BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Qualifying is a much of a muchness really, teams click when the tournament gets going. England regularly fly through qualifying but it means very little as long as you get there which barring occasional exceptions they all do.

Holland and Italy you mention and I agree we may fancy our chances against (both have better midfields mind you) but they are outsiders too. Belgium are one of the favourites although like us they are handicapped by a poor manager. France and Portugal stand out id say and we are likely going to face on in the first knockout round.

Agree

• Like 1

I think the next world cup will be our chance.  Foden rice saka mount Greenwood james sancho Bellingham rashford trent etc will be that much more experienced.  Plus we will have players like kane grealish maddison Shaw chilwell maguire gomez dcl to call on. Its an incredibly talented squad 

A bit like Rovers, this generation are very much mid-table, will never challenge for the main prize because the odds are stacked against us.

Its ok to watch, but my god we're crying out for a Terry Butcher or Stuart Pierce at club and international level. 

onwards and sideways....

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

I think the next world cup will be our chance.  Foden rice saka mount Greenwood james sancho Bellingham rashford trent etc will be that much more experienced.  Plus we will have players like kane grealish maddison Shaw chilwell maguire gomez dcl to call on. Its an incredibly talented squad 

Need a quality keeper, and a couple of really good centrebacks, then we will be in with a shout.

Till we get that sorted we will always have a glass jaw.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Boothroyd doing his best TM buck passing impression.

‘U21’s is an impossible job’

’Not about results’

’I produce players for Gareth, like Phil Foden’ (must be news to Pep and the City academy, that).

So true....delusional! Boothroyd to England is what Mowbray is to the Rovers 

• Like 1

I think that last night's England team was close to Southgate's starting 11. Potentially Pickford for Pope. Henderson (if fit) for Phillips. I like Grealish for Mount, but Mount has been playing very well. 

The game should have been out of sight at half time. England were far too good for Poland. Rice was very good. Sterling was purposeful yet wasteful. Having Kane up front is a real asset. He does it all very well.

I also reckon that Stones's cock up was a blessing in disguise. It forced England to pick up the place as there was something on the line and were actually challenged. Stones takes the blame for the mistake but Pope didn't help him with an iffy pass.

No matter who starts in June there will be some excellent attacking options. Kane up top and any of Rashford, Sancho, Sterling, Saka, Grealish, Foden, Mount, Calvert-Lewin, and even TAA and Maddison if they make the squad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought we missed Grealish tonight. I don’t like this way of playing were right footed players ( Stirling ) play on the left and left footed players ( Foden ) play on the right. Foden had a great chance second half and the goalie could have thrown his cap on his right footed shot

Yes - Grealish would have been different. Also Sancho could have provided some genuine width which we lacked.

What I found very odd is we have a truly outstanding aerial player in Calvert-Lewin and the game was begging for crosses to go in as Poland were so deep. But he came on close to the 90th minute. We had Kane messing around near the half way line, no one in the box, it was odd considering that option.

I think we are going to need to be more direct if teams sit deep with 5 strung across the back. C-L should be a big player for us when we need to change up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes - Grealish would have been different. Also Sancho could have provided some genuine width which we lacked.

What I found very odd is we have a truly outstanding aerial player in Calvert-Lewin and the game was begging for crosses to go in as Poland were so deep. But he came on close to the 90th minute. We had Kane messing around near the half way line, no one in the box, it was odd considering that option.

I think we are going to need to be more direct if teams sit deep with 5 strung across the back. C-L should be a big player for us when we need to change up.

Spot on this. Southgate got away with it in the end, but the game was crying out for this change, and possibly one or two others as well, about ten minutes after it had gone to 1-1.

• Like 2

Lingard isn't fit to lace grealish's boots. It would be like Mowbray dropping elliot for (plethora of other rovers players). Can't see it myself the backlash that Southgate would face would be huge.  The fact that lingard played 10 minutes of football after the san marino game speaks volumes.  Grealish is without doubt our most gifted player.  It isn't our talent that could fail this summer its the manager 

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 22:40, Gav said:

A bit like Rovers, this generation are very much mid-table, will never challenge for the main prize because the odds are stacked against us.

Its ok to watch, but my god we're crying out for a Terry Butcher or Stuart Pierce at club and international level. 

onwards and sideways....

So a team containing players like grealish foden sancho sterling kane saka rashford maddison trent Shaw chilwell James dcl rice etc are midtable? These all play regularly for champions league clubs or champions league qualification contenders. England would be a top 4 club.  Not quite a man city or Liverpool more a Leicester.  A team that gets better every season.  France are a man city. Portugal a Chelsea or man utd. Belgium probably Liverpool.  The likes of Germany Spain possibly a spurs 

Edited by roverandout

• 4 weeks later...

I thought that this Kyle Walker article was pretty decent; Manchester City’s Kyle Walker makes his case for greatness against PSG | Manchester City | The Guardian

I think Southgate has him and Stones in his back 4 along with Maguire and Chilwell. All 4 are still in Europe. Maybe all of them will play in finals too.

I would personally have Shaw miles ahead of Chilwell, hes been superb all season. Walker does seem to be nailing down a place on the other side though.

I hope that having 3 extra allowed squad members will reduce the chances of a Sancho or Grealish being left behind, although both have had injuries or are currently injured.

I also hope that Rashford doesnt start the tournament in the team but I think he will, maybe Foden will be a sub which would be really poor.

20 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Sancho, foden, sterling, kane has a lot of potential for England this summer. I'm betting on your immortal enemies, the French 🇫🇷

Bellingham also looks like a player who could burst onto the scene and make a huge difference for England. And Rice has come on hugely in the last year.

We're starting to look really strong in every position except centre back and GK. If we can find one top CB and one top GK we will maybe hope to get on France and Belgiums level.

(As an aside I don't think we've ever really had a football rivalry with the French? Not sure why? Probs just never really drawn them at tournaments. I can't ever think of us playing them in a knockout round? Scotland, Germany and Argentina are our rivals. France don't come anywhere near those 3).

• Like 3

I think it's a shame that Henderson hasn't played more this year, he had a good season last year, but doesn't play enough at United. A full season again as a No. 1 and he may have developed further and could have perhaps been Englands first choice. CB wise Stones and Maguire just aren't quite the elite of the elite and will face some serious forwards in the euros. Even the likes of Poland and Norway have strikers of significant standing. Englands strengths lie in their attacking players and would do well to play in that manner, regardless of opposition. I'd be keen for them to play with 2 sitters in  front of stones and maguire, let Arnold and Shaw bomb forward and just let the 4 create havoc. At bit like Venables did, let your best players play their way and hope...... A number of your players are in major comps final stages, winning it is far from impossible.

By immortal enemies, I meant in the grand scheme of everything, not just football. I'm still betting on France, they always somehow seem to do well in this event and they have Mbappe 👍

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/05/2021 at 19:15, joey_big_nose said:

Bellingham also looks like a player who could burst onto the scene and make a huge difference for England. And Rice has come on hugely in the last year.

We're starting to look really strong in every position except centre back and GK. If we can find one top CB and one top GK we will maybe hope to get on France and Belgiums level.

(As an aside I don't think we've ever really had a football rivalry with the French? Not sure why? Probs just never really drawn them at tournaments. I can't ever think of us playing them in a knockout round? Scotland, Germany and Argentina are our rivals. France don't come anywhere near those 3).

I think its down to the English and French armies battling over the centuries.  There's always been a connection 

Southgate names his squad on Tuesday.  Im hoping the rumours aren't true about trent and sancho being left out.  Be madness to leave 2 of the best young players in Europe at home . I personally think he will opt for trippier walker and James. 3 pretty impressive options.  Sancho has to go though.  Hes bee  brilliant for dortmund over the last few months. Grealish should be a shoe-in. Foden mount kane rashford sterling too should be there. We have some insane attacking options and real strength at fullback.  I would take Bellingham because he has talent but also a great temperament.  Rice has been impressive this season.  I would opt for tomori as backup to Stones and Maguire.  Hes been immense for Milan.  I would also take Greenwood and saka as wildcards

16 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Southgate names his squad on Tuesday.  Im hoping the rumours aren't true about trent and sancho being left out.  Be madness to leave 2 of the best young players in Europe at home . I personally think he will opt for trippier walker and James. 3 pretty impressive options.  Sancho has to go though.  Hes bee  brilliant for dortmund over the last few months. Grealish should be a shoe-in. Foden mount kane rashford sterling too should be there. We have some insane attacking options and real strength at fullback.  I would take Bellingham because he has talent but also a great temperament.  Rice has been impressive this season.  I would opt for tomori as backup to Stones and Maguire.  Hes been immense for Milan.  I would also take Greenwood and saka as wildcards

A richness of talent but unfortunatelly a poor choker of a manager. Good pick for an England manager past Mercer (caretaker, I think)

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Whilst I believe that Maddison and Grealish possess more talent than Mount, the way Mount has been playing, he has made himself indispensable. Unfortunately for Maddison and Grealish they’ve both been injured and way out of form. 
Foden absolutely has to start too. 
At right back, in reality, we have five full backs that have a case for being selected.

(Trippier, Walker, Alexander-Arnold, James and Wan-Bissaka). They’ve all got strong cases for selection. If we could somehow combine the defence of AWB and the attacking of TAA, we would probably have the best right back to ever walk the earth though....

• Like 4