BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

45 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Give me a lager over a vaping product any day of the week.

I don't want to offend any vapers about but quite frankly that practice attracts a rather weird bunch. Full of stretched out ears and old festival bands. In any case, "Totally Wicked" is a minging company name.

I know a few people who "vape" or did previously , all smokers in their 40's, 50's and one in their 60's and used that method to stop smoking cigarettes. Those who still vape only a couple use nicotine juices the others 0% nicotine juices.  Small sample group of around a dozen but no stretchy ears among them, unless you count the bloke in his 60's but think that is because his head is shrinking :) and a rather eclectic mix of musical tastes

• Like 1

What Frazer Cropper has achieved in only 8 years with TW has been great for Blackburn, and the Griffin Park area. As a mad keen Rugby Union fan (Exeter Chiefs box holder) , he might be less inclined to tarnish his company's brand by association with the chicken chokers, than keen to shore up our own dwindling reputation. Might be worth an approach to the new CEO Marcus Saxton, but I guess our forward thinking and dynamic commercial sept may have already made contact.... tumbleweed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I don't want to offend any vapers about but quite frankly that practice attracts a rather weird bunch. Full of stretched out ears and old festival bands. 

This country is full of virtue signalling nonsense.

I don't drink heavily, nor vape. But this faux "vaping isn't a good club partner" outrage from some online is embarrassing. Vaping isn't worse than drinking, or gambling. We've had 24Bet, 10Bet and Dafabet sponsor the club, Marathon bet sponsor inside the stadium too. We've had beer companies on the front of the shirt and advertised around the stadium

People getting upset over Totally Wicked are being extremely odd because nobody seems to get upset about other questionable club partners, just this...

a) I agree, virtue signalling nonsense is pathetic, and people getting uppity about a vaping company is purely a furthering of this issue
b) It's clear from your first line here that your, and most people, issue with totally wicked is that you don't personally like the product, or the people who do like the product. That's very self-involved in my opinion.
c) Nobody complains about other questionable club sponsors, just this one.

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Give me a lager over a vaping product any day of the week.

I don't want to offend any vapers about but quite frankly that practice attracts a rather weird bunch. Full of stretched out ears and old festival bands. In any case, "Totally Wicked" is a minging company name.

I'd take a lager or brewery company. I thought that when they have been on shirts sponsors they've usually looked ok. Copenhagen were sponsored by Carlsberg - you don't see Danish people blaming that for binge drinking or alcoholism. This country is full of virtue signalling nonsense, and the banning of advertising gambling / alcohol companies is one of them. All it does is let the people who should be solving them problems have an easy argument to have, and an easy win under their belt when it does get banned.

May even get some decent beer on sale at Ewood if we could be sponsored by one too. Doubt it.

You literally do see Danish people blaming the proliferation of alcohol advertising for issues linked to alcoholism.  That's why Carlsberg alternate their sponsorship of FC Copenhagen between their lager brand and their energy drink 'Carlsberg Sport'.

I'm personally pretty ambivalent about alcohol sponsorship.  It's not a great look given football's influence on kids, but it could be something worse I suppose. It's far less insidious than gambling logos on football jerseys, which is an pox on the game.

FCCopenhagenHomeHeader-fill-370x370.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I don't drink heavily, nor vape. But this faux "vaping isn't a good club partner" outrage from some online is embarrassing. Vaping isn't worse than drinking, or gambling. We've had 24Bet, 10Bet and Dafabet sponsor the club, Marathon bet sponsor inside the stadium too. We've had beer companies on the front of the shirt and advertised around the stadium

People getting upset over Totally Wicked are being extremely odd because nobody seems to get upset about other questionable club partners, just this...

a) I agree, virtue signalling nonsense is pathetic, and people getting uppity about a vaping company is purely a furthering of this issue
b) It's clear from your first line here that your, and most people, issue with totally wicked is that you don't personally like the product, or the people who do like the product. That's very self-involved in my opinion.

Whether you think a vape product, for which we haven’t yet seen the long term health effects (although some early research suggests it isn’t good to breathe in certain chemicals used in their manufacture*) is an good club partner, is subjective at the moment. 

Personally I think it is as bad as having tobacco products (currently banned) and I agree betting isn’t right either - the idea that kids won’t be indoctrinated into gambling because the junior shirts don’t have the logo is absurd. Anything endorsed by childhood heroes will sell to kids.

Other than that this particular sponsor has been a source of embarrassment since the tacky ads went up at Ewood. “What the fucking hell is that” was the preferred chant of the away fans who spotted it early on.

It’s not even as though the money they put in makes a huge difference (see our debt and current struggles) so as to ignore any moral arguments. However, I don’t expect there is a queue of alternatives though so we are being paid by the piper!

* I’m sure you already know but some vape products contain Diacetyl, a chemical that researchers have linked to popcorn lung. You know it’s serious when disclaimers are given in the form of advice so that ‘you know the risks’. Don’t take my word for it though, make your mind up:

https://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/vaped/is-diacetyl-in-eliquid/

20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

My beef with Totally Wicked is not the product it sells but more the name just sounds horrible. The logo is shite too. It would be embarrassing to have an Ali G like saying emblazoned across our chest. Totally wiked, init.

Self involved or not they are asking me to buy the shirt and I won't buy it if it has "Totally Wicked" plastered across it, regardless of the quality of the product it sells.

Vaping is just shit. Just like smoking. My comments are tongue in cheek around it all, so don't get too uppity, but I'd much prefer a lager or brewery to a weird shitty vape company with a crap brand.

Gambling, drinking & smoking I don't particularly care. Your life, your choice. I don't particularly care if a well branded vape product sponsors us either. It's the tacky, cheap brand that is Totally Wicked that I don't like.

In truth I don't think there will be a well branded vape company because it is centred around a tacky environment to begin with. It's all a bit too Monster for me.

• Like 1

We are owned by an international conglomerate with interests in food production, pharmaceuticals, health products and numerous other areas.

Is it really impossible for them to use their international contacts to find a respectable sponsor for our famous shirts rather than an unheard of gambling company or local vaping firm?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Whether you think a vape product, for which we haven’t yet seen the long term health effects (although some early research suggests it isn’t good to breathe in certain chemicals used in their manufacture*) is an good club partner, is subjective at the moment. 

Personally I think it is as bad as having tobacco products (currently banned) and I agree betting isn’t right either - the idea that kids won’t be indoctrinated into gambling because the junior shirts don’t have the logo is absurd. Anything endorsed by childhood heroes will sell to kids.

Other than that this particular sponsor has been a source of embarrassment since the tacky ads went up at Ewood. “What the fucking hell is that” was the preferred chant of the away fans who spotted it early on.

It’s not even as though the money they put in makes a huge difference (see our debt and current struggles) so as to ignore any moral arguments. However, I don’t expect there is a queue of alternatives though so we are being paid by the piper!

* I’m sure you already know but some vape products contain Diacetyl, a chemical that researchers have linked to popcorn lung. You know it’s serious when disclaimers are given in the form of advice so that ‘you know the risks’. Don’t take my word for it though, make your mind up:

https://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/vaped/is-diacetyl-in-eliquid/

If you read that article it illustrates how Totally Wicked are one of the best/safest/most responsible companies in the country.

Vaping is about harm reduction and is incredibly effective in smoking cessation. The products are highly regulated and recommended by PHE.

I have to agree on the logo and name though ? - very much a product of it's era from when they first started.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

If you read that article it illustrates how Totally Wicked are one of the best/safest/most responsible companies in the country.

Vaping is about harm reduction and is incredibly effective in smoking cessation. The products are highly regulated and recommended by PHE.

I have to agree on the logo and name though ? - very much a product of it's era from when they first started.

“If you read the article”... bud, I literally posted the thing. Did you even read my post? When a manufacturer or distributor feels they need to acknowledge the issue in that way then it has to be a cause for concern. Even if they are the best/safest. All this does is prevent legal action being taken in future. You knew the risks and used the product anyway.

If vaping was a means to quit smoking I’d agree that it would be a service but it isn’t, that’s just one of the markets. There certainly doesn’t need to be the range of flavours offered, particularly sweet shop type ones, and they DEFINITELY shouldn’t be advertising these at cinemas before films aimed at children. There are kids who have never smoked tobacco in their lives who are vaping.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

“If you read the article”... bud, I literally posted the thing. Did you even read my post? When a manufacturer or distributor feels they need to acknowledge the issue in that way then it has to be a cause for concern. Even if they are the best/safest. All this does is prevent legal action being taken in future. You knew the risks and used the product anyway.

If vaping was a means to quit smoking I’d agree that it would be a service but it isn’t, that’s just one of the markets. There certainly doesn’t need to be the range of flavours offered, particularly sweet shop type ones, and they DEFINITELY shouldn’t be advertising these at cinemas before films aimed at children. There are kids who have never smoked tobacco in their lives who are vaping.

But the thing is TW products are tested within an inch of their lives, down to the parts per million. Toxicology analysis gives us a trusted way of knowing how these constituent chemicals  interact with human cells.

If every kid or every smoker picked up a vape instead of cigarettes then we would save many hundreds of thousands of lives.

The product should be promoted.

41 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

But the thing is TW products are tested within an inch of their lives, down to the parts per million. Toxicology analysis gives us a trusted way of knowing how these constituent chemicals  interact with human cells.

If every kid or every smoker picked up a vape instead of cigarettes then we would save many hundreds of thousands of lives.

The product should be promoted.

I’d argue we don’t know enough about it yet. It could be 20-30 years before the effects are known.

Nice sidestep on the market point though. ;) 

Just now, Stuart said:

I’d argue we don’t know enough about it yet. It could be 20-30 years before the effects are known.

Nice sidestep on the market point though. ;) 

I think there is a difference between "you don't know" and "we don't know" tbh.

It's basic toxicology.

Anyway I'll leave it ?

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

For what it’s worth Joe, I am steadfastly anti alcohol, gambling & vaping sponsors for sports clubs.
Don’t expect everyone to agree or for that matter anyone to change their mind as a result of reading my opinion.

Just now, Herbie6590 said:

For what it’s worth Joe, I am steadfastly anti alcohol, gambling & vaping sponsors for sports clubs.
Don’t expect everyone to agree or for that matter anyone to change their mind as a result of reading my opinion.

You're gonna hate next years Sheffield FC shirt Ian ?

Maybe I'll send you a freebie ?

9 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I think there is a difference between "you don't know" and "we don't know" tbh.

It's basic toxicology.

Anyway I'll leave it ?

“We” as in “the world”.

The long term effects won’t be known, by definition.

Lest we forget...

089A8D64-F1E3-439E-B664-4DCB12F0EEDD.jpeg.c2d7812eec72d2c39889793e1d64165f.jpeg

2C61C555-8047-4D26-BD6A-B03C25FFB273.jpeg.15fc7fda27efe19831878968cfcbd1b4.jpeg

93B0A5C7-BD27-4616-9480-C82D0C5B4D61.jpeg.9a4b603b91a237f9aa113d419f585ea7.jpeg

7D39FCB5-69D6-49AB-9968-FF6F8189EC12.jpeg

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

You’d be surprised at how science and the regulation around marketing has changed since then, it would seem.

Anyway, I think it’s obvious I have an interest in this sector so take what I say with a pinch of salt. But I can assure you that I probably know a little more about the science of the product, and who is doing it right.

TW is a good company.

The product provides a net good.

Really don’t want that logo on our shirts though ?

The vaping culture is an odd one for those that do it just to blow smoke rings and the like.

But, for me personally, vaping was the only method that allowed me to successfully quit smoking. I now do neither. Yes, it took about a year for me to completely kick the nicotine addiction but having tried to stop smoking countless times in the past, vaping was the only thing to allow me to kick it permanently (thus far),. I started on a high nicotine strength vape juice which provided me with just enough to not need cigarettes. Then over time I would lessen the strength of the vape juice when buying it. Eventually I got down to 0% nicotine but continued the vaping for about a month later. This was just to help get myself out of all the other habits that smoking brings - hand to mouth, the habit of smoking after eating etc etc.

I was then able to put the vape down for good and it now collects dust somewhere around the house. 

Still, i am against this sponsorship simply because vaping can also lead to smoking. Young kids can get hooked on these juices that have nicotine and that can obviously lead to them taking up regular smoking at some point. All because it looks cool to blow out some smoke rings.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

The vaping culture is an odd one for those that do it just to blow smoke rings and the like.

But, for me personally, vaping was the only method that allowed me to successfully quit smoking. I now do neither. Yes, it took about a year for me to completely kick the nicotine addiction but having tried to stop smoking countless times in the past, vaping was the only thing to allow me to kick it permanently (thus far),. I started on a high nicotine strength vape juice which provided me with just enough to not need cigarettes. Then over time I would lessen the strength of the vape juice when buying it. Eventually I got down to 0% nicotine but continued the vaping for about a month later. This was just to help get myself out of all the other habits that smoking brings - hand to mouth, the habit of smoking after eating etc etc.

I was then able to put the vape down for good and it now collects dust somewhere around the house. 

Still, i am against this sponsorship simply because vaping can also lead to smoking. Young kids can get hooked on these juices that have nicotine and that can obviously lead to them taking up regular smoking at some point. All because it looks cool to blow out some smoke rings.

Glad to hear they helped you, that's exactly what they are intended for.

Some interesting latest studies on the second point described here - https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/04/health/vaping-smoking-gateway-study/index.html

Anyway - I'll leave it now, I swear!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Good on you mate.

• Like 2