BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Southgate names his squad on Tuesday.  Im hoping the rumours aren't true about trent and sancho being left out.  Be madness to leave 2 of the best young players in Europe at home . I personally think he will opt for trippier walker and James. 3 pretty impressive options.  Sancho has to go though.  Hes bee  brilliant for dortmund over the last few months. Grealish should be a shoe-in. Foden mount kane rashford sterling too should be there. We have some insane attacking options and real strength at fullback.  I would take Bellingham because he has talent but also a great temperament.  Rice has been impressive this season.  I would opt for tomori as backup to Stones and Maguire.  Hes been immense for Milan.  I would also take Greenwood and saka as wildcards

The strength in depth at right back is ridiculous, but I'm with you in wanting TAA in the squad. Harsh on James who is a very good player, but I'd have Walker starting and then I'd rather have Alexander-Arnold as a different option in reserve. 

Loving the options we have going forward. Just a shame that it hasn't coincided with a vintage group of defenders (right back aside). Maguire and Stones are good on their day, but they're obviously a bit accident prone there's not much behind them. Far cry from a few years ago when players like Woodgate struggled to even get into squads.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

The strength in depth at right back is ridiculous, but I'm with you in wanting TAA in the squad. Harsh on James who is a very good player, but I'd have Walker starting and then I'd rather have Alexander-Arnold as a different option in reserve. 

Loving the options we have going forward. Just a shame that it hasn't coincided with a vintage group of defenders (right back aside). Maguire and Stones are good on their day, but they're obviously a bit accident prone there's not much behind them. Far cry from a few years ago when players like Woodgate struggled to even get into squads.

Even ledley King who was a top defender couldn't get in. You're right would love a Terry or Ferdinand.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Whilst I believe that Maddison and Grealish possess more talent than Mount, the way Mount has been playing, he has made himself indispensable. Unfortunately for Maddison and Grealish they’ve both been injured and way out of form. 
Foden absolutely has to start too. 
At right back, in reality, we have five full backs that have a case for being selected.

(Trippier, Walker, Alexander-Arnold, James and Wan-Bissaka). They’ve all got strong cases for selection. If we could somehow combine the defence of AWB and the attacking of TAA, we would probably have the best right back to ever walk the earth though....

I think reece james isn't far off that. Great crosser of the ball. Also really good at one on one defending 

10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Even ledley King who was a top defender couldn't get in. You're right would love a Terry or Ferdinand.  

I think either of those (or a Sol Campbell) and I'd suddenly feel extremely bullish about our chances. Henderson's lack of fitness is a bit of a worry too, but all of a sudden we have a group of attacking players that other countries will genuinely fear.

• Like 1

Don't think Grealish will make it due to injury. Cant see how Sancho will be left out. Surely must be going.

Starting team for me. Looking back through our recent games it looks like we will play 433 against most teams but 343 against the top sides.

Pickford

Walker.  Stones.   McGuire.   Chilwell

Mount.    Rice.   Foden.

Stirling.   Kane.   Rashford

Very attacking but thats where our strength lies. In reality Southgate will probably drop one of the attackers and play an extra DM - Henderson or Phillips.

Pickford

Walker.  Stones.   McGuire. 

James.      Rice.     Mount.      Chillwell

Stirling.    Kane.   Foden.

Again in reality an attacker will probably be dropped by Southgate and an extra DM will be played alongside Rice....

I personally can't see the point in leaving better players on the bench to play more defenders / defensive midfielders. But Southgate has shown that's where his head is at.

Reckon England will do well until we play France or Belgium then we go out. Just about fancy us to shade it against anyone else, but will be tight against Portugal, Spain, Italy, Germany. All very similar quality.

So worth saying a couple of the smaller sides look really good - Denmark and Norway are stacked with talent. Croatia always very good too.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

If only we could transfer in international football.I'd transfer one of our right backs for one of France's Centre Halfs,they have about 8 that are better than anything we have.

Agree but I would rather have stones than kimpembe or lenglet. Kimpembe is a bomb scare and lenglet has been poor this season 

11 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Don't think Grealish will make it due to injury. Cant see how Sancho will be left out. Surely must be going.

Starting team for me. Looking back through our recent games it looks like we will play 433 against most teams but 343 against the top sides.

Pickford

Mount.    Rice.   Foden.

Very attacking but thats where our strength lies. In reality Southgate will probably drop one of the attackers and play an extra DM - Henderson or Phillips.

Pickford

Again in reality an attacker will probably be dropped by Southgate and an extra DM will be played alongside Rice....

I personally can't see the point in leaving better players on the bench to play more defenders / defensive midfielders. But Southgate has shown that's where his head is at.

Reckon England will do well until we play France or Belgium then we go out. Just about fancy us to shade it against anyone else, but will be tight against Portugal, Spain, Italy, Germany. All very similar quality.

So worth saying a couple of the smaller sides look really good - Denmark and Norway are stacked with talent. Croatia always very good too.

Norway aren't there. Turkey look a threat.  As for grealish I think he's proven his fitness.  I would be amazed if he doesn't go especially with a 26 man squad 

15 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Norway aren't there. Turkey look a threat.  As for grealish I think he's proven his fitness.  I would be amazed if he doesn't go especially with a 26 man squad 

Didn't realise Norway hadn't made it. Wow that's bad given they have Haarland and a few other good players and so many teams are at the tournament. 

Had a look through Turkey's results and it's a mixed bag. Lost a few against teams they should beat like Hungary but some good results against France and Italy. See what you mean.

• Like 1

Shaping up to be the best squad we’ve taken to a tournament since the 2004/2006 era. Sadly I think there’s an absolute dud in the managers seat. Plus with tournament pressure and England’s capacity to bottle games against any half way decent opposition I’m guessing this’ll play out exactly the same way as every single tournament in my lifetime.

If memory serves if we win our group we’re due to play France or Germany or Portugal in the first knockout round. At which point I fear it’s the end of the line even though on paper I think should beat Germany or Portugal 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Shaping up to be the best squad we’ve taken to a tournament since the 2004/2006 era. Sadly I think there’s an absolute dud in the managers seat. Plus with tournament pressure and England’s capacity to bottle games against any half way decent opposition I’m guessing this’ll play out exactly the same way as every single tournament in my lifetime.

If memory serves if we win our group we’re due to play France or Germany or Portugal in the first knockout round. At which point I fear it’s the end of the line even though on paper I think should beat Germany or Portugal 

Agree. If u look at Portugal's defensive options.  Of course dias is world class but then they only have a 37 year old and a 39 year old as cover. Any team with pace will have them on toast. We have plenty of pace. Germany lack any real pace at the back. As long as we avoid France we can get to a semi final 

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Whilst I believe that Maddison and Grealish possess more talent than Mount, the way Mount has been playing, he has made himself indispensable. Unfortunately for Maddison and Grealish they’ve both been injured and way out of form. 
Foden absolutely has to start too. 
At right back, in reality, we have five full backs that have a case for being selected.

(Trippier, Walker, Alexander-Arnold, James and Wan-Bissaka). They’ve all got strong cases for selection. If we could somehow combine the defence of AWB and the attacking of TAA, we would probably have the best right back to ever walk the earth though....

Mount will be key player for England along Foden, Sterling and Kane in a front 4. 

Mount's form this season has made him key player for us now

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Pickford

Mount.    Rice.   Foden.

Pickford

It's hard to argue with your assessment. Although I think that Rice will get run ragged if Mount and Foden are next to him.

Liverpool are top of the form table over the last 10 games, TAA has benefitted from that as he has been outstanding. It would be a shame if he's left out. Is Henderson fit? He's not played in months. I've always liked Gomez and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Both of them are going to miss out on another tournament due to injuries.                

I have Pickford, Walker, Stones, McGuire, Rice, Henderson (if fit), and Kane as definites.

Mount and Chilwell as probables.*

Then pick 2 from Rashford, Sterling, and Foden.

*Foden or Grealish for Mount. Shaw for Chilwell as my thinking is that as Shaw plays next to Maguire for Man U they have a good understanding. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's hard to argue with your assessment. Although I think that Rice will get run ragged if Mount and Foden are next to him.

Liverpool are top of the form table over the last 10 games, TAA has benefitted from that as he has been outstanding. It would be a shame if he's left out. Is Henderson fit? He's not played in months. I've always liked Gomez and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Both of them are going to miss out on another tournament due to injuries.                

I have Pickford, Walker, Stones, McGuire, Rice, Henderson (if fit), and Kane as definites.

*Foden or Grealish for Mount. Shaw for Chilwell as my thinking is that as Shaw plays next to Maguire for Man U they have a good understanding. 

I know that Klopp said Henderson had no chance of playing at Euros, but it may well be him playing games....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Mount is a certain.  So underrated.  He doesn't have foden or grealish's ball juggling skills but his intelligence on and off the ball. He can find spaces and play the killer pass 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Pickford 

Agreed. Any debate was around Pope or Pickford. Now Pope is out the debate is over. I've not read anything lately about Pickford so I assume that he has been solid.

Southgate names his squad tomorrow. The BBC have put together this nifty summary; England Euro 2020 squad: Gareth Southgate to pick 26-man squad - choose your own - BBC Sport.

This was the squad for the games in March;

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Sam Johnstone (West Bromwich Albion), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jesse Lingard (West Ham United, loan from Manchester United), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds United), Declan Rice (West Ham United), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton),   Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)

I don't see it changing much. 

Pickford in for Pope.

Jordan Henderson in (he was a sub for Liverpool yesterday) for Ward-Prowse. 

Grealish for Saka or Watkins.

Does TAA get in ahead of La Liga winning Tripper or wing back suited Reece James?

• Like 1

On 22/05/2021 at 16:03, matt83 said:

Not for mine. The spine is v weak. Dodgy keeper, poor CBs and no standout CMs.

3 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Agreed. Any debate was around Pope or Pickford. Now Pope is out the debate is over. I've not read anything lately about Pickford so I assume that he has been solid.

Southgate names his squad tomorrow. The BBC have put together this nifty summary; England Euro 2020 squad: Gareth Southgate to pick 26-man squad - choose your own - BBC Sport.

This was the squad for the games in March;

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Sam Johnstone (West Bromwich Albion), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jesse Lingard (West Ham United, loan from Manchester United), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds United), Declan Rice (West Ham United), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton),   Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa)

I don't see it changing much. 

Pickford in for Pope.

Jordan Henderson in (he was a sub for Liverpool yesterday) for Ward-Prowse. 

Grealish for Saka or Watkins.

Does TAA get in ahead of La Liga winning Tripper or wing back suited Reece James?

Trippier is quality but I would go for reece james as he's solid defensively and also great attacking wise

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Not for mine. The spine is v weak. Dodgy keeper, poor CBs and no standout CMs.

I wouldn’t call stones poor. Hes been one of city's best players this season.  Yes he has dias alongside him but I've seen him in games where he's outshone dias. Man utd have clearly missed Maguires presence.  Pickford has never been dodgy for England and has had an excellent second half of the season for Everton.  Declan rice has been superb for West ham this season  and impressed for England lately Bellingham is a standout midfielder.  Henderson is a key player for Liverpool.  Jwp has been named Southampton's player of the season.  Phillips is capable of playing key passes. I certainly wouldn't rate Portugal's spine as better. Aside of dias, they have 2 37 year old defenders who are slow. Their central midfield lacks a playmaker. Neves has been poor for wolves. Fernandes is an attacking midfielder.  We also have players like tomori White konsa to come through 

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 1