BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England U21's struggles in their championship has surprised me - as someone who doesn't really follow that team but noticed that they seemed to have a strong squad. I wonder to what extent it is a case of other teams have superior (though, less hyped) players and England under-performing?

Aside from the striking position, where Nketiah has not been prolific at club level, though in qualifying, he has scored a lot, it seemed as if England had a team full of proven club experience. That said, I don't know about the standard of their opposition.

Edited by riverholmes

1 minute ago, riverholmes said:

England U21's struggles in their championship has surprised me - as someone who doesn't really follow that team but noticed that they seemed to have a strong squad. I wonder to what extent it is a case of other teams have superior (though, less hyped) players and England under-performing?

Too many think they’ve got it made already. They’re on easy street. Having a decent coach would help though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

Aside from the striking position, where Nketiah has not been prolific at club level, though in qualifying, he has scored a lot, it seemed as if England had a team full of proven club experience. That said, I don't know about the standard of their opposition.

Down to boothroyd completely.  Hes like the under 21 version of Mowbray.  Clueless.  Its an outstanding squad

• Like 1

14 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

defensively england are very poor and will always be caught out when playing against the best,our defensive capability ended with rio,terry,cole and neville,there has`nt been an england defender iv`e trusted since the the above all retired,kyle walker especially should`nt be anywhere near the national side,he`s a liabilty who can`t work out when to  go forward or stay back

Stones is back to his best. Walker is still an able defender but should be at fullback.  I see a new breed of young defenders coming through.  Konsa tomori gomez gheui White.  

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

One credible defence is a lot of their best players are now in the first team - TAA, Rice, Saka, Sancho, Bellingham, Mount.

Not sure is that's the same elsewhere in Europe or we are particularly aggressive at promoting players.

It seems when the players get a senior cap they aren't asked to step down again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Too many think they’ve got it made already. They’re on easy street. Having a decent coach would help though.

Reading in The Times today that Boothroyd is more worried about being liked than pushing the players. Obviously not an issue when they stroll through qualifiers, but they get repeatedly shown up in tournaments. 

I presume he’ll be on his bike by the weekend...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Does anyone actually get excited when Sterling is on the ball? 

Well he's beaten his man half a dozen times and won a penalty so he's not doing too badly...

But yes final ball has been poor. If he'd been better we would have scored another one or two.

• Like 2

Running with the ball / running at someone he's class but I have no expectation that he'll do anything with it. He either over thinks and holds onto it far too long or fluffs a shot or cross. 

Few years  off yet but when his pace goes he's finished 

• Like 1