BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

A much more reasoned answer than the other poster but still no alternative is offered and in naming Capello and Hodgson, managers with more track record than Southgate, you illustrate how difficult it is to get this "someone better" that people always hanker after.

I wouldnt doubt that it is difficult to get the right man for the job to be fair. I have no examples off the top of my head I will concede. I also dont see that as much of a reason to keep Southgate in necessarily otherwise you are essentially accepting that your manager is perhaps not taking you in a forward direction (in my opinion anyway) but are just keeping him out of fear. For me especially with no relegation fear (and thus at times terminal financial reprecussions) theres no point sticking IMO.

• Like 1

As much as Grealish is an excellent footballer, I’m not convinced that his game is suited to top international football. As a striker wanting the early ball, you could get pretty frustrated IMO.

what an easy win that was for Belgium tonight. That says it all really.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Reading back through the thread this caught my eye - where did you get this impression from? Quotes from Southgate or staff?

The whole 343 thing with two holding midfielders is crackers. Looking forward to going back to 433 as you suggest.

It was said by Southgate before the Covid-19 pandemic hit the UK hard. 

I dont know how we played tonight or the starting 11 today. I didnt watch the game. 

The switch back to 3-4-3 is baffling. More so that Kyle Walker is now back at the right side of the 3. He is a good player, but he looks lost playing further inside. 4-3-3 is much more suitable for the payers that Southgate has available.

I assume that Southgate's preferred front 3 is be Kane partnered by 2 from either Sterling, Rashford, or Sancho. Grealish is a talent but playing him means a shift in tactics. Maybe use him as a sub, he comes on if England up to keep possession and get free kicks.

I've not seen much of Rice so can't really judge. He looks OK, but nothing special. Although plenty like him. He is still young, is captain of West Ham, and Chelsea are rumoured to be willing to spend big money to sign him.

As to the game. Whilst acknowledging England's lack of shots on target and sometime pedestrian play Belgium's first goal was a deflected effort and the second was a great free kick - which should never have been given.

I thought that the referee was poor too. 

Plenty for Southgate to ponder. Kane is yet to get is annual injury too.

1 hour ago, den said:

As much as Grealish is an excellent footballer, I’m not convinced that his game is suited to top international football.

Come on Den, I'm surprised at this comment.  You are holding his superior football brain and technique against him.....put him in spains team, Belgium,  he would slot right in.  We have too much shyte who are not international class,  Kane, Rice, Chilwell, Mings, Dier, Winks??, etc, etc.

And to think Southgate was practically forced into playing him as he clearly didn't or doesn't fancy him.....reminds me of someone closer to home with trav

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Come on Den, I'm surprised at this comment.  You are holding his superior football brain and technique against him.....put him in spains team, Belgium,  he would slot right in.  We have too much shyte who are not international class,  Kane, Rice, Chilwell, Mings, Dier, Winks??, etc, etc.

And to think Southgate was practically forced into playing him as he clearly didn't or doesn't fancy him.....reminds me of someone closer to home with trav

If Kane isnt international class then there are maybe only one or two strikers in World football that are.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8816531/amp/Gareth-Southgate-insists-England-stick-3-4-3-formation.html

Southgate said previously that we are sticking with the formation and has planned to for a while. Not sure the pandemic can be blamed!

Fair enough. That explains Southgates thinking. Pretty depressing though, suggests we will prioritise not conceding, and as a result be a very dull team to watch.

For me the "champions don't take risks" thinking is a bit flawed.... Liverpool who have been very successful take a shedload of risks. What about Brazil? Hmmm. In effect we are playing the likes of Dier and Rice ahead of Sancho and Foden which seems daft to me. Not only are they more attacking players they are simply better...

Realistically it's hard to see Southgate losing his job before the Euros, but have to say outlook is not promising.

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Rovers and the Nations League? 

You some kind of masochist?

Genuinely think it's pretty good. You get the top sides in Europe playing one another regularly. Before between tournaments you basically had no idea how the team is shaping up.

Obviously it's a poor third place compared to World Cup and Euros, but loads more interesting than qualifiers or friendlies.

I suspect qualifiers may be faded out entirely in favour of the nation's league in the longer term.

• Moderation Lead
8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I agree with you about Grealish, I think he was one of the only players to emerge with any credit last night.

But Kane and Chilwell are by far our best options in their positions. There are hardly any better strikers than Kane about on the planet.

I think you’ve got that assessment badly wrong tbh.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Genuinely think it's pretty good. You get the top sides in Europe playing one another regularly. Before between tournaments you basically had no idea how the team is shaping up.

Obviously it's a poor third place compared to World Cup and Euros, but loads more interesting than qualifiers or friendlies.

I suspect qualifiers may be faded out entirely in favour of the nation's league in the longer term.

Combining the two would make sense, which they are halfway to doing already with ‘league’ winners getting a play off place. It’s a nonsense having both, especially this year.

20 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

There are hardly any better strikers than Kane about on the planet.

In your opinion.  Ive seen nothing but average performances at international level.  Hes not a captain either, you only have to watch the amazon documentary to see that....no charisma.

If theres no pace around him, he struggles.

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Fair enough. That explains Southgates thinking. Pretty depressing though, suggests we will prioritise not conceding, and as a result be a very dull team to watch.

For me the "champions don't take risks" thinking is a bit flawed.... Liverpool who have been very successful take a shedload of risks. What about Brazil? Hmmm. In effect we are playing the likes of Dier and Rice ahead of Sancho and Foden which seems daft to me. Not only are they more attacking players they are simply better...

Realistically it's hard to see Southgate losing his job before the Euros, but have to say outlook is not promising.

Plus you could argue that playing a third poor centre back and asking them to play out from the back as Dier tried and again failed to do yesterday is very much taking risks! And ones with minimal reward.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

In your opinion.  Ive seen nothing but average performances at international level.  Hes not a captain either, you only have to watch the amazon documentary to see that....no charisma.

If theres no pace around him, he struggles.

In mine and I imagine that of many others. It doesn’t even have to be an opinion, as to be fair, his numbers don’t lie, to ignore them is a different take, I’ll give you that!

I probably wouldn’t have him as captain either, but I’m not in charge....
Sounds like you’ve made up your mind on him, but I recall him getting us out of jail at the last WC on more than one occasion.

32 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

There are hardly any better strikers than Kane about on the planet.

Kane is one of the best strikers in the world. His record is second to none. 

Kane's career scoring record is world class 

This season for Spurs 14 games, 13 goals and 10 assists. 

His overall Spurs record is 301 games, 201 goals and 40 assists

England record is 50 games and 32 goals

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Who have you identified who will take England further than the World Cup semi final ?

Well Southgate won't, you can put your house on that. If by some chance Mowbray got knocked down by the proverbial red No17 bus and I read that we'd appointed Southgate in his place I wouldn't be doing handstands about it. That says it all for me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I knew it would go against the grain saying what I did Sparks, but I do believe that the way Grealish plays the game slows things down too much. 

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Never does it when it matters for me.  I understand he is a great premier league striker, something is missing for me with him at that higher level.....

I feel like that as well. I can't put my finger on it but he just doesn't set the pulse racing. He's a bit " colourless ".  The stats that Chaddy quoted are very impressive but for me he doesn't hold a candle to Shearer in his prime in the excitement stakes.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I feel like that as well. I can't put my finger on it but he just doesn't set the pulse racing. He's a bit " colourless ".  The stats that Chaddy quoted are very impressive but for me he doesn't hold a candle to Shearer in his prime in the excitement stakes.

I say the defending has got worse in this country.  If Tyrone Mings and Eric Dier are part of a trophy winning team I'll show my arse off town hall steps. No wonder Kane scores loads

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 3