BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Such a drab first half, I have to say our central midfield area is a major concern and possibly a big reason why our favourites for the Euros tag is a little premature, the likes of Kalvin Phillips and Declan Rice are ok, they are functional but little more, better teams will dominate the midfield against us.

Mount is a weird one, he is a good player but there should be some serious consideration about playing him deeper, question is does he have the discipline to play in a 2? He is better than the aforementioned players in that position, in the final third he is not at the same level for me as Foden, Grealish, even Maddison and we need 2 ideally from Sterling, Sancho, Rashford and Saka to run in behind Kane.

The team isnt balanced right either, Kane needs players running in behind and we dont have enough of that.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Such a drab first half, I have to say our central midfield area is a major concern and possibly a big reason why our favourites for the Euros tag is a little premature

Why are England favourites and who made them favourites?

We've reached one (and won) major final in our entire history.

England will and always will be favourites to fail

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Semi finals and final are at Wembley and all group games are there for us which help the odds but we have to get to the semi finals first to have it matter where they are.

5 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Semi finals and final are at Wembley and all group games are there for us which help the odds but we have to get to the semi finals first to have it matter where they are.

Didn't do us much good at Euro 96 - another one we "should" have won but screwed up again

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Cos we have a talent squad..

Looking at the Major countries who should be favourite then?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Mount is a weird one, he is a good player but there should be some serious consideration about playing him deeper, question is does he have the discipline to play in a 2? He is better than the aforementioned players in that position, in the final third he is not at the same level for me as Foden, Grealish, even Maddison and we need 2 ideally from Sterling, Sancho, Rashford and Saka to run in behind Kane.

Coming around to my way of thinking about Mount playing the deeper midfield role with Rice. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Coming around to my way of thinking about Mount playing the deeper midfield role with Rice. 

Not sure he has the discipline though, nor would it be playing to his strengths.

Unfortunately I think the centre of midfield is a real problem position, and one that will be part of the reason why as much as there is reason for optimism and some good players, we wont win the Euros.

Struggling to look past France personally, an embarrassment of riches.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not sure he has the discipline though, nor would it be playing to his strengths.

Unfortunately I think the centre of midfield is a real problem position, and one that will be part of the reason why as much as there is reason for optimism and some good players, we wont win the Euros.

Struggling to look past France personally, an embarrassment of riches.

Mount can play there and could be discipline in there. 

I really dont think Centre midfield is a problem. Against the major nations Rice and Philips will play. Right way probably allowing Mount, Foden and Sterling behind Kane  

I dont see France as Favourite at all. Probably Belgium. But the Euros will be wide open especially with the pandemic around in mainland Europe. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

• Moderation Lead
18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

To be fair, I don’t think I’ve seen you suggest that. I’ve seen you suggest Mount ahead of Maddison, Grealish or Foden, which I don’t agree with at all, but that’s up to you obviously.

I feel like I mention this too often, but two defensive midfielders is overly negative.

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mount can play there and could be discipline in there. 

I really dont think Centre midfield is a problem. Against the major nations Rice and Philips will play. Right way probably allowing Mount, Foden and Sterling behind Kane  

I dont see France as Favourite at all. Probably Belgium. But the Euros will be wide open especially with the pandemic around in mainland Europe. 

Do you think Kalvin Phillips and Declan Rice have the quality against the likes of France, Belgium etc? Jordan Henderson is proven as better than them both but is an injury doubt.

If that is the team, theres no real threat in behind when Kane drops off. Needs more pace, in my opinion from Sancho but Saka and Rashford are also alternatives.

11 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

To be fair, I don’t think I’ve seen you suggest that. I’ve seen you suggest Mount ahead of Maddison, Grealish or Foden, which I don’t agree with at all, but that’s up to you obviously.

I feel like I mention this too often, but two defensive midfielders is overly negative.

Here I suggested playing 4-3-3 with Foden, Rice and Mount in midfield 3

https://www.brfcs.com/forums/topic/32147-premier-league-stuff/?do=findComment&comment=2183727

• Moderation Lead
9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here I suggested playing 4-3-3 with Foden, Rice and Mount in midfield 3

https://www.brfcs.com/forums/topic/32147-premier-league-stuff/?do=findComment&comment=2183727

Right, but that’s not the exact same as Mount playing further back....

Anyhow, I would actually not mind that, anything bar the two sitting midfielders. If they were more box to box, it wouldn’t be so bad, but they aren’t really attacking at all!

• Like 1