BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Leicester away

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Maglorie needs to go out on loan for a year to refine his game - he has all the physical attributes you look for, but he made three or four crucial errors that could have resulted in goals.

He's not ready for the first team yet. 

Totally agree. A lot of his game I was actually quite impressed by, but equally their chances came exclusively from loose defending from Fish, him, and at times Williams too (although I thought Williams was quite good).

12 months in league 1 and he could be a useful player

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think people quite understandably are getting a little carried away at a very decent performance in a friendly v a Leicester side full of kids.

Magloire for example, he looked well out of his depth playing against a very limited player like Nuhiu, and struggled at Rochdale I believe. Also had a couple of wobbly moments today. He could do with another loan, we need experience at the back and I dont want Mowbray to fall into the trap of thinking that the likes of Magloire and Carter who have struggled when dipped into the first team before are ready to play now.

i feel like we have quite a few quick and energetic players to play that front 3 but still remain totally unconvinced that there is much substance there at this moment. Armstrong, we know his quality, even if he did nothing today. Brereton was his usual dithering self, for all of this talk about him bulking up, new man post lockdown, we dont have any evidence that he is up to it yet. Starts next weekend though, also his defensive "contribution" belies why Chapman doesnt start if that is the reason! Rankin Costello, that run was superb, also had a decent but comfortable shot at the keeper, id start him next week, obviously though we have no evidence that he is a top 6 player across that front line playing regularly. Dolan is bright and energetic, and has raw talent. But a total unknown to us. Chapman went on a nice run, has talent, but he has come in from the cold. Rothwell, full of pace and energy, did little with it. Theres plenty of raw talent there but I just worry beside Dack and Armstrong, how many of our other attacking players can hit 5 goals this season?

There is reason to be excited by the youngsters but I dont expect too much from them all. It also cannot be lost how much we need to add quite a few to the squad. Obviously defensively but also could do with a drop of quality in attack.

Whilst I agree that we shouldn’t get carried away with a friendly, I also think any good performance should be recognised.

Also, isn’t it possible that Magloire could have improved since then?

• Like 6

Its was good work out for the players and we seems very settled in the tactics and formation going forward now. 

Maglorie and Williams did well today. Rankin Costello was very good. Nyambe pushing forward and causing problems which he needs more off and keep doing it. 

Fisher needs a loan and play regular first team football otherwise he will end up being another Jake Kean

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Totally agree. A lot of his game I was actually quite impressed by, but equally their chances came exclusively from loose defending from Fish, him, and at times Williams too (although I thought Williams was quite good).

12 months in league 1 and he could be a useful player

I'd take 12 months in L2 if that's the only level that's willing to offer him a starting role.

He needs a run of 30+ professional games under his belt, then we can revisit him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

It’s the classic “it’s only a friendly” when we play well, but “we’re doomed” when we don’t play well in a friendly. 

Behave. Any drastic conclusions shouldn't be taken either way. All of the things I have said are things that I would have said prior to the game.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Whilst I agree that we shouldn’t get carried away with a friendly, I also think any good performance should be encouraged.

Of course, it was a promising performance which I did point out to be fair.

Maybe, but he hasnt even played a minute in pre season and I dont expect or think that he will be around the first team this season. I am overly cautious that another summer in which the manager publically declares the need for "men" in defence is still not sorted. I also am unconvinced that we have enough goals for all of the pace, energy and potential across the front 3.

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Whilst I agree that we shouldn’t get carried away with a friendly, I also think any good performance should be encouraged.

Judging Magliore off his performance against Nuhiu is harsh.  He was poor that day but the Wednesday lad is about 6ft 8 and a Wylie old bugger.  He's limited but he will trouble most defenders. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Williams at CB is underestimated. He held the back line together today with his experience. Not favoured by Mowbray, it seems, nor by many on here, but we are going to need him alongside Lenihan against Bournemouth at this rate.

Williams has developed into a decent centre half - not the sort of player who will get you promotion but steady enough. Williams the left back I'd let go but as a squad centre half I'd keep him. 

• Like 3

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Judging Magliore off his performance against Nuhiu is harsh.  He was poor that day but the Wednesday lad is about 6ft 8 and a Wylie old bugger.  He's limited but he will trouble most defenders. 

I agree with Mowbray that we need more men back there. Nuhiu might be an extreme example but there will be other wily experienced strikers that lie in wait.

Really nice way to sign off the preseason. Excellent performance and very pleasantly surprised with how solid we generally looked defensively.

If you were basing it solely on today’s game you’d say we were in urgent need of a centre forward before any defensive reinforcements. I think Gallagher with JRC and Armstrong either side of him would be our best front three. Ideally we would add another striker who can be that central focal point.

10 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Williams at CB is underestimated. He held the back line together today with his experience. Not favoured by Mowbray, it seems, nor by many on here, but we are going to need him alongside Lenihan against Bournemouth at this rate.

There is a lot more to say about today's friendly (mostly positive), but for me, that's the biggest thing I took from it.

Willimas can defend. It's his distribution that lets him down. Mowbray can't have both him and Lenihan back there if he wants to play out from the back. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Missed the last 25mins but great to see that we grabbed an equaliser.

Bell played well for the most part but we still need a LB and CB.

JRC looks much better in an attacking role. Should be starting against Bournemouth there.

I'd be dropping BB though.

Why drop Brereton?

In my opinion he has done well in pre season.Nothing extraordinary but he has played well In pre season.

The lad needs a run of games, we paid 7 million for him it's now or never, if he is to do anything here or if we are to cut our losses and sell him next summer then he needs an opportunity 

• Like 5

Just now, islander200 said:

Why drop Brereton?

In my opinion he has done well in pre season.Nothing extraordinary but he has played well In pre season.

The lad needs a run of games, we paid 7 million for him it's now or never, if he is to do anything here or if we are to cut our losses and sell him next summer then he needs an opportunity 

Who would your front 3 be?

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Why drop Brereton?

Despite frequent claims he has been played out of position since the day we signed him, he appears to only have the inclination or ability to play as an inside forward/wide forward. For me there are several better options than him in that position. Doesn’t look like a centre forward in the slightest.

• Like 1

Decent effort good workout especially for the younger ones. Tactics spot on although Leicester style today seemed to suit. When the rough and tumble starts it'll be a far bigger test.

Hope the new keeper works out because that lad today isn't ready.

If only Williams and Bell could be relied on the play like that more often !

• Like 1