Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This was the first England game in years that I deliberately chose to miss, just could not be bothered and went off to bed before midnight here. 

I did watch some 10-minute highlights on Youtube which was mostly the Czech Republic attacking. Pickford made a couple of good saves, I thought it was a foul on Sterling and Kane missed a good chance.

I am starting to realise in my dotage that I don't love football the way I used to.

Fuck Off Venkys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just play less internationals full stop, then you don’t have to make up a convoluted competition to replace friendlies. All you need is Qualifiers, a few warm up games before a tournament and the tour

Elgar's Land of Hope and Glory is far superior to the dirgy GSTQ, more upbeat and a better celebration of "Englishness".  Elgar was a football fan too - a Wolves supporter - which makes it perfec

Southgate beat Spain the last time he faced them..............

Posted Images

  • Moderation Lead
50 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If he's worse than Sancho he shouldn't be playing at all. These lads sum up what is wrong with modern football, not a spark of inspiration or willingness to try something different. They play like robots that have been programmed to play football. There was no tempo to our play, the Czechs played at twice the level of intensity. I don't rate Southgate and I never have. He's completely colourless, just like the team. It was like watching Rovers on a bad day.

Fundamentally, they’re both just kids.

I agree though, there’s a serious lack of creativity in the side. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

England never got going at all. 

I dont know why Rashford didnt start in place of Sancho. Rice, Mount and Tripper have been good for club. But felt Barkley did more than Mount did. 

Henderson wouldnt start for me either

Rashford, as @K-Hod touched on is so overrated. Been absolute crap for United, I've never been that impressed with him his numbers have never been particularly impressive whereas Sancho continues to impress for Dortmund and gets goals and assists. Deserved to start although had a poor game.

Henderson is far better than Rice, Champions League winning captain and a constant in an unreal Liverpool side, if its on club form hes one of the first names on the team sheet.

Rice is decidely average however, and you dont need him AND Henderson. The latters passing was poor yesterday but he was at least making himself available and showing some leadership and some bollocks, Rice hid all game, never making angles. Winks should play for me.

Trippier was woeful all last season as he even admitted himself, I think the move to Atletico seems to be a good one for him but enough to jump him ahead of the top class Alexander-Arnold? Not in a million years.

Chilwell should start ahead of Rose, another of Southgates favourites. And how Keane even makes the squad is a joke, one of Southgates favourites but absolute dog shit. Same with Delph, only missed out through injury.

Would be really interesting to see how a Mourinho type would do with England for a tournament. His ability to organise and drill a team, with the players in attack always capable of nicking goals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Rashford, as @K-Hod touched on is so overrated. Been absolute crap for United, I've never been that impressed with him his numbers have never been particularly impressive whereas Sancho continues to impress for Dortmund and gets goals and assists. Deserved to start although had a poor game.

Henderson is far better than Rice, Champions League winning captain and a constant in an unreal Liverpool side, if its on club form hes one of the first names on the team sheet.

Rice is decidely average however, and you dont need him AND Henderson. The latters passing was poor yesterday but he was at least making himself available and showing some leadership and some bollocks, Rice hid all game, never making angles. Winks should play for me.

Trippier was woeful all last season as he even admitted himself, I think the move to Atletico seems to be a good one for him but enough to jump him ahead of the top class Alexander-Arnold? Not in a million years.

Chilwell should start ahead of Rose, another of Southgates favourites. And how Keane even makes the squad is a joke, one of Southgates favourites but absolute dog shit. Same with Delph, only missed out through injury.

Would be really interesting to see how a Mourinho type would do with England for a tournament. His ability to organise and drill a team, with the players in attack always capable of nicking goals.

Rashford should have start yesterday instead of Sancho for me. United have put too much pressure on him too young. Sancho at Dortmund doesnt have that. 

Rice has been good for West Ham this role and he played that role for his club whilst Henderson doesnt. Henderson wouldnt be in my team. 

For me, I be happy either at right back tbh. 

Agreed on Chilwell. 

Wouldnt want Mourinho anywhere near these players. Southgate still the right guy for our squad. 

This team shouldnt be nicking goals but playing attacking football

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderation Lead


Quite surprised you’d rather Rashford would start Chaddy. He has  been playing terribly and looks burnt out. 

Sancho if anything has had more pressure on him. Younger player, foreign country and he’s thriving. His numbers are far better than Rashford‘s as well, he’s also younger.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rashford should have start yesterday instead of Sancho for me. United have put too much pressure on him too young. Sancho at Dortmund doesnt have that. 

Rice has been good for West Ham this role and he played that role for his club whilst Henderson doesnt. Henderson wouldnt be in my team. 

For me, I be happy either at right back tbh. 

Agreed on Chilwell. 

Wouldnt want Mourinho anywhere near these players. Southgate still the right guy for our squad. 

This team shouldnt be nicking goals but playing attacking football

I have never been overly impressed by Rashford, I dont think hes that good. But he certainly isnt on form and there would be no justification for playing him over Sancho considering how well he is doing at Dortmund, goals and assists all the time.

Rice is a bog standard player for me, good to be in the squad, not one to build around. Jordan Henderson is a regular and is the captain of superb Liverpool side. He is far better than Rice, and as I said you dont need both. 

It was more just a comment on Mourinho, I wasnt saying he should be manager but I am not convinced that Southgate is capable of organising these defenders.

Thoughts on his continued selection of the woeful Michael Keane and repeatedly going back to Delph?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gomez potentially is the best we have if fit. Keane has awful distribution and should be nowhere near the squad. Mings  is upper championship/lower premier league .

Cant believe Kyle Walker can’t get in that team.  I’d play Maguire/Gomez/Walker in a 3 with Alexander Arnold right wing back and Chilwell as left wing back. 

Edited by Sparks Rover
Link to post
Share on other sites

England were woeful yesterday and deserve all the criticism they are getting. The Kosovo game was a warning, the Czech's did the same as Kosovo did; run at England and they'll fold.

It's been an known problem for a while that England's back line isn't top class. Maguire has been good for club and country yet he's now a Man U player working with an inferior manager than Rodgers at Leicester. Keane alongside him isn't an international player. Yet options are limited at the mo. Stones is injured and Gomez (who I think is superb) isn't getting a game for Liverpool. Who else is there? Tarkowski isn't up to it either.

Full backs are also up for discussion. Rose is past it. Chilwell is competent but largely untested. Shaw was touted for years yet after weathering the constant grief from Mourinho week in week out he's now injured again. Trippier deserves credit for going to Spain. He'll improve playing for Simeone but he's another one pushing 30. Trent AA is young and a fixture for Liverpool. He should play every game.

Rice was crap, but is young. Sancho has a future but had a bad game. Kane will score goals but is somewhat immobile, especially contrasted to Sterling and Sancho. 

Rashford needs to leave Man U to fulfill his talent. If Klopp had him he'd be a world beater. Unfortunately he gets shunted around for Martial. 

Winks deserves a shot as he can keep the ball. Also if Phil Foden is the second coming he should be there too.

Chelsea's contingent could help too. Mount, Loftus-Cheek, Hudson-Odoi, Tomori, and to a lesser extent Barkley can all play.

England will qualify. It's what happens after that is the issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4-0 at half time. England are cruising against a bad Bulgaria team.

The game has been stopped twice due to racist chanting by sections of the Bulgaria fans.

UEFA should abandon the game, award England the 4-0 victory, then talk about closed door games.

Unfortunately this exists everywhere. It was only last week that I posted an article about a Burnley fan racially abusing Burnley players.

Edited by speeeeeeedie
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Husky said:

This is exactly why I hate the qualifying rounds (and am thoroughly against extending any Finals to accommodate even more shite teams).

FIVE nil.

Yeah agree. Actually think the nations league set up is a far more interesting format. Or a davis cup style of qualification. Top tier battles it out for all the finals places leaving the bottom 1 or 2 to have a play off with the top 2 of tier 2 and so forth.

Something like that anyway. It would do away with friendlies (except major tournament warm ups) and pointless games like these.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

4-0 at half time. England are cruising against a bad Bulgaria team.

The game has been stopped twice due to racist chanting by sections of the Bulgaria fans.

UEFA should abandon the game, award England the 4-0 victory, then talk about closed door games.

Unfortunately this exists everywhere. It was only last week that I posted an article about a Burnley fan racially abusing Burnley players.

To be fair it seems like the UEFA protocol worked, the neo nazi kids left at half time and second half has been played in an okay atmosphere (as far as I can tell from tv anyway).

Link to post
Share on other sites

The authorities knew there was going to be racist abuse tonight. It was discussed at length in the build up. Whatever racism issues we have here its a footnote compared to continental Europe. It’s bloody endemic there in spite what their coach thinks. UEFA will come out with all the usual sound bites of this shouldn’t be happening in 2019. Bulgaria will get another fine most likely something pathetic like 10k. Same drill as when we played in Madrid in 2005. 

Business as usual. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was like a pre-season friendly. What's happened to Bulgarian football ? They were dire, Rovers would have given them a game. England won by a pan full without every really getting out of second gear. They played walking football most of the game, that's ok against these crap teams but can they step it up against teams that press all over the pitch ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.