BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you think Kalvin Phillips and Declan Rice have the quality against the likes of France, Belgium etc? Jordan Henderson is proven as better than them both but is an injury doubt.

If that is the team, theres no real threat in behind when Kane drops off. Needs more pace, in my opinion from Sancho but Saka and Rashford are also alternatives.

Henderson wont be fit so its looks like Rice and Phillips. Until they play against them we wont know.

Sterling and Foden can run in behind like they do for City..

Will Saka, Rashford and Sancho be fit by then?

In fact I would suggest that whilst our attacking talent will ensure that we get through the group comfortably I would suggest, especially with the new format, the averageness of a midfield with Rice and Phillips in it would not stand out even in the group. Croatia with Modric, Brozovic, Kovacic etc will certainly dominate in there whilst even Scotland and Czech Republic have midfielders like McGinn, McTominay and Soucek who are probably just as good as those 2. We need Henderson fit really.

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I feel like I mention this too often, but two defensive midfielders is overly negative.

I think Southgates decided safety first is the best option. Just don't concede and with the attacking players we have we will always have a chance.

He's shown in recent games against big teams like Belgium he will not only play two defensive midfielders but also 3 at the back to boot. So very conservative.

I reckon we will probably play 2 or 3 different formations during the euros. Southgate fancies himself as a bit of a Bielsa who can switch things up.

I don't mind it personally, he's trying a few different things with a focus on defensive stability and he's bringing a lot of new players through who are performing well. Reckon he gets unfair stick. 

Poland will be a better measure as they will try and come out a bit more unlike Albania.

In the last analysis I don't think any manager could get this group of players to reliably beat Belgium or France, we just don't have the same experience and quality (yet). With the players he's got he's done pretty well.

Edited by joey_big_nose

I thought Declan Rice was superb yesterday.  He was disciplined.  Used the ball really well. Covered the back 4. Hes turning into a top player.  Kalvin Phillips is out of his depth im afraid.  Mount is becoming world class.  When sancho grealish rashford saka come back we will have one hell of a team. Not many countries have the depth of kane rashford mount saka sancho sterling dcl grealish foden as attacking options.  Shaw and chilwell are excellent leftbacks trippier james trent at right back.  I think our centreback options are decent. Just that central midfielder.  Someone more creative alongside Rice.  Alot of the big nations are overrated.  Spain look mediocre.  Portugal flatter to deceive.  Belgium look ordinary right now. Germany are struggling.  Even France look off colour.  I would say the euros are a realistic possibility 

Edited by roverandout

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

It isn't. It's average, with an average manager

I've been watching England for 60 years. England always fail

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/aug/09/why-england-lose-simon-kuper

We over-achieved in 1966, apart from that we have more or less reached our capabilities. Perhaps what has failed to be reached, are your expectations.  

5 hours ago, roverandout said:

No it isn't.  Its a very strong squad.  Possibly the strongest we've had in years

So was the golden generation, apparently. I agree we have a good squad but we always do. Its never good enough to win and we're usually disappointed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

So was the golden generation, apparently. I agree we have a good squad but we always do. Its never good enough to win and we're usually disappointed. 

Yes the previous golden generation was sidetracked by club allegiance.  This group don't seem to have that.  We are more than good enough to win something.  Outside of France its anyone's between England Portugal Belgium.  I don't see Italy being good enough.  Germany don't have enough depth.  Spain are pretty average right now.  Holland lack in so many areas. I wouldn’t swap our attacking options for ANYONE.  I think this euro might be a bit too early but semi final is definitely realistic 

26 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Yes the previous golden generation was sidetracked by club allegiance.  This group don't seem to have that.  We are more than good enough to win something.  Outside of France its anyone's between England Portugal Belgium.  I don't see Italy being good enough.  Germany don't have enough depth.  Spain are pretty average right now.  Holland lack in so many areas. I wouldn’t swap our attacking options for ANYONE.  I think this euro might be a bit too early but semi final is definitely realistic 

France should have won it last time and didn't. If they have a weakness it's at goalkeeper. 

England have talent, can Southgate best out of them?

• Like 1

Who do we pick as keeper?  Poor Pope had nothing to do for the last two games.

I'd have Pickford simply for his better footwork. But is Pope better for saves against the stronger sides? I really don't know.

27 minutes ago, bazza said:

Who do we pick as keeper?  Poor Pope had nothing to do for the last two games.

I'd have Pickford simply for his better footwork. But is Pope better for saves against the stronger sides? I really don't know.

Pick Pickford gets too excited for me...pope is my preferred keeper

• Moderation Lead

I agree that Pope is a better ‘keeper, Pickford seems to make howlers for days at club level. 
I honestly think though, as I don’t immediately recall him messing up for England (happy to be corrected if my memory is letting me down), Southgate will stick with him....

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I agree that Pope is a better ‘keeper, Pickford seems to make howlers for days at club level. 
I honestly think though, as I don’t immediately recall him messing up for England (happy to be corrected if my memory is letting me down), Southgate will stick with him....

Hes never let England down 

defensively england are very poor and will always be caught out when playing against the best,our defensive capability ended with rio,terry,cole and neville,there has`nt been an england defender iv`e trusted since the the above all retired,kyle walker especially should`nt be anywhere near the national side,he`s a liabilty who can`t work out when to  go forward or stay back

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roverandout said:

It would be a brave fan who would be confident of an England win if we play Spain, Italy, Germany, Netherlands (all sides you say we are definitely better than). I reckon we'd be roughly 50/50 against all of those to be honest and Portugal also. They've all got good players, we have a weak defence. France and Belgium would definitely expect to beat us.

In terms of expectation we should maybe expect to beat everyone not mentioned above (but even then I wouldn't be that confident against the likes of Croatia and Denmark who have very good teams) but after that all bets are off for me.

Should be a really good tournament in terms of competitive games.

• Like 2

Portugal at 9/1 are seemingly not a bad bet to retain the trophy. They have Dias and Cancelo performing brilliantly at Man City, they have some real quality in midfield with Bruno Fernandes, Bernardo Silva and Ruben Neves in midfield, and they have goals in them obviously with the admittedly aging Ronaldo but also with Diogo Jota and Andre Silva. Plus they have experience that has been there and done it in Patricio, Pepe, Moutinho etc.

Belgium will always be one of the favourites and tend to get the better of us but like with us a bit question mark comes in the dug out.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, roverandout said:

never write the germans off

• Like 1

"This tournament has come too early for this squad" has been said before every tournament since 2014 then two years later some players have dropped off and some more talent has emerged. 

So I'm hoping that only having a 1 year gap between euros and World Cup may give us half a chance of keeping the same group of players together and firing. 

• Like 2