BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Newcastle United away in the League Cup

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Dominant display tonight but worrying signs at both ends. Absolutely no cutting edge and really susceptible to counter attacks with both full backs so high up.

Brereton with another game with more questions than answers. Missed a big chance at the end and so reluctant to get into the box or compete for headers. Some things you can understand but those 2 are not good enough from a striker.

To be honest, I think he actually looked worse centrally because he for some reason (and as @Miller11 highlights above) as I said is rarely in the box. He does have one attribute that he often, seemingly quite clumsily and at times fortunately but ultimately effectively can run past players but it is never in dangerous areas.

None of our attackers were effective. Still unsure what Rankin Costello brings to the team, anonymous. Dolan I do get the hype but again theres not much at the end of it, albeit you can see what he brings with his pace, tricks (at times overdoing it but he is raw) and running ability, Rankin Costello, less so. Armstrong and Chapman were both quiet too.

Gutted to hear about Travis, why did they make him carry on? I get that we would have had 10 men but his fitness is more important. He was excellent tonight. As was Holtby, should have scored but very good on the ball. Rothwell was too but no end product and not the same quality as Holtby. 

Bell so wasteful everytime he got the ball, so many overhit crosses and so slow of mind. Kaminski should have done better for the goal too.

Firstly Kaminski shouldnt have done better imo. Need the back 4 working together and in straight line. Ayala's experience will help. Plus next week we need to working at that all week. Travis wouldnt come here. He wants to play and on the pitch. Hes no soft ass. 

I find the rest of the post over critical and abit OTT.  You just gone to Newcastle and out performed them bearing in mind that Newcastle team cost 100 million pounds. 

Like I said in my previous post, encouraging performance. The only thing that worries me is that Newcastle seemed to sit off for the majority of the game and look to hit us on the break, I can see Wycombe doing the same at Ewood on Saturday. I hope we can create more from of our dominance of the ball on Saturday and don’t get caught out like we have done in the past under Mowbray against “lesser” teams at Ewood. 

As for Brereton, I can’t believe he’s still being “assessed” on here.

Hes not a footballer, he’s just technically not good enough - that’s been obvious to me from just a few games watching him. I know there’s a call for him to play up front down the middle, but honestly I’ve seen a hell of a lot of centre forwards in my time watching rovers but I can’t think of very many, if any with fewer credentials to play centre forward than Ben has. 

• Like 8

Just now, Tom said:

Whilst I think BB has shown some signs of promise we seem to have dumbed down to the point where we praise our £7m signing for games where he ‘looks a bit better’ or ‘almost got a goal’

I just wish he had the belief of someone like Dolan who plays with the youthful exuberance.

I (baselessly) think Brereton really struggles with confidence, seems to be the butt of the joke with the players banter when you hear them interviewed as well 

I think its been noticeable that Brereton's three good games thus far have been against Fleetwood, Blackpool and Doncaster - perhaps that is the level he is comfortable with.  I hope he can prove me wrong but I just don't see a player in the lad.  He looks awkward on the ball and struggles to make an impression on defenders.  Two goals is a shocking return no matter how we dress it up but I agree the lad looks very short of confidence.  He reminds me of Kevin Davies when he came here for big money and couldn't cope with it only to blossom elsewhere.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly Kaminski shouldnt have done better imo. Need the back 4 working together and in straight line. Ayala's experience will help. Plus next week we need to working at that all week. Travis wouldnt come here. He wants to play and on the pitch. Hes no soft ass. 

I find the rest of the post over critical and abit OTT.  You just gone to Newcastle and out performed them bearing in mind that Newcastle team cost 100 million pounds. 

Kaminski should have done better in my opinion, the defence in the build up were all over the place and it did come on the counter attack which is a worry that I have flagged because we keep playing with our full backs both high up and it will cause us issues on the counter attack. I dont doubt any of that, but the finish wasnt in the corner and somewhat went through the keeper.

Travis wouldnt come off? Do soft arses refuse to play with damaged knee ligaments? Ultimately if he had an injury, he should have been told that he has to come off, not left on to make it worse and now miss many weeks.

I would prefer to get battered and win to be fair. There are some positives tonight for sure but ultimately I am worried as to the vulnerability of our centre backs playing with our full backs so high, and I am unconvinced that we have enough of a cutting edge. I dont think we would have scored had we played until next week. Rankin Costello, Brereton, Dolan, Chapman, Rothwell, plenty of pace and energy there, but how many goals?

I also dont know how Dack will come back in without a change of shape, but we do need him back because he is one of only 2 players who can get us goals.

40 million of that was spent on Joelinton, a total waste of space!

I think this comes down to how much faith you have in what Mowbray is doing. Trying to play more expansively, 4-3-3, full backs high up, sometimes false 9s, wide strikers, this whole new world, it ultimately got a very poor points return in the last 9 games, and we have lost the first 2 this season, difficult games, games that we have been praised plenty in, but games we have been on the wrong side of. I have doubts about various aspects of it, and ultimately football is about points, not pretty passing, so until we start picking up points regularly playing this way, I will be skeptical. I think there will have to be a compromise.

Edited by roversfan99

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm surprised they've not laid into their other whipping boy, Rothwell too. Two players who can do no right in the eyes of some. 

rothwell,runs around like a mad chicken,always come inside and gets into trouble,never shown anyone that he is effective wherever you put him

brereton enough said

the two of them are not good enough,no point in happy clapping,the truth must be told

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He’s no soft ass? 

Bravery and stupidity are often confused!

• Like 5

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

rothwell,runs around like a mad chicken,always come inside and gets into trouble,never shown anyone that he is effective wherever you put him

brereton enough said

the two of them are not good enough,no point in happy clapping,the truth must be told

I thought Rothwell was a lot better today. More considered use of the ball, and good driving runs.

Rothwells already a useful player and has a lot of potential to improve. 

Brereton it is hard to see what potential he has.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

brereton enough said

You watched the game today, yes?

Rothwell was superb playing centrally. His ability to run with the ball, his vision and his range of passes SCREAMS CM. 

I think that's the first time, and hopefully the last, that I've been accused of happy clapping. I call it how I see it. 

• Like 2

Watched this with a Newcastle supporter who couldn’t believe we didn’t win.

On the plus side, dominated, created chances and on other days we’d get the win. That said we lost, no doubt a dent to confidence after 2 defeats.

Kaminski 6 - Quiet game, maybe could have done better with the goal. Quick and positive on the distribution.

Nyambe 7 - Solid, enthusiastic performance.

Lenihan 6 - Okay.

Williams 7 - I was impressed, he looked to push forwards from the back, cut out an early chance, but did fluff 3 chances from corners.

Bell 6 - First touch slowed down some counter attacks.

Travis 6 - Okay.

Holtby 6 - Okay, snatched at a couple of chances.

Rothwell 8 - He grew into the game and kept driving forwards. Took his chance tonight.

Rankin-Costello 6 - Okay.

Dolan 7 - Exciting, positive and surely keeps his place on Saturday.

Brereton 6 - Battled, gave everything but not enough quality tonight.

Subs:

Chapman - Good cameo.

Armstrong - Not the dream return to his home club.

Buckley - Good cameo.

Hate losing, but plenty of positives. 3 points on Saturday then we can kick on ??

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I thought Rothwell was a lot better today. More considered use of the ball, and good driving runs.

Rothwells already a useful player and has a lot of potential to improve. 

Brereton it is hard to see what potential he has.

he`ll have one good game then ten bad ones,that is the problem,in the long run we can`t afford to be carrying that sort of inconsistency

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I think its been noticeable that Brereton's three good games thus far have been against Fleetwood, Blackpool and Doncaster - perhaps that is the level he is comfortable with.  I hope he can prove me wrong but I just don't see a player in the lad.  He looks awkward on the ball and struggles to make an impression on defenders.  Two goals is a shocking return no matter how we dress it up but I agree the lad looks very short of confidence.  He reminds me of Kevin Davies when he came here for big money and couldn't cope with it only to blossom elsewhere.

Funny, I'd say he had a good game tonight against a PL team. 

Our best attacking player tonight. Yes, he has things to work on - he's not a natural goal scorer for a start, but he's twice the player he was before lockdown. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JPTSwindon said:

Watched this with a Newcastle supporter who couldn’t believe we didn’t win.

On the plus side, dominated, created chances and on other days we’d get the win. That said we lost, no doubt a dent to confidence after 2 defeats.

Kaminski 6 - Quiet game, maybe could have done better with the goal. Quick and positive on the distribution.

Nyambe 7 - Solid, enthusiastic performance.

Lenihan 6 - Okay.

Williams 7 - I was impressed, he looked to push forwards from the back, cut out an early chance, but did fluff 3 chances from corners.

Bell 6 - First touch slowed down some counter attacks.

Travis 6 - Okay.

Holtby 6 - Okay, snatched at a couple of chances.

Rothwell 8 - He grew into the game and kept driving forwards. Took his chance tonight.

Rankin-Costello 6 - Okay.

Dolan 7 - Exciting, positive and surely keeps his place on Saturday.

Brereton 6 - Battled, gave everything but not enough quality tonight.

Subs:

Chapman - Good cameo.

Armstrong - Not the dream return to his home club.

Buckley - Good cameo.

Hate losing, but plenty of positives. 3 points on Saturday then we can kick on ??

Travis a 6 when Rothwell is an 8 is a weird one

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

Whilst I think BB has shown some signs of promise we seem to have dumbed down to the point where we praise our £7m signing for games where he ‘looks a bit better’ or ‘almost got a goal’

I just wish he had the belief of someone like Dolan who plays with the youthful exuberance.

I (baselessly) think Brereton really struggles with confidence, seems to be the butt of the joke with the players banter when you hear them interviewed as well 

I think his confidence is improving with a run in the side / not having 15k Rovers fans tut and sigh every time he loses the ball.

I'd back that up by saying he had a few pops at goal today when perhaps it wasn't the best option. He usually always looks to lay it off. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

If Travis did his knee in that pointless challenge on Murphy then he's only got himself to blame. Huge blow that too ?

It was the challenge up on the far touchline, not sure who against but imo it looked quite dirty from their fella, who clearly wasn’t getting to the ball but came in late anyways.

46 minutes ago, mustard said:

It was the challenge up on the far touchline, not sure who against but imo it looked quite dirty from their fella, who clearly wasn’t getting to the ball but came in late anyways.

Was that the one around the 70 minute mark, where he was down for 5 seconds or so, then got up and carried on? Given his importance, the game's low importance, and that he hasn't looked quite right since his last injury, that moment should have been all TM needed to bring Davenport on tbh. But Trav will play on through more or less anything I imagine, so hard to tell if he really needs to come off.

It is what it is now. We are going to need someone to come in, and I really hadn't considered that area a priority until now. I reckon it just leapfrogged backup CB and backup GK in the importance stakes, but still behind LB.

Edit - we may have already used our subs at this point, but that's exactly why you don't use all your subs by that point, which TM loves to do and has actually been lucky to get away with so often.

Edited by bluebruce

24 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think his confidence is improving with a run in the side / not having 15k Rovers fans tut and sigh every time he loses the ball.

I'd back that up by saying he had a few pops at goal today when perhaps it wasn't the best option. He usually always looks to lay it off. 

Can we just agree that much of the frustration with BB is that he often looks like he has never played before. 

He rarely looks like he is in full control of the ball. 

He gives the impression that he had no footballing experience before he joined us, and has now been told what is expected from a footballer, so he is working hard to pick up the game as quickly as he can. 

Every single game, he loses control and possession of the ball, under no pressure whatsoever. If he was given the chance to run towards goal with no defenders in sight, I would challenge him to get 5 shots from 10 on target, and 2 out of those 10 he would leave the ball behind him. 

I have never said this about any other forward (Brown obv excepted), and yes if he hadn't swallowed half of our 3 year striker budget, we would have more patience with him. 

That still doesn't excuse him regularly falling over the ball. 

Sigh....

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

There was the main one in the centre when he was down with the physio for a couple of minutes stretching his leg, with 10 minutes to go and all 3 subs left. At that stage he should have been forced to come off. Now we will pay the price and need to find a replacement.

Maybe our rumoured interest in Rathbone at Rochdale may become more serious now. A poor mans Travis if ever I saw one.