BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I could have gone to that game but I chose to go to Brazil versus Hungary instead. I was hoping to see Pele play but he was rested.

Remember the Bulgaria match well.As a young lad it was a privilege to see that Brazil team. Garrincha made a big impression on me, a beautiful player to watch. Liverpool was crammed with Brazil fans most of them sleeping rough on the streets. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Remember the Bulgaria match well.As a young lad it was a privilege to see that Brazil team. Garrincha made a big impression on me, a beautiful player to watch. Liverpool was crammed with Brazil fans most of them sleeping rough on the streets. 

I remember the free kick Garrincha scored in that game Jim. He hit the ball with the outside of his right foot with terrific bend on the old ball. It went past the inside of the wall and and then curved back away into the near top corner of the goal. Amazing free kick. Next day I was trying to get the same bend on the ball but without much success.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, philipl said:

Agreed. Whatever happened to Bulgarian football? They used to be a fearsome country to play against with the truly world class like Stoichkov.

Truth. I remember my father telling me stories about Asparuhov’s incredible goal against you lots at the old Wembley in 1968.

As a small country we have been lucky enough to have some world class footballers over the years. - Obviously the 1994’s golden generation of Stoichkov, Balakov, Kostadinov, Letchkov etc. But also in more recent years with Berbatov and the two Petrov. Unfortunately those times are long gone. I want to believe that as a country, we are going in the right direction - the standard of living is getting higher, the education system is on a very good level and we are trying to establish ourselves as a Tourist destination. However, the football and sport in general are proper dead. The corruption in the country is too big and the sport is seen as an easy and guaranteed way of making some dirty money.

8 years ago, as a teenager, I signed a professional contract with a team from the second division of Bulgaria, before that I played  and captained the U21 team of the same club. I spent 3 years at the club and participated in around 60 ish matches. Probably 50 of them were fixed and we were told and forced to follow commands and score goals when we were instructed to score goals, and to concede goals when we were told to concede them.

The whole country knew about that, but nothing did anything about it for the simple reason that it is all a well connected corruption chain/net and everyone made/ makes money out of teams like that. Everyone, including the  Bulgarian football federation itself. Its sad, but noone cares about developing players or improving stadiums and facilities anymore. All they care about is making money for themselves.

Didn’t even watch the match tonight. Were there any real racist chants and shouts or was it just ordinary boo-ing, as this is something quite normal in Eastern Europe and all players get it, not just the dark skinned ones?

Edited by skous18
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

It will be a sad day when Southgate leaves the role as England manager. Absolute gent and seems to do and say everything right. Has his players playing for him and he stands by them no matter what the circumstances.

totally agree. Southgate is the best manager for this current team and players. 

The racism tonight is unacceptable and its time that UEFA and FIFA took some proper action like banning these countries from international football for 2 or 4 years and all European clubs competitions. Its time for some proper action now

• Like 2

I know what you’re saying but monkey noises or booing combined with nazi salutes, combined with it being specifically directed at our black players, combined with the fact they had a reduced allocation for similar things. There’s only one conclusion to draw. 

• Like 2

I can't help thinking that the England team walking off and not coming back would have made a much stronger statement (which is what they said they would do). That for me would have put pressure firmly on UEFA to take really strong action rather than the piddling little fines and part ground closures that they think will cure this disease. It's simple for me, Bulgaria should be banned from the next World Cup.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, skous18 said:

Truth. I remember my father telling me stories about Asparuhov’s incredible goal against you lots at the old Wembley in 1968.

As a small country we have been lucky enough to have some world class footballers over the years. - Obviously the 1994’s golden generation of Stoichkov, Balakov, Kostadinov, Letchkov etc. But also in more recent years with Berbatov and the two Petrov. Unfortunately those times are long gone. I want to believe that as a country, we are going in the right direction - the standard of living is getting higher, the education system is on a very good level and we are trying to establish ourselves as a Tourist destination. However, the football and sport in general are proper dead. The corruption in the country is too big and the sport is seen as an easy and guaranteed way of making some dirty money.

8 years ago, as a teenager, I signed a professional contract with a team from the second division of Bulgaria, before that I played  and captained the U21 team of the same club. I spent 3 years at the club and participated in around 60 ish matches. Probably 50 of them were fixed and we were told and forced to follow commands and score goals when we were instructed to score goals, and to concede goals when we were told to concede them.

The whole country knew about that, but nothing did anything about it for the simple reason that it is all a well connected corruption chain/net and everyone made/ makes money out of teams like that. Everyone, including the  Bulgarian football federation itself. Its sad, but noone cares about developing players or improving stadiums and facilities anymore. All they care about is making money for themselves.

Didn’t even watch the match tonight. Were there any real racist chants and shouts or was it just ordinary boo-ing, as this is something quite normal in Eastern Europe and all players get it, not just the dark skinned ones?

Your dad wasn't wrong about the Asparukhov  goal. It was a brilliant effort, I can still remember it after all these years and that was against a top class England team also. He was a fantastic striker who ran England ragged that night with not much service.. He was like a quicker Berbatov ! These days he would be playing for somebody like PSG or Barca, he was that good.I believe he was a bit of a playboy who came to a sticky end.

Edit. If you go on Youtube there are short highlights of the game with the Asparukov goal. Our own Keith Newton is the England player he makes a mug of on the run towards goal. That didn't happen often.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

It will be a sad day when Southgate leaves the role as England manager. Absolute gent and seems to do and say everything right. Has his players playing for him and he stands by them no matter what the circumstances.

I don't rate him as a football manager. He's more of a front man who can handle a press conference adequately. A typical FA " men in suits " appointment.  We'll win nothing with him in change no matter how many talented players we have. He talks a good game but he's a lightweight when it comes to actually winning things. He makes a good figurehead  but we need a proper coach actually running the team.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, skous18 said:

Maybe monkey noises in the UK sound like booing and thats why you got confused, who knows ?‍♂️

I'll be honest. Masked men giving Nazi salutes and racially abusing others can't really be misunderstood and it's not a subject for levity. It's not a Bulgarian thing. It's not an English thing. It's a issue for humanity that vermin across the world from Charlottesville to Sofia via Stamford Bridge can still grow up thinking this is fine.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't rate him as a football manager. He's more of a front man who can handle a press conference adequately. A typical FA " men in suits " appointment.  We'll win nothing with him in change no matter how many talented players we have. He talks a good game but he's a lightweight when it comes to actually winning things. He makes a good figurehead  but we need a proper coach actually running the team.

Can you name this "proper coach" who would want to take the job ? Southgate took over a team of serial under achievers and took them to the semi finals of the World Cup which to my way of thinking shows him to be the right man for the job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Can you name this "proper coach" who would want to take the job ? Southgate took over a team of serial under achievers and took them to the semi finals of the World Cup which to my way of thinking shows him to be the right man for the job.

Much as I hate to say it Dyche would get more out of the players we've got.If you wanted another name , Eddie Howe at Bournemouth. For me they'll always be under achievers with this guy in charge. We huffed and puffed to get to that semi final and lost to the first good team we came up against.

55 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Much as I hate to say it Dyche would get more out of the players we've got.If you wanted another name , Eddie Howe at Bournemouth. For me they'll always be under achievers with this guy in charge. We huffed and puffed to get to that semi final and lost to the first good team we came up against.

Youre not alone thinking this but I have to say I just don't get it. He's got a squad with very few top players (Kane, Stirling, Henderson), some okay upper mid table prem types, and a lot of players who can't get in their club teams and a lot of kids - only one of whom who really seems like they definitely will become world class (Sancho). Compared to France, Germany, Brazil etc it's pretty slim pickings. He's done really well broadly speaking with clever tactics and imagination.

The England job really is a thankless one. I'm sure if Dyche or Howe or Mourinho or Ferguson took the job they'd get the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Southgate has been a breath of fresh air. I think that Allardyce would have been just as good. He would have had plenty of time in between games to develop and exploit the margins.

The England job should be a figure head one. He only has the players for brief periods. His job should be to motivate and make sure that the squad meshes. He's done that.

He can't help that the country is short on quality defenders.

He was also heavily involved in the youth set up prior to him becoming manager. There is no doubt that there are a lot of talented young players in England now.

• Like 3

Some things (most things) are bigger than football. 

I am happy to have Southgate in charge. I think he has totally changed that attitude of the England team and players and I am proud to have someone like him in charge when dealing with such an important moment in English/European/World football. 

If nothing else we can guarantee that he will always conduct himself with a degree of class and intelligence. That is a wonderful example to set.

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Some things (most things) are bigger than football. 

I am happy to have Southgate in charge. I think he has changed totally changed that attitude of the England team and players and I am proud to have someone like him in charge when dealing with such an important moment in English/European/World football. 

If nothing else we can guarantee that he will always conduct himself with a degree of class and intelligence. That is a wonderful example to set.

If I was looking for a son-in-law he'd be perfect. I just don't think he's got what it takes as a manager to win things. We'll see who is right soon enough.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I was looking for a son-in-law he'd be perfect. I just don't think he's got what it takes as a manager to win things. We'll see who is right soon enough.

Only one England manager has ever won things with England - and a lot of men who came to the job with good credentials have come up very short - in contrast Southgate has already got England as far in a World Cup as we have ever got abroad and that was at his first attempt . I think it is crazy to be doubting the guy. You refer to Dyche and Howe both of whom have been excellent at their clubs but neither have yet won anything either and they do have the luxury of working in jobs with low levels of expectation - which is very different from the England job.

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Only one England manager has ever won things with England - and a lot of men who came to the job with good credentials have come up very short - in contrast Southgate has already got England as far in a World Cup as we have ever got abroad and that was at his first attempt . I think it is crazy to be doubting the guy. You refer to Dyche and Howe both of whom have been excellent at their clubs but neither have yet won anything either and they do have the luxury of working in jobs with low levels of expectation - which is very different from the England job.

Dyche won the Championship in a canter with the dingles. Eddie Howe won the Championship with Bournemouth. That's more than Southgate's ever won as a manager.

If either of those two ever came to Rovers I'd be expecting us to be promoted, if Southgate came I'd be expecting us to be exactly where we are now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Dyche won the Championship in a canter with the dingles. Eddie Howe won the Championship with Bournemouth. That's more than Southgate's ever won as a manager.

If either of those two ever came to Rovers I'd be expecting us to be promoted, if Southgate came I'd be expecting us to be exactly where we are now.

The England job is way different from the Championship or club football generally - Owen Coyle got Burnley promoted so you would prefer him to manage England to Southgate ?

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

The England job is way different from the Championship or club football generally - Owen Coyle got Burnley promoted so you would prefer him to manage England to Southgate ?

Its is. One of the best club managers of his era, Fabio Capello, completely failed with England. Hodgson is another one. A very good club manager who was woeful as England manager. I think that Guardiola would be a terrible international manager. He's too hands on and thrives on details and repetition.

The national team job requires different skills. Hopefully the FA has learned from this that the next boss shouldn't be Mourinho, Alex Ferguson, or Arsene Wenger but someone who can command a room, and have a coaching staff who are good at setting up a team.

• Like 1