BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship Season 2020 - 2021

I would like us to beat a top 6 team at least once this season before i can even start to think we could get into the playoffs,atm i cant see us beating any of Swansea,Brentford,Watford.in a 2 legged semi final.Get to a final and anything can happen in a 1 off game but getting to that situation is a long way off atm.

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Norwich, Brentford and Swansea will all be top 6. Reading at the start of the season I thought would fade away but every time I have seen them they look a very good side. They played Bournemouth of the park on Friday, yes Bournemouth are struggling but they are still a decent side and not many side will beat them as comfortably as Reading did.

The two in the current top 6 that I think would fall out if any do are Watford and Bournemouth. Watford are a funny club and you never know what you are going to get from them. In a way they remind me of us on the pitch in that I don't think as a team they are very impressive but they have individuals that have the quality to win them games they don't deserve to win and I'd expect that they have enough individual quality to keep themselves in the top 6.

Bournemouth are certainly the ones stuttering the most at the moment and I think the longer they stick with Tindall the more at risk they are of falling out of it. I wouldn't be at all surprised that now he has had a few months break if Eddie Howe is back there before the end of the season.

I didn't see the Reading Bournemouth game so can you say what was so impressive about them please? 

I think Ben Pearson will improve that Bournemouth side and give them a leader in centre midfield they lack. Still feel they are a striker short. 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I didn't see the Reading Bournemouth game so can you say what was so impressive about them please? 

I think Ben Pearson will improve that Bournemouth side and give them a leader in centre midfield they lack. Still feel they are a striker short. 

Strong and powerful all over the pitch. They completely bullied Bournemouth in the first half through a combination of power and fast attacking football then in the 2nd half they saw the game out comfortably. They have also improved defensively from what I saw of them earlier in the season. Also I don't think at the moment there is a better all round striker in the Championship than Lucas Joao. He's playing like a Championship Drogba this season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

I would like us to beat a top 6 team at least once this season before i can even start to think we could get into the playoffs,atm i cant see us beating any of Swansea,Brentford,Watford.in a 2 legged semi final.Get to a final and anything can happen in a 1 off game but getting to that situation is a long way off atm.

I am not bigging up Mowbray here ...

But I would like to know where Howard Kendalls' team and Soueys team were on Feb 1st in their respective promotion seasons..

They certainly weren't front runners...

58 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Strong and powerful all over the pitch. They completely bullied Bournemouth in the first half through a combination of power and fast attacking football then in the 2nd half they saw the game out comfortably. They have also improved defensively from what I saw of them earlier in the season. Also I don't think at the moment there is a better all round striker in the Championship than Lucas Joao. He's playing like a Championship Drogba this season.

I didn't see all the game but I heard Andy Hinchcliffe praising Readings fitness levels. In fact he said they were the fittest team he has seen this season and were able to keep up a high intensity game for its duration. Sometimes fitness and its importance can be really understated.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I didn't see all the game but I heard Andy Hinchcliffe praising Readings fitness levels. In fact he said they were the fittest team he has seen this season and were able to keep up a high intensity game for its duration. Sometimes fitness and its importance can be really understated.

Physical fitness, or more to the point, the lack of it, impinges on your mental fitness as well. A relatively fresh Holtby was mentally fitter than the Luton defence yesterday and his quicker reactions led to our goal.

Would he have been that sharp if he'd have played 85 minutes ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Watford are a strange one, they look rather impotent going forward with Deeney and Gray I think getting one goal between them from open play this season. This is the thing that people never consider in their desperation to make us seem like we are peasants compared to all of the rich giants in our league is that a large chunk of those resources are tied up in players that end up proving to be liabilities rather than assets.

They have some real quality through the team, Sarr is one of the best players in the division, and players like Hughes, Cleverley, Chalobah, Foster (when fit), Kabasele, Femenia, Wilmot etc. But they are not untouchable.

One thing we have to lose is the inferiority complex. We need to genuinely believe that we are equal to Watford, Bournemouth, Brentford etc. I remember when we lost a 2 goal lead against Brentford when we was x points from the play offs last season, and people were buzzing with a point! Earlier this season, we lost to Bournemouth and we was made out to be plucky underdogs as if it was a cup game, Prem v League 2. And then we played Watford and lost 3-1 yet it even convinced one member on this form that we were going up! That has to go, these teams are not on a different planet to us, Watford dont have our goal threat, Bournemouth are managed by a rookie, Reading have come from nowhere to leap frog us this season, Swansea and Brentford have both sold key players, when we play these teams, we have ground to make up, we need to target wins.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 4

The thing is with some of the teams recently relegated from the Premier League is that some of their players think they are far too good for the Championship.

This was apparent when watching Reading v Bournemouth on Friday night. As has been stated Reading were up for it from the off. Players like King, Brooks, Lerma, Solanke etc were just going through the motions thinking to themselves- I’m much too good to be playing at this level.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

The thing is with some of the teams recently relegated from the Premier League is that some of their players think they are far too good for the Championship.

This was apparent when watching Reading v Bournemouth on Friday night. As has been stated Reading were up for it from the off. Players like King, Brooks, Lerma, Solanke etc were just going through the motions thinking to themselves- I’m much too good to be playing at this level.

That is the problem - their ego's get in the way. They'll be thinking " we can easily out football this lot " but you need to work to get the right to play your football first.

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Which is why it is always too simplistic to merely play budget top trumps and lament how we can’t possibly compete with parachute clubs.

There’s a reason why so few bounce straight back automatically.

And this is during a season where all three relegated clubs are doing relatively well, by historical standards. Very rare for all three to be in the top six at this point, it's usually a safe bet that one will drop like a stone (rather like we did!).

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Glenn Murray - a proper centre forward. He'd score a hatful for us even at his age

I was thinking along those lines Jim but he's 37. I think it might be a Danny Graham to Sunderland move. IE A season too far. The Glenn Murray of a couple of years back would have done me. We'll soon see.

Where's the new Marcus Bent ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

29 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Where's the new Marcus Bent ?

There is few strikers in league 1 and 2 who could make the step up to the championship over the next 18 months. 

The Crawley striker Max Walters joined Cardiff two days before Harris was sacked. Hopefully he gets his chance there. Believe Cardiff want Rhodes today. Walters had scored 13 goals in 15 games this season and supposedly Rovers were looking at him. 

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

There is few strikers in league 1 and 2 who could make the step up to the championship over the next 18 months. 

The Crawley striker Max Walters joined Cardiff two days before Harris was sacked. Hopefully he gets his chance there. Believe Cardiff want Rhodes today. Walters had scored 13 goals in 15 games this season and supposedly Rovers were looking at him. 

There's a lad at Rochdale called Humphries who I think would do ok at an higher level maybe next season. Too soon at the   moment though. The prodigy they have called Baah looks to be going to City, he's very raw but he could be a real player in the future. 

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's a lad at Rochdale called Humphries who I think would do ok at an higher level maybe next season. Too soon at the   moment though. The prodigy they have called Baah looks to be going to City, he's very raw but he could be a real player in the future. 

Plymouth Striker Luke Jephcott is highly rated from reports Ive seen

How unpredictable is this league?

Watford were 1-0 up at home against QPR, having won 10 of 13 at home, and contrived to lost 2-1 in the last 15 mins.

Whisper it quietly, though we felt the same way at the end of the last window and no doubt this is where our nosebleed occurs, but surely we're not going to get a better opportunity to make the top 6.