BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Tony Kroos would like a word. He abused Alexander-Armstrong in the Champions League. 

I'd take Wan-Bissaka over any of the above four, but I don't fill out a waistcoat quite like Southgate does, so what do I know?

TAA had a bad few months. That Real game and Southgate dropping him was his nadir. Since then he's knuckled down and is now performing very well. 

I'd have him playing but won't gripe if either Walker or Tripper get the nod. 

Wan-Bissaka is at least 5th choice. James Justin may even be ahead of him. He puts in a good sliding tackle but is not  better than the others.

15 hours ago, roverandout said:

Me too. I would start foden kane sancho. Hes been run into the ground by ogs. Still carrying an injury 

He mentioned as much in his after match comments last night. His foot and shoulder are giving him grief. Fernandes looked gone too. Hopefully he doesn't have anything left in the tank for Portugal.

Another aspect that has plagued England teams is that they get to a major tournament and the players are knackered from playing too much. This doesn't look to be the case this time. Squad rotation and injuries have helped.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I'm fairly disappointed with this tbh.

I thought the one thing Southgate shouted about when he got the gig was that it would all be about form, not just the usual suspects. 

I think the exact opposite of the above tweet. In 2021, Jesse has been one of the best performing English midfielders. (I'd probably put him 3rd behind Foden + Mount). Why shouldn't that earn him a place in the tournament. 

And if we end up chasing a game with 20 mins to go, and we all look at the bench for someone to come on and change the game, and fail to see viable options, I'm going to be extremely pissed off. I reckon he'd be perfect for such an occasion. 

57 minutes ago, Silas said:

I thought the one thing Southgate shouted about when he got the gig was that it would all be about form, not just the usual suspects. 

I think the exact opposite of the above tweet. In 2021, Jesse has been one of the best performing English midfielders. (I'd probably put him 3rd behind Foden + Mount). Why shouldn't that earn him a place in the tournament. 

And if we end up chasing a game with 20 mins to go, and we all look at the bench for someone to come on and change the game, and fail to see viable options, I'm going to be extremely pissed off. I reckon he'd be perfect for such an occasion. 

I disagree with this, I would actually say that our biggest strength is our surplus of attacking options. Say we go with Kane, Mount, Foden and Sterling which I expect although I wouldn't go with the latter. If we was struggling, we could make a triple sub of Sancho, Grealish and Rashford, thats a hell of a change and I dont think Lingard would come on before any of those.

I wouldn't begrudge lingard going but I think I agree that he won't leave a hole in the squad.

Sounds like TAA could miss out which is a big call. I understand him not being first choice but to leave him out the squad is massive. He can offer something different than the others and he's got a he'll of a ball on him. Imagine Kane getting on the end of some of his crosses? 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

is he better than Reece James or Kieran Tripper?

Different. Defensively arguably not but in an attacking sense, definitely. He's certainly someone I would look to bring on if we were struggling to break a team down. Or if we were trying to see a game out bring him on instead of a winger so we have someone who can offer and attacking threat whilst also having a defensive mind.

It's a 26 man squad this time round rather than 23. I think he is worthy of one of those three extra spots just cos he offers something a lot different to the others. 

2 hours ago, Silas said:

Grealish sancho Watkins would be excellent options off the bench

13 minutes ago, Meesh said:

100% agreed.

Looking back at the 2018 World Cup, Lingard was really a bright spark in the team. As an England supporters, I was gutted to see him fizzle out over the last few seasons at United.

He's been reinvigorated at West Ham and totally deserves to be in the squad for the Euros. Lingard ahead of Grealish for me.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttt????? No chance 

5 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Different. Defensively arguably not but in an attacking sense, definitely. He's certainly someone I would look to bring on if we were struggling to break a team down. Or if we were trying to see a game out bring him on instead of a winger so we have someone who can offer and attacking threat whilst also having a defensive mind.

It's a 26 man squad this time round rather than 23. I think he is worthy of one of those three extra spots just cos he offers something a lot different to the others. 

James crossing ability is hugely underrated.  He can cross the ball as well as anyone.  Just hasn't had the chance lately because hes being used more defensively.  He has everything in his locker to be the best rightback in Europe in a couple of years

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

why do we need 3 right backs for? 

Walker will get in cos he can cover right back and centre back spots where TAA can't. On form over the season leaving TAA out is the right decision

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I disagree with this, .......... a triple sub of Sancho, Grealish and Rashford, thats a hell of a change and I dont think Lingard would come on before any of those.

10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Grealish sancho Watkins would be excellent options off the bench

Yeah, Grealish all day long over Lingard. Assuming he's over the injury. 

I'm just not convinced by Sancho in an England shirt, although I always caveat that with I haven't seen much of him in Bundesliga. 

Forgot about Watkins, he's looked very good recently.

Tin hat on, but I'd have Lingard over Rashford in a heartbeat at the moment. Talk to any United fan and they'll say MR has been off it for ages. Burnt out? Carrying an injury? Distracted by off field issues? Take your pick. But he certainly isn't performing like the player he was a year or 2 ago.

Perhaps I'm just a sucker for a comeback story, but I think JL had a lot to offer us this tournament, and had earnt a place in the squad. Bit gutted for him, as it could well have been last chance saloon. Shame. 

• Like 1

It's looking like the squad will be named at 5pm UK time. 

TAA, Lingard, Ward-Prowse are said to be out.

Greenwood has pulled out due to injury.

If all is true there are 3 more to go. One will be a keeper, whom I will assume is Ramsdale. The other two? Godfrey and White?

Edit: apparently squad numbers will be listed too which with England is usually an indication of the starting 11.

Edited by speeeeeeedie

45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

is he better than Reece James or Kieran Tripper?

Over Trippier for me.

6 minutes ago, Silas said:

Yeah, Grealish all day long over Lingard. Assuming he's over the injury. 

I'm just not convinced by Sancho in an England shirt, although I always caveat that with I haven't seen much of him in Bundesliga. 

Forgot about Watkins, he's looked very good recently.

Tin hat on, but I'd have Lingard over Rashford in a heartbeat at the moment. Talk to any United fan and they'll say MR has been off it for ages. Burnt out? Carrying an injury? Distracted by off field issues? Take your pick. But he certainly isn't performing like the player he was a year or 2 ago.

Perhaps I'm just a sucker for a comeback story, but I think JL had a lot to offer us this tournament, and had earnt a place in the squad. Bit gutted for him, as it could well have been last chance saloon. Shame. 

To be fair, most bar Kane in attacking areas have only just emerged and have at most shown flashes in an England shirt, often due to a small number of caps, the likes of Grealish, Foden, Mount, Sancho but for me are all far better than Lingard.

I have always felt that Rashford is somewhat overrated, and he is in horrendous form. Its a shame that Greenwood has missed out, he had really hit some form and looked far better than Rashford, plus he is left footed. Had he been fit and only able to name 23, I would even suggest that Rashford's place could be in jeopardy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Silas said:

Bit gutted for him, as it could well have been last chance saloon. Shame

This time round there's only one season until the world cup so I think if he can get a good move in the summer he'll make it to the world cup

• Like 1

The England squad is out;

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Sam Johnstone (West Bromwich Albion), Jordan Pickford (Everton)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City) 

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds United), Declan Rice (West Ham United)

Forwards: Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

All 4 right backs made it. Lingard, Ward-Prowse, White, Godfrey, Watkins, Ramsdale, and injured Greenwood are the ones who miss out.

Southgate loves a defender. Half the squad defenders. Whilst they all had a case to be picked why on earth pick 4 right backs? madness. Just needs an injury to one CM or CF and we're lob sided for the tournament. 

I'd have taken Ward Prowse for his free kicks and corners. 

Got a bad feeling were going to see a 5 at the back formation despite our attacking talent. 

Edited by benhben

The 4 rightbacks are more than that. They can play in a number of positions.  Better to have versatility than a stagnant rigid squad of players.  I think this is our most exciting squad in 20 years. As of jwp. Hes very limited.  He doesn't have any real influence in midfield other than set peices.  Southgate is finally bringing through exciting young players and people still moan

Strange balance to the squad, Southgate has been indecisive and weak in choosing all 4 right backs simply because he can not decide who is the best. At a push, take 3.

The argument that they "can play elsewhere" is not a strong one either, all 4 are predominantly right backs. If we want one to cover midfield, it would have made sense to actually pick a central midfielder, even if it is someone like Ward Prowse who isnt necessarily great, he would be a much more useful central midfielder than Alexander Arnold/James because the position is totally different to which they play, the angles, the distances, you cant just throw one in midfield in a major tournament like that.

We look really strong at full back obviously and also in attacking midfield, the key is to play the right ones, I would say that Sterling and Rashford dont warrant places at the moment, so for me Sancho has to play to keep some pace, and then it would be Foden and Mount or Grealish. We look short in goal where none of the options inspire and at centre back where past the main 2, one of whom is injured, we look weak. Mings is very average and Coady is really underwhelming especially in a 2. We also look short in central midfield, we need Henderson to be fit as beyond him and Rice, there isnt too much. Bellingham is a refreshing choice, Phillips is ok, think we could have done with another in there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

The 4 rightbacks are more than that. They can play in a number of positions.  Better to have versatility than a stagnant rigid squad of players.  I think this is our most exciting squad in 20 years. As of jwp. Hes very limited.  He doesn't have any real influence in midfield other than set peices.  Southgate is finally bringing through exciting young players and people still moan

Its not about moaning, there is plenty to be excited about, but why take a 4th right back who "can" play in midfield or someone who can play that role competently and give us depth in an area where we look short in a tournament where we can take 3 extras. You cant play players who have played their careers at right back/right wing back and shove them in a position whereby on paper they may have some useful attributes when in practice they have little to no understanding of how to play in that position?

At the end of the day, an England squad for a major tournament is there to be constructively criticised. I am sure (with validity!) that you wouldnt tell people to "stop moaning" if they criticised a Rovers squad!

9 minutes ago, Meesh said:

Where have Alexander-Arnold, Trippier, Walker, and James played apart from right-back?

Walker has played right centreback.  James has played midfield right centreback.  Trippier has played rightback leftback wingback.  Trent has played rightback right wingback 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not about moaning, there is plenty to be excited about, but why take a 4th right back who "can" play in midfield or someone who can play that role competently and give us depth in an area where we look short in a tournament where we can take 3 extras. You cant play players who have played their careers at right back/right wing back and shove them in a position whereby on paper they may have some useful attributes when in practice they have little to no understanding of how to play in that position?

At the end of the day, an England squad for a major tournament is there to be constructively criticised. I am sure (with validity!) that you wouldnt tell people to "stop moaning" if they criticised a Rovers squad!

I agree but James has been excellent at centreback.  Hes also great going forward.  Walker was very impressive for most of the world cup games bar the semifinal 

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

I agree but James has been excellent at centreback.  Hes also great going forward.  Walker was very impressive for most of the world cup games bar the semifinal 

It would have made much more sense IMO to remove Trippier and include another CM or even a CB considering that Maguire is struggling with injury and is a doubt for the first game.

• Like 1