BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

7 hours ago, matt83 said:

ps. The national anthem without a crowd and players too stupid or blaze to know or sing the words was something else.

I think the players and staff shouldn't sing the words. They should just stand to attention.

23 minutes ago, bazza said:

I think the players and staff shouldn't sing the words. They should just stand to attention.

I could go along with that. But watched a few of the euro 96 games when they were repeated last year. Loved watching the likes of tony Adams, Pearce, Southgate, pretty much all of them passionately boom it out. Probably either properly sing it or reverently stand to attention but 11 blokes half mumbling it last night was a total shambles. 

The national anthem is total garbage, I can see why players don't feel inspired to sing it.

Wish we had a decent one that celebrated the country rather than banging on about saving one of the surely already most safe people on the planet.

Not that I have anything against the queen, it's just a terrible tune with even worse words. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

The national anthem is total garbage, I can see why players don't feel inspired to sing it.

Wish we had a decent one that celebrated the country rather than banging on about saving one of the surely already most safe people on the planet.

Not that I have anything against the queen, it's just a terrible tune with even worse words. 

I equally don't understand those who clamour for it to be replaced by 'Jerusalem', a song literally about how shit it is in England to live and work.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I only saw the highlights for last night's game. As a marker to see where England are it is pointless. 

I'm glad that Southgate played 4 at the back though. Hopefully he sticks to it.

Here's my guess for his game 1 Euro's starting 11;

Pickford

Walker         Stones        Maguire       Chilwell

Rice

Henderson    Grealish

Rashford                                           Sterling

Kane

Of that 11 maybe Grealish could lose out to Foden or Mount. I think he'll stick with Pickford barring any disasters and Walker will keep his right back spot for one last tournament.

Hungary 3-3 Poland was a good result for England too.

Walkers not had a lot of game time for England recently, I think he's more likely to start trippier. He said he knows his 11 for Croatia and tournament experience is a key which points toward trippier or walker but walker has been in and out the squad. 

Obviously Henderson depends on fitness and I think grealish won't start, doesn't seem to be the go to choice for Southgate. 

Lingard will start if he's still fit and firing by then. 

2 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Walkers not had a lot of game time for England recently, I think he's more likely to start trippier. He said he knows his 11 for Croatia and tournament experience is a key which points toward trippier or walker but walker has been in and out the squad. 

Obviously Henderson depends on fitness and I think grealish won't start, doesn't seem to be the go to choice for Southgate. 

Lingard will start if he's still fit and firing by then. 

I don't think lingard will be going 

22 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes he does look in the powerful mode.

17 though... You get the odd wonder kid striker or winger who makes a huge impact at 17. But central midfield.. Can't think many players who have really made a big impact in that role until they are a bit older than that. Seems a big ask for this Euros.

But if he does make it Bellingham & Rice could be the midfield pair for 3 world cups given their age.

Jones rice Bellingham could set us up for the next 10 years.  Also skipp maybe Harvey elliot 

Elgar's Land of Hope and Glory is far superior to the dirgy GSTQ, more upbeat and a better celebration of "Englishness". 

Elgar was a football fan too - a Wolves supporter - which makes it perfect for the England football team 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Elgar's Land of Hope and Glory is far superior to the dirgy GSTQ, more upbeat and a better celebration of "Englishness". 

Elgar was a football fan too - a Wolves supporter - which makes it perfect for the England football team 

Better but still a bit "church organy"... If I could choose I'd go for "Gold" by Spandau Ballet. Not that it's particularly about England. But what a tune! Reckon we'd win a few things with the crowd belting it out.

More seriously... I suppose Jerusalem would do. Has a very good tune and evocative lyrics. Bit God-y, and a bit allegorical maybe, so the temptation would be to come up with a new verse or two to make it a bit more relevant. But not sure messing with the work of  William Blake is wise....

Anyway would love anything that isn't God Save the Queen.

27 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Better but still a bit "church organy"... If I could choose I'd go for "Gold" by Spandau Ballet. Not that it's particularly about England. But what a tune! Reckon we'd win a few things with the crowd belting it out.

More seriously... I suppose Jerusalem would do. Has a very good tune and evocative lyrics. Bit God-y, and a bit allegorical maybe, so the temptation would be to come up with a new verse or two to make it a bit more relevant. But not sure messing with the work of  William Blake is wise....

Anyway would love anything that isn't God Save the Queen.

Jerasulem's a bit cliched and was done to death in Chariots of Fire and similar, but I'd accept it

I'd much prefer Land of Hope and Glory...... it's upbeat and rousing and the words would annoy the other home countries, and the rest of the world. 

It'd even beat the Russian national anthem, which is my favourite of all

Anything other than our present dirge

19 hours ago, Mike E said:

I equally don't understand those who clamour for it to be replaced by 'Jerusalem', a song literally about how shit it is in England to live and work.

No it doesn't. Blake's words are wishing England to be more christian than it was during his life. The "dark satanic mills" refer to Oxford and Cambridge universities where there were many atheists, agnostics, and non-christians.

Anyway the current anthem is OK as long as people don't try to sing it. It has been admired by many foreigners as being a nice tune; short and sweet. It doesn't go on and on like e.g. Italy. Although I do like the Italian one.  My favourite is Hungary. The old Soviet one was good too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Obviously not England but incredibly Republic of Ireland lost at home to Luxembourg today. Scotland and Wales both have something about them at the moment but Irelands squad is absolutely dire.

Ireland are terrible.  Wales are slightly above average.  Scotland are decent. None of those teams would stand a chance against England 

• Backroom
13 hours ago, bazza said:

No it doesn't. Blake's words are wishing England to be more christian than it was during his life. The "dark satanic mills" refer to Oxford and Cambridge universities where there were many atheists, agnostics, and non-christians.

Anyway the current anthem is OK as long as people don't try to sing it. It has been admired by many foreigners as being a nice tune; short and sweet. It doesn't go on and on like e.g. Italy. Although I do like the Italian one.  My favourite is Hungary. The old Soviet one was good too.

I knew it was about wishing England was more Christian (another reason it would be an outdated anthem), but not heard that take on it before. Interesting.

I read it as a reference to the mills and factories being physically and mentally draining places to work, having a 'satanic' effect (to a Christian mind like Blake's) on the will of people to live a good Christian life.

Edited by Mike E

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Obviously not England but incredibly Republic of Ireland lost at home to Luxembourg today. Scotland and Wales both have something about them at the moment but Irelands squad is absolutely dire.

Yeah heck of a shock that one. 

I mean I appreciate Ireland aren't that good (although they were pretty decent when I was younger) but Luxemburg is a whole other level. Would expect a change of manager soon there as it's a devastating loss on top of some other poor results. 

Its incredible how poor their group of players is, due to the boredom of an international break I do quite often catch the home nations games as they tend to be at different times to England and Ireland for quite a few years have been out on their own as being shockingly dull and you look at their players and there is no attacking talent young or old to suggest that this is likely to change under anyone.

Scotland seem to have a bit of quality coming through across the side although are also lacking up front hence their desperate attempts to sign up Che Adams and Wales are established now although reliant on 2 players whose powers are beginning to wane.

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its incredible how poor their group of players is, due to the boredom of an international break I do quite often catch the home nations games as they tend to be at different times to England and Ireland for quite a few years have been out on their own as being shockingly dull and you look at their players and there is no attacking talent young or old to suggest that this is likely to change under anyone.

Scotland seem to have a bit of quality coming through across the side although are also lacking up front hence their desperate attempts to sign up Che Adams and Wales are established now although reliant on 2 players whose powers are beginning to wane.

I had a look at the Ireland squad. It is not up to much. They must be struggling if Duffy still gets a look in.

I'd like to know what our Irish members think of the FAI. They have been blamed for the majority of the ills the national team is suffering through. 

Wales need to get Giggs's situation sorted out. I have no idea when his court date is but it looks like the Wales bosses won't make a decision until after that.