BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

47 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

If this article is true; Euro 2020 – what are England's squad numbers? | FourFourTwo

Then is Southgate's line up this;

Pickford

Walker  Stones  Maguire  Shaw

Henderson  Rice

Sterling  Grealish  Rashford

Kane

Even allowing for a horses-for-courses approach, I struggle to see how he can leave out both Foden and Mount at the same time. 

• Like 1

One of these two line ups for me

Pickford

Trippier - Stones - ?????? - Shaw

Bellingham - Rice

Foden   -    Mount  -  Grealish

Kane

Pickford

Walker - Stones - ??????

Trippier - Bell*/Mount - Rice - Chilwell

Foden                Grealish

Kane

*Bellingham not Amari 

I prefer the 3-4-2-1. Trippier and Chilwell can be huge attacking outlets. Trippier is in for his set piece ability and the amount of free kicks we will get. Foden and Grealish will complement as inside forwards. The big question mark is if we come up against midfield overloads and whether Rice and one other can handle it. There is also the question of Mason Mount and whether he has the disciple to play in there as that is a huge amount of creativity on the pitch if he can. If we are being overrun it doesn't take much to switch to a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3. In both these set ups it is essential that Kane does not carry his new found Spurs habit of dropping to deep. As good as he has been at it this season we have the creativity already. He needs to be finishing the moves, not starting them.

I'm totally stumped as to what to do about the Maguire scenario. He's one of our most important players, not because he is World Class (he's decent) but because the other options are awful. I'd be tempted to gamble and put Ben White in. Southgate had a misplaced confidence in Mings. He shouldn't be in the squad and it's posing a problem. 

In terms of Grealish/Foden and Sterling/Rashford I hear a lot of talk about pace in behind but I'm so unimpressed with both Sterling and Rashford they've both blown it with their terrible form for me. I see the argument and I agree with the argument. But form and that both prefer the left where the un-droppable Grealish likes to drift in from makes it a no brainer. Foden being a left footer on the right adds balance to the side too. 

That's the side hands down for me. Only question marks is can the brilliant Mason Mount play in that formation and who the hell fills in for Maguire. In saying all of that I imagine we'll see some dross like this. 

Pickford

Walker  Stones  ??????  Shaw

Henderson  Rice

Kane

Totally uninspiring and Southgate's loyalty will begin to cost us big time. If they're on form and they fit in a system then they should play. We'll see an unfit Hendo, an out of form Sterling and Rashford, Kane being starved and dropping deeper and deeper for the ball and our more conservative full backs. 

6 hours ago, roverandout said:

So foden and Mount are dull? That team yesterday bares no resembles to what will start on Sunday.  I would have Mount grealish foden kane.  But we also have the pace of sterling rashford sancho. Plus saka as a wildcard.  One thing this England team isn't at full strength is dull . Just the manager 

Were Foden and Mount playing in the match I was discussing?

Sancho, for all the hype, looks fairly average in an England shirt. Rashford is out of form.  Only Grealish stood out, which was my original point. 

• Moderation Lead
15 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Okay, so I start a separate thread?

No, we don’t want it to be discussed. As it will inevitably lead to politics on the football  only forum.

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

If this article is true; Euro 2020 – what are England's squad numbers? | FourFourTwo

Then is Southgate's line up this;

Pickford

Walker  Stones  Maguire  Shaw

Henderson  Rice

Kane

I'd have Foden and Mount instead of Sterling and Rashford as our best side, maybe a bit unbalanced but would be exciting to watch! (For a change)

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I'd have Foden and Mount instead of Sterling and Rashford as our best side, maybe a bit unbalanced but would be exciting to watch! (For a change)

I wouldn't argue with that. 

The article did say that Mount and James got their Chelsea numbers which may mean something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Were Foden and Mount playing in the match I was discussing?

Sancho, for all the hype, looks fairly average in an England shirt. Rashford is out of form.  Only Grealish stood out, which was my original point. 

Ok my bad.  Sancho looks scared in an England shirt. He should play with the same fearlessness he does for dortmund.  Though to be fair he does have 3 goals and about 5 assists for England.  Hes a great weapon to come off the bench.  I also thought rashford looked good. He got behind their defenders with his pace and had good link up play with Shaw.  Hes not fully fit 

I want to see this 

Pickford 

Chilwell stones white james 

Rice

Bellingham mount

Rashford kane grealish/foden 

We have players like grealish/foden saka sancho sterling dcl to try and change the game.  We've never had so many attacking options 

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Goalkeeper and central defence.... crucial weak links in the England team and the potential for silly mistakes. Quarter-finals at best. 

Pickford has always been solid for England.  Never made a mistake.  Hes also played well for Everton lately.  Stones has eradicated his mistakes mostly.  We have pace at fullback to cover any defensive flaws

4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Pickford has always been solid for England.  Never made a mistake.  Hes also played well for Everton lately.  Stones has eradicated his mistakes mostly.  We have pace at fullback to cover any defensive flaws

Been watching England nearly 60 years....we've reached one final of a major tournament in our history. England always find a way to lose. We're hopeless, and it won't be any different this time. Trust me

• Like 2

I get the feeling Southgate probably knows if he messes up the tournament he's most likely out as coach so i can only see him going ultra conservative and trying to scrape his way through to the final.

I think we'll get out of the group then the first team we come up against with a class forward we'll lose as they make mincemeat of our defence,nothing more i'd like to see that us win something if only for the boost for the country after the shit we've gone through the last year.I hope i'm wrong but thats the way i see it going.

29 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I want to see this 

Pickford 

Chilwell stones white james 

Rice

Bellingham mount

Rashford kane grealish/foden 

We have players like grealish/foden saka sancho sterling dcl to try and change the game.  We've never had so many attacking options 

That's probably the team when we play 433, except Walker instead of James I'm sure. After Mings' stinkers I can see White being dropped in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

I get the feeling Southgate probably knows if he messes up the tournament he's most likely out as coach so i can only see him going ultra conservative and trying to scrape his way through to the final.

I think we'll get out of the group then the first team we come up against with a class forward we'll lose as they make mincemeat of our defence,nothing more i'd like to see that us win something if only for the boost for the country after the shit we've gone through the last year.I hope i'm wrong but thats the way i see it going.

Unless he messes up Hodgson v Iceland style, not sure he will go anywhere with a World Cup less than 18 months away.

His corporate management speak, his creation of ‘inclusive environments’ etc has the modern day press who are terrified of being labelled the bullies they once were (this article a prime example, is his priority results or ‘creating a culture’ ?https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57377547 ) eating out of his hands.

Plus an FA that loves a clean cut blazer type means he stays. So unless disaster he’s going to Qatar.

Edited by Mattyblue

7 hours ago, roverandout said:

I'm more confident.  Im scared of France but I see no reason to fear Portugal or Germany.  We have just as good players 

We're England,we always choke when we play anyone half decent.

27 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Hes done a fine job so far. Hes got rid of the deadwood.  Brought in youth. Hes got the second best win percentage of any England manager behind capello.  Not including Allardyce.  He just needs tactical help

Tournaments are what matter, matches the WC and reaches at least a semi final, then that’s fair enough. Though shouldn’t England be finally reaching a final after all these decades?

If we don’t, then for me that’s a poor showing after five years in charge and with this group of players.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Tournaments are what matter, matches the WC and reaches at least a semi final, then that’s fair enough. Though shouldn’t England be finally reaching a final after all these decades?

If we don’t, then for me that’s a poor showing after five years in charge and with this group of players.

We have some good attacking players but this team isn't a patch on previous England teams of the last 30 years. The defence and CM are rank average. 

Not as good as Euro 96/WC98, obviously. Or on paper the ‘golden generation’, though they achieved bugger all, but surely better than some of the other teams that we’ve seen over the past 30 years? Stank out Euro 92 and 2000, didn’t even qualify for WC94 or Euro 2008. The 2010s largely forgettable.

I’d say he could have easily put a solid back line together, but like a certain other individual that has spent a lot of time on Teesside, constantly chopping and changing personnel and systems means we’ve never seen it.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Not as good as Euro 96/WC98, obviously. Or on paper the ‘golden generation’, though they achieved bugger all, but surely better than some of the other teams that we’ve seen over the past 15 years?

I’d say he could have easily put a solid back line together, but like a certain other individual that has spent a lot of time on Teesside, constantly chopping and changing personnel and systems means we’ve never seen it.

Exactly, they won bugger all, and yet they were far better than this shower. Then you add in the manager factor, Venables and Hoddle were both good coaches. Venables was exceptional. 

Who would be in that 'solid' defence? And there isn't an ounce of creativity in that midfield. 

As usual when it comes to England  average players are being vastly overrated. 

• Like 1