break down, with a trip to Wembley at stake.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A freak result amidst a dismal season very much a perfect indication of our horrendous owners. I think it was Millwall in the next round, that replay at Ewood was everything about us in one. Barely anyone attending a quarter final of the FA Cup, a depressing and fairly inevitable exit to a limited and one dimensional Millwall side that we couldnt figure out how to break down, with a trip to Wembley at stake.

That was the best chance we had and possibly will have for a generation to reach an FA Cup Wembley Semi Final.

It was a complete freak smash and grab job over Arsenal - I think the first time Wenger had exited the Cup to a lower division side in 17 years at Arsenal.

Dark days only made worse by it being Wigan in the semis who went on to win it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

That was the best chance we had and possibly will have for a generation to reach an FA Cup Wembley Semi Final.

It was a complete freak smash and grab job over Arsenal - I think the first time Wenger had exited the Cup to a lower division side in 17 years at Arsenal.

Dark days only made worse by it being Wigan in the semis who went on to win it.

And it was a Millwall side that finished even lower than us, had a totally immobile Danny Shittu in defence, veteran lump Rob Hulse and talentless Chris Taylor as their spine, and in the Semi Final their fans fought amongst themselves.

2 minutes ago, frosty said:

I still can't believe we haven't played at the new Wembley yet. Think there are only a handful of teams in the whole Football League that still haven't played there. 

Yes. Think us, Forest and Newcastle are the 3 most prominent clubs not to have played there. Stanley are another.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

I just don't see Rooney being a good manager.

Me either. I think it has been on the cards since he arrived at Derby though. He was a wonderful player but doesn't strike me as the manager type. I think it would be really hard for someone with his talent and natural footballing ability to be able to transfer that knowledge and expertise to others.

Years ago I was on a coaching course. One of the instructors told a story that trying to explain a concept to Rooney was pointless. He couldn't figure it out. However, if you drew it for him he'd light up and get it straight away.

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yes. Think us, Forest and Newcastle are the 3 most prominent clubs not to have played there. Stanley are another.

Newcastle would have played there against Spurs wouldn't they? I am actually glad that our first match there wasn't against Spurs. At least when we do eventually play there it'll be a bigger occasion such as a cup final, FA Cup semi or a play-off final.

48 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Me either. I think it has been on the cards since he arrived at Derby though. He was a wonderful player but doesn't strike me as the manager type. I think it would be really hard for someone with his talent and natural footballing ability to be able to transfer that knowledge and expertise to others.

Years ago I was on a coaching course. One of the instructors told a story that trying to explain a concept to Rooney was pointless. He couldn't figure it out. However, if you drew it for him he'd light up and get it straight away.

Funnily enough a few people said similar things about Dalglish when he was originally appointed player/manager at Liverpool. Even some Liverpool fans were horrified that the 'Boot Room' dynasty was being overlooked (despite KMD being a fabulous player for them).

Is that coach's quote as a direct result of his actual dealings with Rooney or was he just voicing an opinion based on his perception? Because I've heard that Rooney is actually quite good at explaining things in straightforward terms. 

7 hours ago, islander200 said:

Derby owner Mel Morris has dismissed this suggestion Cocu going. 

32 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Derby owner Mel Morris has dismissed this suggestion Cocu going. 

Big, wet, sloppy, kiss of death if I ever saw one.

6 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

One of the instructors told a story that trying to explain a concept to Rooney was pointless. He couldn't figure it out. However, if you drew it for him he'd light up and get it straight away.

That mental image is hilarious ?

9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Funnily enough a few people said similar things about Dalglish when he was originally appointed player/manager at Liverpool. Even some Liverpool fans were horrified that the 'Boot Room' dynasty was being overlooked (despite KMD being a fabulous player for them).

Is that coach's quote as a direct result of his actual dealings with Rooney or was he just voicing an opinion based on his perception? Because I've heard that Rooney is actually quite good at explaining things in straightforward terms. 

Dalglish's strength was his aura. Harford did the leg work at Rovers, Evans and Moore at Liverpool.

The coach was an FA staff coach who had direct dealings with Rooney whilst he was on England duty, but this was when he was first coming through. 

Zidane and Roy Keane are two others who had immense talent as players. They have had wildly different managerial careers. Rightly or wrongly I'm putting Rooney in the Keane camp.

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If I was a Derby fan, with their current manager and a total lack of goal threat up front I would be a little fearful. The signings of Ibe and Kazim Richards seem quite desperate.

Kazim is another one of those players , like stokes, best etc. Definitely has the talent but once the ink dries he’s not interested 

23 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It must have been like one of those videos where someone shows an ape a magic trick.

• Like 1