BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, roverandout said:

Bellingham 

Ok, I don't think he will.  But, a game away from the start and we are always in the same situation.  Waiting on injuries does he know his best team....defence looks weak as soon as a bit if pressure is put on it.

We should have our first team out now getting used to playing etc...the game on Sunday surely must be close to our starting team.

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ok, I don't think he will.  But, a game away from the start and we are always in the same situation.  Waiting on injuries does he know his best team....defence looks weak as soon as a bit if pressure is put on it.

We should have our first team out now getting used to playing etc...the game on Sunday surely must be close to our starting team.

It will be. But Romania worry me. They have nothing to play for. An injury to foden or mount and were done

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

An injury to foden or mount and were done

A little dramatic. 

I think that's what gives me hope with this squad. We aren't a 1 or 2 player team.

We don't have to do front page scans of Rooney or Beckham's metatarsal. 

It's mental remembering that if u think about it. We were pinning all our hopes on 1 player out of 11. The odds formula is horrific. 

• Like 2

The jocks are getting like the taffys now. Not so long ago they were calling themselves shite now all of a sudden they're world beaters. Im referring to the arrogance of some Scots who think its a shoe-in they will beat England.  No chance.  They drew with a very poor Dutch side badly coached by de boer.  The welsh started to believe they were the bees knees after a one off semi final achievement which was more an anomaly in their history.  Now the Scots are delusioned. I know this sounds controversial but its what I've read from alot of Scots.  England will control that game and make Scotland look average.  I would be surprised if Scotland get out the group 

• Like 1

Reckon the most interesting thing is Bellingham could get thrust in as a regular starter which is extraordinary turn up for 17 year old lad. Don't think we've ever seen that in a central midfield? Some strikers, wingers, full backs have started early. But centre mid and centre back are usually older heads. Gerrard, Rice etc all didn't get caps till they were 20.

Bellingham totally looks the part though. Rice & Bellingham look a really fantastic all round pairing, and while the likes of Belgium and France have better at the moment not many other sides do. And so young to grow also.

Also Saka looks very potent and a superb understudy for Sterling. Being able to swap one for the other when the opposition is tiring looks very promising.

Grealish had a good game but I struggle to figure out where he plays. He's a number 10 really, but I don't think we intend to play number 10s as our chosen formation seem to be either 433 or 343. Also Kane has developed this style where he drops deeper into that number 10 space. I reckon we could end up with them getting in each others way. Playing a wide player like Sancho or Saka who has pace to go on the outside and can gets to the byline might be better. 

My current guess on how we lineup against Croatia (I think we will play 343 against the stronger teams and 433 against weaker teams)

--------Sterling---Kane---Mount

Shaw---Bellingham---Rice---Trippier

-------Mings----Stones---Walker

---------------Pickford

11 minutes ago, roverandout said:

The jocks are getting like the taffys now. Not so long ago they were calling themselves shite now all of a sudden they're world beaters. Im referring to the arrogance of some Scots who think its a shoe-in they will beat England.  No chance.  They drew with a very poor Dutch side badly coached by de boer.  The welsh started to believe they were the bees knees after a one off semi final achievement which was more an anomaly in their history.  Now the Scots are delusioned. I know this sounds controversial but its what I've read from alot of Scots.  England will control that game and make Scotland look average.  I would be surprised if Scotland get out the group 

I wish I had your confidence!

Even when they were utterly terrible the scots could often beat us. Standard Derby situation, talent goes out the window.

Really can't wait to watch this game in a beer garden. Will be an amazing atmosphere!

• Like 2

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, roverandout said:

In the last 25 years, Wales have got as far as us, as many times as us, in major tournaments. i.e. 1 semi final!

Our last 3 competitive games v Scotland reads - 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss.

We're hardly the world beaters we think we are sometimes. 

And knowing our special talent of bottling it in Tournaments when we're expected to win, I envisage a dodgy VAR penalty and sending off, a Scotland win, and Nicola Sturgeon to spontaneously combust in the corporate bar at Wembley............So, every cloud I guess.. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silas said:

In the last 25 years, Wales have got as far as us, as many times as us, in major tournaments. i.e. 1 semi final!

Euro 96 was 25 years ago so it's 2 semi finals for England...And what's the point of arbitrary cut offs? Go back 31 years and we've been in 3 to Wales 1.

This England team is our best hope for years. Far more balanced and less divas than the "golden generation".

I fancy us to have a good run this summer.

Edited by Displaced Rover
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, roverandout said:

I will be very disappointed if we don't stick 4 or 5 past Scotland. They have two very good fullbacks and that is it. Grant Hanley still gets a game for them FFS, and Rovers stuck 4 - yes FOUR - past their keeper not that long ago. The jocks have been irrelevant to us for 20+ years now.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Grealish had a good game but I struggle to figure out where he plays. He's a number 10 really, but I don't think we intend to play number 10s as our chosen formation seem to be either 433 or 343. Also Kane has developed this style where he drops deeper into that number 10 space. I reckon we could end up with them getting in each others way. Playing a wide player like Sancho or Saka who has pace to go on the outside and can gets to the byline might be better. 

My current guess on how we lineup against Croatia (I think we will play 343 against the stronger teams and 433 against weaker teams)

--------Sterling---Kane---Mount

Shaw---Bellingham---Rice---Trippier

-------Mings----Stones---Walker

---------------Pickford

I think we have plenty of scope for players who play a 10 in pretty much the formation you've outlined. In fact having 2 number 10's but one inside right and one inside left. Which I realise isn't quite a 10. A hybrid of a 10 and an inside forward if that makes any sense. 

The full backs provide the width and then we have Mount, Foden and Grealish who are all perfect for those pockets behind Kane. Sancho can do the same to a slightly lesser extent. Its Rashford and Sterling I see as squad players and not commanding a spot in the starting 11. 

I'd post my own formation but it's the same as yours but with an emphasis on narrow and fluid for the forwards and either Grealish or Foden for Sterling. 

Importantly I'd be giving Kane strict instructions that primarily he is a striker. Dropping deep worked at spurs as their attacking players are more direct rather than fluid. For England it's not all about him. We don't need him for creativity. We need him to finish the moves.

• Like 1

Haven't read the replies other than on the last page of this thread but I have to say if everyone is debating last night's game seriously you're easily pleased.

I never usually bother with England between tournaments but was free last night so thought I'd tune in and see where we're at these days.

Never seen such a load of crap in my life, load of fancy Dan's playing tippy tippy football with zero penetration and the only real passion being shown was for trying to buy cheap free kicks with exaggerated falls for minimal contact.

What really got my goat was when Lingard I think was substituted and he Southgate and the coaching staff were all high fiveing one another like they'd won the World Cup.

A proper manager would have been giving the players the cold shoulder for putting in such an abject performance.  

All in all I was left fairly speechless. Really can't see us doing anything with that muppet Southgate in charge.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Haven't read the replies other than on the last page of this thread but I have to say if everyone is debating last night's game seriously you're easily pleased.

I never usually bother with England between tournaments but was free last night so thought I'd tune in and see where we're at these days.

Never seen such a load of crap in my life, load of fancy Dan's playing tippy tippy football with zero penetration and the only real passion being shown was for trying to buy cheap free kicks with exaggerated falls for minimal contact.

What really got my goat was when Lingard I think was substituted and he Southgate and the coaching staff were all high fiveing one another like they'd won the World Cup.

A proper manager would have been giving the players the cold shoulder for putting in such an abject performance.  

All in all I was left fairly speechless. Really can't see us doing anything with that muppet Southgate in charge.

Grealish was clattered every time he had the ball. Not his fault he spent alot of time on the floor

12 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Grealish was clattered every time he had the ball. Not his fault he spent alot of time on the floor

Apparently something like 30% or 20% off all goals in tournaments come from set pieces, perhaps this might be an important weapon with Grealish being able to draw fouls in and around the box.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/15158162/england-maguire-henderson-injuries-euros/amp/

These could be critical blows. Mings and Coady are not going to instill much confidence, neither does Kalvin Phillips and Bellingham is obviously still very raw for all of his talent.

Yeah, Coady and Mings looked average the other night and very slow.  It's a worry.

13 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The players on the pitch were mostly fringe players. They should have been busting a gut to prove why they should be guaranteed starters but they weren't. Im glad its not just me who doesn't understand the attitude of modern footballers. I'll show you doesn't seem to be in their psyche

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/15158162/england-maguire-henderson-injuries-euros/amp/

These could be critical blows. Mings and Coady are not going to instill much confidence, neither does Kalvin Phillips and Bellingham is obviously still very raw for all of his talent.

Probs means we are more likely to go three at the back. 

35 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yeah, Coady and Mings looked average the other night and very slow.  It's a worry.

I was reading in my paper that Mings gave their striker a crack off the ball early on in the game. They were saying it would have been a red card job if VAR had been working. I didn’t see it, did you ?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was reading in my paper that Mings gave their striker a crack off the ball early on in the game. They were saying it would have been a red card job if VAR had been working. I didn’t see it, did you ?

Not live, but I saw it yesterday.  If VAR was around.. Red card

I think the plan was always 3 at the back Joey. Has to be without Hendo and he was always a doubt.

I think it will be James Stones and Mings personally but could easily see Walker replace James. Although I'd prefer he didn't. I have never been a fan of Mings either and personally think Ezre Konsa is a better defender than him having watched almost all the Villa games this year.

I have faith in Bellingham in midfield with Rice and thought they looked good together against Austria. They just needed more movement up front.

We need to get players running in behind and that's why I am not taking much from the Austria game. Saka, Grealish and Lingard was a poor attacking 3 when you consider Kane. He needs a Rashford, Sancho or Sterling out wide to make them runs in behind when he drops deep. None of the 3 vs Austria did that. The bigger test will be Romania. If he plays his starting line up, which he should do, then we will have an idea of how we are going to perform.

• Like 2

Even if we go 3 at the back, it is likely that Mings will be still in that defence. Assuming that we are playing Mbappe/Griezmann/Benzema or Bernardo Silva/Bruno Fernandes/Ronaldo/Jota in the second round, having Mings there feels like a car crash waiting to happen. Also, presumably the third centre back would be Walker/James, it would also leave one less space for one of our attacking talents. Henderson and Maguire in particulars fitness is potentially critical.

The replacement for Alexander Arnold needs to surely be either White or Ward Prowse, 2 ok players but nothing special, simply to numerically cover one of the 2 players who it seems quite possibly might miss the tournament.

• Like 1