Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bloody hell Nyambe is destroying them, can’t believe some want to sell him on the cheap before his contract runs out  He’s a crown Jewell 

A very enjoyable game for a pre-season friendly and a very encouraging performance, particularly in the second half.  Felt sorry for Fisher who made a couple of clangers but otherwise did OK.  I thoug

Managers say all kinds of crap about each other before and after games. It’s just football politics. We had managers telling us all how good Kean was when he was here. Not a single one of them offered

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Not exactly Breretons fault that tho is it?That he didn't cut his teeth in the lower leagues?

Warburton who at one time many on here wanted as our manager saw fit to start him most weeks at forest when he was manager there.

My point is without a proper run in the side he will never do anything here and we be lucky to get 500k for him if he was to leave.He has done ok in pre season and ok after the covid break,think he deserves a chance to show if he can do anything for us

? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Not exactly Breretons fault that tho is it?That he didn't cut his teeth in the lower leagues?

Warburton who at one time many on here wanted as our manager saw fit to start him most weeks at forest when he was manager there.

My point is without a proper run in the side he will never do anything here and we be lucky to get 500k for him if he was to leave.He has done ok in pre season and ok after the covid break,think he deserves a chance to show if he can do anything for us

Nope that's Rovers they should have loaned him out from here when it was clear he wasn't going to cut the mustard at that point. A season or half of one somewhere would have put some fire in his belly.

Looked ok last pre season then didn't really get a sniff then injury did for him so yes agree now is the time for him to have a run. If he's playing well he shouldn't be dropped at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If only some of our other players could learn from Dolan when it comes to drive. Never seen a player since Harrison Reed with so much sheer determination to go and win the ball back.

If we’re going to operate a high press, the players have to believe in it and execute it to the upmost of their ability.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

A mention for Buckley. The LCFC commentators were full of admiration for him, and rightly so. He's going to be a class player for this club.

 

Applying all the usual caveats about it being a friendly etc. you can really see what all the fuss was about when he got on the ball today. Some glorious touches. Having the extra time and space made a big difference, not sure if the change in formation that we seem to be going towards has got this in mind.

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Travis has been off the pace pre season.

Odd as I always had him as one of our fittest.

Holtby impressed me today. Put a lot of effort in closing down and good on the ball, just hope he can stay fit for a decent run of games.

Magloire will develop and have a good career as a CB, hopefully with us

Lots of our players looked decent today. The real world test is a competitive match v Bournemouth next werk

Only real downer of pre season has been Travis. He's been consistently excellent since breaking through so it's a bit odd. Maybe waiting to turn it on again?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A general point - our academy players have all looked the part when they play with a few rough edges. We need to double down on them. I'd take finishing 10th again with them getting a season under their belt over finishing 8th with a bunch of journeymen and loans.

If we bring in an experienced CB and LB and just let everyone else have a go that's fine by me.

Edit - aligned to this I can't see us signing any players who are going to be genuine top six quality out of the gate. So I can't really see the risk in the above approach.

Edited by joey_big_nose
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

A general point - our academy players have all looked the part when they play with a few rough edges. We need to double down on them. I'd take finishing 10th again with them getting a season under their belt over finishing 8th with a bunch of journeymen and loans.

If we bring in an experienced CB and LB and just let everyone else have a go that's fine by me.

Edit - aligned to this I can't see us signing any players who are going to be genuine top six quality out of the gate. So I can't really see the risk in the above approach.

The problem is that the situation isnt as straightforward as your hypothetical scenario. Its an immeasurable difference. What if that 2 place gap was 6th and 8th?

There needs to be a balance in the squad and at the moment im not sure there is. Signing a couple of extra players doesnt cause a total block on the younger lads either.

Take the front line, across 3 places we have 2 proven goalscorers in Armstrong and Dack. We have a couple of players with reasonable experience in Gallagher and Rothwell who have convinced very few then beyond that, kids with promise and potential but none of which have proven capable of starting regularly for a Championship side in the upper regions of the table.

You chuck 1 more first team quality player in there, and theres still plenty of scope for the younger lads to break through and establish themselves beyond that, for 3 positions, where subs are most common and necessary across 46 games. Indeed, you look at a couple beyond the (slightly) more established ones such as Rankin Costello and Brereton, and maybe one or two could do with a loan as its unlikely that 5 or 6 will all break in at once. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeH said:

If only some of our other players could learn from Dolan when it comes to drive. Never seen a player since Harrison Reed with so much sheer determination to go and win the ball back.

If we’re going to operate a high press, the players have to believe in it and execute it to the upmost of their ability.

Holtby was the same when he first came, briefly.

Tony will soon knock all that nonsense and enthusiasm out of him and teach him how to 'hold his position like Evans and Smallwood.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Didn't watch the game.

Disappointed to see Wharton discarded after a decent performance last week. Good to see JRC being used in what I assume is his more natural position, I've not been at all impressed with him at full back.

Good to hear Nyambe played well. Will be a top player in years to come imo, shame we'll lose him for nothing at the end of the season (if he's here that long) due to the negligence of management.

Good to hear we have some talented youngsters, shame Mowbray is in charge and most of them probably won't feature once the League gets underway.

Wouldn't be surprised if Mowbray prefers a safety first (in his mind) line up for the League something like

                Kaminski

Bennett Lenihan Williams Bell

                  Holtby

        Travis Johnson

Gallagher Armstrong JRC

Not much point talking if you didn't even watch a game free on YouTube.

Bennet had no chance of starting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

At worst, and like it or not, Williams is our second-best centre-back at the club at this moment in time. I've seen him have more good games in that position than bad. It's obviously a different story when he plays at left-back, but I read that he made some sort of "ultimatum" to Mowbray that he wants to play at CB rather than LB... And I can see why.

I'm one of Bell's biggest critics, but he was very good today.

Give credit when it's due, Sparks. Both Williams and Bell were very good today against tough opposition. I thought our defence would have been run ragged, and that we were in for a drubbing. I was horribly wrong on both counts, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

I thought Williams did well today and I'm not a fan.   Bell had another poor game though for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't catch the match but got to be heartened by what I'm reading. Clearly more experience is needed at the back but to limit Leicester to just one goal, and a gift at that, sounds very positive. Great to hear of good performances from McGloire, Nyambe, Williams, Holtby (again) & JRC with strong cameos from Buckley, Dolan & Chapman. 

I think there's more depth to this squad than most at our level. If we can find a good back up GK, a 1st choice CB & LB then I think there's a real prospect of a strong push this season. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Comments from Brendan Rogers:

"You can see Blackburn are playing competitive football already in the Carabao Cup, so they're up and running and you can see with all the players, they're a good side. They're a team that will be up challenging in the Championship next season. It was always going be a really good test for us, but I'm pleased for likes of Daniel Amartey coming back, his first game in a long time."

As I've said previously, knowledgeable people outside of Ewood respect what is going on at Rovers and consider TM to be building something creditable, albeit we all know there's work to do. It's far from all doom & gloom as is often inferred on these boards.

That's also the first goal Leicester have conceded all preseason apparently. That's no mean feat either, esp as we apparently had other good chances too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no doubt that Mowbray is respected in the footballing world, but Rodgers is hardly going to say "I am really disapointed not to win because I have little respect for Mowbray and they will be struggling with him as manager."

And ultimately I think we did pretty well today and indeed even if I have various doubts about us and our current squad, I also am happy with quite a few players and indeed if Mowbray left tonight I would consider him to have done a good job. But managers will always support one another.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Mike E unpinned this topic
37 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Managers say all kinds of crap about each other before and after games. It’s just football politics.

Ok, so why does Mowbray get so many pelters on here from many for his complimentary comments about our opponents, if it's just to be accepted as football politics when others do it?  Double standards don't you think?

I just feel Mowbray gets unfairly critiqued on every aspect of his management style by folk who just can't wait to get a dig in.  There's room for improvement of course, and I'm not opposed to fair criticism. But there's a context & a bigger picture that gets ignored.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, philipl said:

Leicester will struggle this season. They had a horrible end to last season and are weaker now.

That said that was very encouraging from Rovers.

Fisher had horror moments which kill any prospects of a career but his distribution was mostly excellent.

Bell looked very decent

Nyambe outstanding- he will be a PL player

Williams very solid but Magliore was superb against Vardy. Not seen him before but as others have said probably the best of the trio emerging; Carter sadly gets done for pace- not Tyler Magliore!

Another anonymous Johnson performance, Travis more interested than in other friendiles but Buckley and Davenport were outstanding when they came on.

Lovely cameo from Chapman but the tackling back by Dolan was something else.

Star of the show was JRC- he is going to be one hell of a player for us this season.

Yes but let's not overlook his contribution off the ball.  I noticed at times today he was Andrew-esque showing some first rate pointing abilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Ok, so why does Mowbray get so many pelters on here from many for his complimentary comments about our opponents, if it's just to be accepted as football politics when others do it?  Double standards don't you think?

I just feel Mowbray gets unfairly critiqued on every aspect of his management style by folk who just can't wait to get a dig in.  There's room for improvement of course, and I'm not opposed to fair criticism. But there's a context & a bigger picture that gets ignored.

No idea. My personal view is that there is a balance and that we shouldn’t go into games pitching ourselves as underdogs against lower league opponents and picking a defensive side.

But all managers talk bollocks in press conferences.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Didn't watch the game.

Disappointed to see Wharton discarded after a decent performance last week. Good to see JRC being used in what I assume is his more natural position, I've not been at all impressed with him at full back.

Good to hear Nyambe played well. Will be a top player in years to come imo, shame we'll lose him for nothing at the end of the season (if he's here that long) due to the negligence of management.

Good to hear we have some talented youngsters, shame Mowbray is in charge and most of them probably won't feature once the League gets underway.

Wouldn't be surprised if Mowbray prefers a safety first (in his mind) line up for the League something like

                Kaminski

Bennett Lenihan Williams Bell

                  Holtby

        Travis Johnson

Gallagher Armstrong JRC

Imagine how the lad feels.  ToMo's way though isn't it.  Unless he wasn't fit enough.

Edited by USABlue
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Exactly, if you were Nyambe why on earth would you sign a new deal? Frequently overlooked in favour of the woeful Bennett and stifled in terms of his attacking play by timid Tony.

Will be able to name his price if he allows his contract to run down. Abysmal management and forward planning by us.

Spot on, made worse by the fact.he has been dropped for Bennett even after turning in a decent performance.  You don't think the lad knows he's better by far than Bennett.  My money is on another Hoilett and Mahoney situation.  I personally thing young Nyambe is destined for great things once he finds a set up that can nurture him.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

 

Applying all the usual caveats about it being a friendly etc. you can really see what all the fuss was about when he got on the ball today. Some glorious touches. Having the extra time and space made a big difference, not sure if the change in formation that we seem to be going towards has got this in mind.

Good players carry their own space around with them. He seems to have that ability. He's never rushed either, always playing within himself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.