BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

38 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

England 3-0 in front and cruising, but I still agree. Three at the back just seems senseless to me? The 433 we were playing back end of 2018 was great. Why haven't we not just stuck with that?

On the plus side Calvert-Lewin looks a beast and Grealish looking very dangerous. Another exciting set of forward player to add to the reams we already have.

Haven't conceded in 6 games too, so we are doing pretty well. Belgium will tell us a lot more.

Grealish looks a very good player in the making. The problem is we've plenty of good players but hardly any great ones. Alf Ramsey reckoned to win the big games you needed at least 3 World class players. That means if you were picking a World 11 you would have at least 3 of those players in your team. He reckoned we had 3 in Banks, Moore and Bobby Charlton when we won the World cup with Ray Wilson knocking on the door of the World 11.

47 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Grealish looks a very good player in the making. The problem is we've plenty of good players but hardly any great ones. Alf Ramsey reckoned to win the big games you needed at least 3 World class players. That means if you were picking a World 11 you would have at least 3 of those players in your team. He reckoned we had 3 in Banks, Moore and Bobby Charlton when we won the World cup with Ray Wilson knocking on the door of the World 11.

Not sure what international side can boast 3 players in a world XI at the moment? France?

England have a fantastic squad at the moment with 3 outstanding attacking talents in Kane, Sterling and Sancho. Defence and keeper is a worry but broadly we are one of the best teams in the world at the minute.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not sure what international side can boast 3 players in a world XI at the moment? France?

England have a fantastic squad at the moment with 3 outstanding attacking talents in Kane, Sterling and Sancho. Defence and keeper is a worry but broadly we are one of the best teams in the world at the minute.

I'd say Belgium have top players. England are ok at beating up the little kids, when the big lads come into the play ground  it's another story.

• Like 4

England seem to perpetually be a young team with a great future ahead of them. I remember thinking before the 2014 world cup, we've got a good young squad, give it a couple of years and we'll be a real force' I've had the same thought before every tournament since. Think we're edging closer though but we always seem to be a team full of potential. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

England seem to perpetually be a young team with a great future ahead of them. I remember thinking before the 2014 world cup, we've got a good young squad, give it a couple of years and we'll be a real force' I've had the same thought before every tournament since. Think we're edging closer though but we always seem to be a team full of potential. 

I always think the same but never seems to come to much. I was curious/exited after winning the Under 20s World Cup to see how many would come through or even play regular top division football. So far Kyle Walker, Maitland-niles and Calvert-lewin the double barrel crew have played for England which is better than expected. But how much worth can you put on an England cap these days. 

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd say Belgium have top players. England are ok at beating up the little kids, when the big lads come into the play ground  it's another story.

Belgium only got a 1-1 with Ivory Coast last night although that probably says more about the quality of Ivorians emerging.

21 minutes ago, matt83 said:

But how much worth can you put on an England cap these days. 

Exactly, I remember players like Bentley and warnock being at the top of their game and not getting give a fair shout for england. You used to have to be producing some magical stuff to displace the "golden generation" which was a bit annoying at times but I do think it's now gone too far the other way. 

I remember about feb time, there was a talksport segment where they were outraged that foden hadnt been given a cap (despite being a sub/ league cup play for city) 10 years ago, that wouldnt have been a thing. 

6 hours ago, Kie_BRFC said:

Can Ancelotti nip in to Brockhall and work his magic on Gallager that he's done on Calvert-Lewin? Similar attributes, absolutely no reason why Gallagher can't put himself about like Calvert-Lewin does

i would`nt complain if carlo decided to pop into brockhall for a cup of tea and chat with gally?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Think back to the 90s when multiple title winners like Steve Bruce, Steve Bould, Nigel Winterburn couldn’t get a sniff of a cap...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matt83 said:

I always think the same but never seems to come to much. I was curious/exited after winning the Under 20s World Cup to see how many would come through or even play regular top division football. So far Kyle Walker, Maitland-niles and Calvert-lewin the double barrel crew have played for England which is better than expected. But how much worth can you put on an England cap these days. 

Dean Henderson was another. He hasn't played yet but he looks a talent. It also had Harry Chapman and Adam Armstrong. 

6 hours ago, RoverDom said:

2014 was awful, but 4 years later England got to the semi final so progress was made.

I think the talent pool is larger now than it has been for a while, yet needs a strong central defender, and the same in central midfield. Find those and England will have a chance to win something.

• Moderation Lead

Some of the players being called up are just getting sympathy caps as far as I’m concerned. 
Our central defensive options are as weak as I can remember then being tbh!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Some of the players being called up are just getting sympathy caps as far as I’m concerned. 
Our central defensive options are as weak as I can remember then being tbh!

I like coady as a cb but I do miss the days of Ferdinand and terry. 

• Like 2

On 08/10/2020 at 21:25, joey_big_nose said:

England 3-0 in front and cruising, but I still agree. Three at the back just seems senseless to me? The 433 we were playing back end of 2018 was great. Why haven't we not just stuck with that?

On the plus side Calvert-Lewin looks a beast and Grealish looking very dangerous. Another exciting set of forward player to add to the reams we already have.

Haven't conceded in 6 games too, so we are doing pretty well. Belgium will tell us a lot more.

At the time of writing it was a turgid 0-0 with wales dominating the ball. The games pre covid were some of the best ive seen from england with a 4-3-3. So much movement up front and an energetic midfield. A bit Liverpool like. 

Hoping the last few games have been experimenting with plan Bs and Cs and well revert back for the bigger games. 

Belgium would have put the game out of reach after that first half hour vs wales.

A win is a win though  and a clean sheet.

• Like 1

Bizarre team named by Southgate again today, both in terms of personnel and balance. The useless Pickford back in, 3 right footed centre backs, one being a natural right back, one a converted poor midfielder in Dier and of course the cumbersome Maguire. A right footed left wing back in Trippier. Rice in central midfield ensuring no creativity from there. Teachers pet Mount selected over Grealish and Sancho.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Even with a couple of their best players missing. Still can’t get over 3 right backs playing in a formation that ironically doesn’t include a right back. 

Walker is playing on the right of back 3 like he did in the World Cup 2018 where we finished 4th in the tournament. 

Tripper is playing left back cos Chilwell is injured. Is Saka injury? Do we have any more good left back playing at the minute?

Alexander-Arnold will be the right wing back role. Same role he played for liverpool back in back 4. Cos he is wing back role there and provided the width. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Bizarre team named by Southgate again today, both in terms of personnel and balance. The useless Pickford back in, 3 right footed centre backs, one being a natural right back, one a converted poor midfielder in Dier and of course the cumbersome Maguire. A right footed left wing back in Trippier. Rice in central midfield ensuring no creativity from there. Teachers pet Mount selected over Grealish and Sancho.

Pickford useless? what a complete over reacting again from yourself. He should be number 1 for England and his performances for England have been very good. 

Yes the natural right back Walker in back 3 but we had that when we finished 4th in 2018 world cup, didn't see you complaining then? 

Dier is a natural centre back and thats why he started his career there for Sporting Lisbon. Also Mourinho has made him his number 1 choice at Spurs. Is Mourinho wrong? 

Who else can we play at Left back with Saka and Cresswell out? any names instead of moans from you? Also Leicester right back Castagne is playing left wing back which everyone has over look. 

Mount should be starting anyway. His form is good and he would be in my starting 11 for England. Just like Maddison would be. 

Edited by chaddyrovers