BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Joe Rothwell - A myth or a prospect?

I don't get how it's taken this long for the manager to work out that CM is his best position. He played him there against Brentford when we first signed him and he was MOTM. His enthusiasm to want the ball, the quickness in his play really livens us up and makes us quicker in the transitions from defence to attack, which suits the like of Dolan and Armstrong. I think he links us together really well now. Far too long have I seen Rovers teams far to slow on the counter, like running through treacle. Smallwood and Downing playing painful sideways passes and nothing possession football, now all of a sudden we have someone who wants to play in tight areas and attack space. It breeds confidence and a way of thinking suited to our players. 

I understand people's frustration with him but the manager has to take some responsibility in wasting a year of his development whilst playing Smallwood and Bennett ahead of him. His end product is questionable but in centre mid, he's finally found his place, I just hope the manager doesnt hang him out to to dry after one bad game. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Neal said:

I don't get how it's taken this long for the manager to work out that CM is his best position. He played him there against Brentford when we first signed him and he was MOTM. His enthusiasm to want the ball, the quickness in his play really livens us up and makes us quicker in the transitions from defence to attack, which suits the like of Dolan and Armstrong. I think he links us together really well now. Far too long have I seen Rovers teams far to slow on the counter, like running through treacle. Smallwood and Downing playing painful sideways passes and nothing possession football, now all of a sudden we have someone who wants to play in tight areas and attack space. It breeds confidence and a way of thinking suited to our players. 

I understand people's frustration with him but the manager has to take some responsibility in wasting a year of his development whilst playing Smallwood and Bennett ahead of him. His end product is questionable but in centre mid, he's finally found his place, I just hope the manager doesnt hang him out to to dry after one bad game. 

Yes, Rothwell excelled with too more holding players beside him. ?

4 minutes ago, Neal said:

A midfield 3 of Rothwell, Holtby and Travis is promotion worthy. I was wrong about Holtby (but then he was a terrible #10) but the other two I've said are great Championship CMs for a while. 

You just have to hear the fear in iFollow commentator's voices when Rothwell gets the ball and carries it through the centre of the park - and the relief / disbelief in their voices when he's taken off after 60 minutes. Often accompanied with "I thought he was one of their better players". 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

A midfield 3 of Rothwell, Holtby and Travis is promotion worthy. I was wrong about Holtby (but then he was a terrible #10) but the other two I've said are great Championship CMs for a while. 

You just have to hear the fear in iFollow commentator's voices when Rothwell gets the ball and carries it through the centre of the park - and the relief / disbelief in their voices when he's taken off after 60 minutes. Often accompanied with "I thought he was one of their better players". 

While I agree all 3 are great midfielders, especially in this pressing football we are playing. Who offers that Johnson role that worked so well in the early weeks of the season. Travis maybe but I'd actually on current form and tactics go Johnson and 2 of the 3 listed. 

P.S. Actually bring back Dack and it's 2 from 4. If we are going to bring in another midfielder this window we need to bring in a Johnson like DMC. I'd prioritise a LB and additional cover for Armstrong before hand however.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ElTwis said:

This might have been picked up on elsewhere but is anyone getting the feel TM is having a dig at Rothwell with his "10 days sat on the sofa" comments? 

No he was digging but telling the situation as it was. With him and his family self isolating for 10 days they wasn't much else for him to do. 

He was training just before the Reading game and he was starting again

• 1 month later...

I'll be honest I had him down as a myth. Looking a good now though but I suppose it helps being used in a formation that suits.

Thats been a long time coming with a lot of players here though. Be nice if it all comes together this season.

• 1 year later...

Absolutely ridiculous that we haven't pushed the boat out signed him up...when Rothwell's on song, we're on song. We're going places at the moment, time for Rovers to try and get Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell to sign new contracts. Does anyone know if we have a one-year option on Kaminski?

It'll cost us a heck of a lot more to replace them if they leave for nowt!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Absolutely ridiculous that we haven't pushed the boat out signed him up...when Rothwell's on song, we're on song. We're going places at the moment, time for Rovers to try and get Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell to sign new contracts. Does anyone know if we have a one-year option on Kaminski?

It'll cost us a heck of a lot more to replace them if they leave for nowt!!!

You won't get another Rothwell in this division. People complained about his end product - he is now in top 5 assisters in the league. I don't really look at numbers with him anyway, its how he takes it through midfield - no other CM in this league does it to his quality.

• Like 4

The way he changes defence into attack in a matter of seconds through his burst of speed is something no other player offers, other than maybe Khedra but he's not even our player.

If the contract offer is to take him in line with our highest-paid players, then fair enough. If not, it's a daft move on the part of the club as we'll lose him for nothing. 

• Like 2

I think back to his last season at Oxford, didn’t pull any trees up and had some real issues settling in at Ewood with inconsistent displays.

People suggest no other players are capable of it, well looking around Div 1 there are a few players who given a chance might just sparkle.