16 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I love watching Grealish, I think he's a terrific player, but the rest of that team are very dull. 

Death by a thousand sideways passes. 

So foden and Mount are dull? That team yesterday bares no resembles to what will start on Sunday.  I would have Mount grealish foden kane.  But we also have the pace of sterling rashford sancho. Plus saka as a wildcard.  One thing this England team isn't at full strength is dull . Just the manager 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just play less internationals full stop, then you don’t have to make up a convoluted competition to replace friendlies. All you need is Qualifiers, a few warm up games before a tournament and the tour

Originally had four right backs in the squad, so the final game before the tournament... GS plays a centre half there. 😐 He been meeting up with TM for tactical masterclasses or what?

Elgar's Land of Hope and Glory is far superior to the dirgy GSTQ, more upbeat and a better celebration of "Englishness".  Elgar was a football fan too - a Wolves supporter - which makes it perfec

Posted Images

White has been selected to replace TAA so thats gives you 5 centre backs in the squad. Still don't understand why we need 3 right backs in this squad. I wouldn't have picked Saka either and picked Watkins who cover can wide and the striker role. 

My team for the Croatia depending on injuries/fitness is 

Pickford

James Stones Maguire Shaw

Henderson Rice

Foden      Mount       Rashford

Kane

Pickford

james.    Stones.  Coady.   Shaw

Bellingham.  Rice

foden.           Mount.       Grealish

Kane

maguire when fit. That’s are best 11

15 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Pickford

james.    Stones.  Coady.   Shaw

Bellingham.  Rice

foden.           Mount.       Grealish

Kane

maguire when fit. That’s are best 11

I desperately want to get Grealish and Foden in the same team - but looking at the front three, there isn't much in the way of pace or players who run in behind the defence. I can completely understand Rashford playing for that reason, especially against the better sides, but it's a real conundrum. Leaving either Foden or Grealish outside the XI is such a massive call. 

13 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Gazza was good, but he was never a match for Nicky Reid. And Keith Hill getting stuck into him when we equalised is funny! Well worth a watch. Like a different world!

Great footage and great atmosphere. Two teams steaming forward towards the oppositions’ goals. I say, how quaint, how novel. It’ll never catch on.

And..just two minutes in to the clip. Proof of the correct words to the ‘No Nay Never’ chant. As in ‘WILL’ we play Burnley Bast***s and not ‘TIL.’ 

Us ‘owd ‘uns always knew.

56 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

White has been selected to replace TAA so thats gives you 5 centre backs in the squad. Still don't understand why we need 3 right backs in this squad. I wouldn't have picked Saka either and picked Watkins who cover can wide and the striker role. 

My team for the Croatia depending on injuries/fitness is 

Pickford

James Stones Maguire Shaw

Henderson Rice

Foden      Mount       Rashford

Kane

I wouldn’t have Henderson and Rice in the same team. I’d have Trippier in instead of James, I like James a lot but I think Trippier is a better right back.

41 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I desperately want to get Grealish and Foden in the same team - but looking at the front three, there isn't much in the way of pace or players who run in behind the defence. I can completely understand Rashford playing for that reason, especially against the better sides, but it's a real conundrum. Leaving either Foden or Grealish outside the XI is such a massive call. 

Foden is quick

7 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Foden is quick

He is - don't get me wrong, Grealish is no slouch either - but I don't see either of them really stretching teams by making runs in behind. I'm remembering when we scored three goals away against Spain a couple of years ago, and how important our pace and power was in that performance.

There's no doubt that form-wise, Grealish & Foden should be higher in the pecking order than Rasford & Sterling, but at the same time I think one of each would have a better balance to it. Tough call. 

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Stones to come back plus white looked quality yesterday.  Assured in possession.  Good passer. Nicked the ball off their attackers.  Still would have taken tomori 

Totally missed that White took Alexander-Arnold's spot. That is a good call I think.

Seems a shame Ward Prowse missed out. I thought his set pieces were exceptional, and it feels like we need another midfielder (which is mad considering we have a squad of 26....). Hard to pick out who to drop for him though. 

Posted (edited)

Thing about the speed to run in behind its not necessarily top speed that counts its your acceleration. Its why the likes of sterling and traore are a handful cos they can go from 0-60 in the blink of an eye. So whilst grealish and foden don't hang about, you need a sterling (preferably one who can shoot) or a rashford who can just switch it on and go. Even if they're not in form and not scoring, as long as they can sprint they'll drag players around and cause problems. 

If we're playing 4 at the back I think you have Mount next to one of rice or Henderson. Kane up top with rashford on the left then 2 from foden  grealish and sancho for the other two slots. If we're playing 3 at the back with wing backs you suddenly have a headache for the attacking spots. 

Edited by RoverDom
  • Moderation Lead
24 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Can the mods advise me, where I can comment on the booing of England players before the matches.  I've tried hard, but my posts have been deleted without explanation.

We’ve made the call to not allow that discussion tbh as it takes things off topic.

47 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

If this article is true; Euro 2020 – what are England's squad numbers? | FourFourTwo

Then is Southgate's line up this;

Pickford

Walker  Stones  Maguire  Shaw

Henderson  Rice

Sterling  Grealish  Rashford

Kane

Even allowing for a horses-for-courses approach, I struggle to see how he can leave out both Foden and Mount at the same time. 

One of these two line ups for me

Pickford

Trippier - Stones - ?????? - Shaw

Bellingham - Rice

Foden   -    Mount  -  Grealish

Kane

Pickford

Walker - Stones - ??????

Trippier - Bell*/Mount - Rice - Chilwell

Foden                Grealish

Kane

*Bellingham not Amari 

I prefer the 3-4-2-1. Trippier and Chilwell can be huge attacking outlets. Trippier is in for his set piece ability and the amount of free kicks we will get. Foden and Grealish will complement as inside forwards. The big question mark is if we come up against midfield overloads and whether Rice and one other can handle it. There is also the question of Mason Mount and whether he has the disciple to play in there as that is a huge amount of creativity on the pitch if he can. If we are being overrun it doesn't take much to switch to a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3. In both these set ups it is essential that Kane does not carry his new found Spurs habit of dropping to deep. As good as he has been at it this season we have the creativity already. He needs to be finishing the moves, not starting them.

I'm totally stumped as to what to do about the Maguire scenario. He's one of our most important players, not because he is World Class (he's decent) but because the other options are awful. I'd be tempted to gamble and put Ben White in. Southgate had a misplaced confidence in Mings. He shouldn't be in the squad and it's posing a problem. 

In terms of Grealish/Foden and Sterling/Rashford I hear a lot of talk about pace in behind but I'm so unimpressed with both Sterling and Rashford they've both blown it with their terrible form for me. I see the argument and I agree with the argument. But form and that both prefer the left where the un-droppable Grealish likes to drift in from makes it a no brainer. Foden being a left footer on the right adds balance to the side too. 

That's the side hands down for me. Only question marks is can the brilliant Mason Mount play in that formation and who the hell fills in for Maguire. In saying all of that I imagine we'll see some dross like this. 

Pickford

Walker  Stones  ??????  Shaw

Henderson  Rice

Kane

Totally uninspiring and Southgate's loyalty will begin to cost us big time. If they're on form and they fit in a system then they should play. We'll see an unfit Hendo, an out of form Sterling and Rashford, Kane being starved and dropping deeper and deeper for the ball and our more conservative full backs. 

6 hours ago, roverandout said:

So foden and Mount are dull? That team yesterday bares no resembles to what will start on Sunday.  I would have Mount grealish foden kane.  But we also have the pace of sterling rashford sancho. Plus saka as a wildcard.  One thing this England team isn't at full strength is dull . Just the manager 

Were Foden and Mount playing in the match I was discussing?

Sancho, for all the hype, looks fairly average in an England shirt. Rashford is out of form.  Only Grealish stood out, which was my original point. 

• Moderation Lead
15 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Okay, so I start a separate thread?

No, we don’t want it to be discussed. As it will inevitably lead to politics on the football  only forum.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

If this article is true; Euro 2020 – what are England's squad numbers? | FourFourTwo

Then is Southgate's line up this;

Pickford

Walker  Stones  Maguire  Shaw

Henderson  Rice

Kane

I'd have Foden and Mount instead of Sterling and Rashford as our best side, maybe a bit unbalanced but would be exciting to watch! (For a change)

Edited by DeeCee
36 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I'd have Foden and Mount instead of Sterling and Rashford as our best side, maybe a bit unbalanced but would be exciting to watch! (For a change)

I wouldn't argue with that. 

The article did say that Mount and James got their Chelsea numbers which may mean something.

5 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Were Foden and Mount playing in the match I was discussing?

Sancho, for all the hype, looks fairly average in an England shirt. Rashford is out of form.  Only Grealish stood out, which was my original point. 

Ok my bad.  Sancho looks scared in an England shirt. He should play with the same fearlessness he does for dortmund.  Though to be fair he does have 3 goals and about 5 assists for England.  Hes a great weapon to come off the bench.  I also thought rashford looked good. He got behind their defenders with his pace and had good link up play with Shaw.  Hes not fully fit 

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

OUT IN FIRST KNOCKOUT ROUND

I'm more confident.  Im scared of France but I see no reason to fear Portugal or Germany.  We have just as good players