BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Watford v Rovers Wed 21st Oct 7.45pm

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I didn’t see todays game but I think Travis is being missed more than we realise . Massive player for us

As much as I'm a Travis fan, he wouldn't have done much to change this game I feel. The left side was obviously weak, this hopefully gets addressed on Saturday when Douglas starts.

A daft OG, I know the biased rovers commentary said it was unfortunate, but for me it was plain stupid.

A shite penalty more than a good save, these things cost us tonight big time, our midfield 3 massively outplayed their midfield 3.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Butty said:

You could see the talent was there, there’s not many people in the side who could play the pass he played through to Armstrong when Foster tipped it over the bar. He will be a good player for us will Elliott. 

One of the highlights of the game for me. Deserved a goal.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Argh, I don’t think we can play that well every week sadly...but I’ll take your bet for playoffs...of that I have no doubt! 

So you don’t have any real confidence then.

I’ll meet you half way and you can have promotion and I’ll take not.

4 minutes ago, A Northern Horde... said:

A classic case of blinding optimism supplanting reality.

Mate, did you not watch that performance? If I didn’t know better I’d say Arma had a few quid on Watford. He found so many ways to miss sitters...Lenihan too...?

1 minute ago, Butty said:

Cardiff and forest we were poor I’m not disputing that but tonight we battered Watford, I don’t think they could go up another gear when they barely had the ball or barely attacked. Just one of those nights tonight. I knew as soon as the penalty was given Foster would save it.

You don't need to dominate the ball to beat Rovers. Sides are happy to sit back, lets us have the ball and then hit us on the counter. We have only won one game this season when we have had more possession and perhaps not coincidently the only game where we didn't have the majority of the possession produced our best performance of the season.

Ben Foster is a top goalkeeper who should be in the Premiership. He played for one of my local clubs on loan at step 3 nearly 20 years ago now he was an excellent goalie then and knowing a few of the lads that played with him they spoke highly of him. It just shows how a non league loan can help a young player develop, I think we should be looking into that for the likes of Buckley.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Weird I know...It was a TOP performance. Don’t think I’ve seen us dominate a contextually better team away like that for years!!

Lenihan and Arma owe the lads one for that. Should’ve won the game at a canter. Deserved to!

Disappointed about the result but excited about this season. With Trav, Rothwell, Dack and Douglas to come back I’m now (after that performance) absolutely sure we will finish in the top 6. ???

Dack to come back after November break, supposedly. I would feel better if I knew anything about Travis. How long is he expected to be out? 

Yeah, I like the fact we had 66% poss, and 7 shots on goal. But, I am not assured of top-6. We were 6th, three games ago, and led the division with a +8 goal diff. We’re 14th now, and need a couple of cream puffs we can dominate. I would feel better then. 

• Like 1

Just now, WacoRover said:

Dack to come back after November break, supposedly. I would feel better if I knew anything about Travis. How long is he expected to be out? 

Yeah, I like the fact we had 66% poss, and 7 shots on goal. But, I am not assured of top-6. We were 6th, three games ago, and led the division with a +8 goal diff. We’re 14th now, and need a couple of cream puffs we can dominate. I would feel better then. 

I wouldn’t worry, if we can play like that for the next few months and welcome those players back we’ll be in the top 6.??

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

I wouldn’t worry, if we can play like that for the next few months and welcome those players back we’ll be in the top 6.??

Honestly admire your optimism, Paul, but you sound very much like Mowbray! ‘Play like that every week and we’ll be there or thereabouts.’ Firstly, we still lost, and second, we won’t play like that every week - see Cardiff and Forest.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

You don't need to dominate the ball to beat Rovers. Sides are happy to sit back, lets us have the ball and then hit us on the counter. We have only won one game this season when we have had more possession and perhaps not coincidently the only game where we didn't have the majority of the possession produced our best performance of the season.

Ben Foster is a top goalkeeper who should be in the Premiership. He played for one of my local clubs on loan at step 3 nearly 20 years ago now he was an excellent goalie then and knowing a few of the lads that played with him they spoke highly of him. It just shows how a non league loan can help a young player develop, I think we should be looking into that for the likes of Buckley.

Agreed on Buckley, nowhere near ready yet. 

1 minute ago, WacoRover said:

I think that reflects the nature of this league. With games happening thick and fast, you can be sitting pretty one minute and then 3 games later you can plummet down the league. Conversely, 3 good results in a week and things look very rosy. 

• Like 1

Tony will say let's take the positives.

There are none - we've lost, conceded three (and could have been six), big question marks about Kaminski after tonight, Ayala crocked and IMO, Lenihan an overrated shambles and Bell just Bell (a terrible full back and Watford knew it and exploited).

That's seven points from six games and three losses.  No confidence and momentum there.

Johnson and Evans, IMO, not good enough.  Holtby needs some real help in there.

Elliott looks extremely confident and assured for a 17 year old and there's a lot more to come from him - did fade in last half hour (though not surprising).

Brereton improving - would not have subbed him.

Armstrong, wasteful - knew he'd miss the pen, far too cocky walking up to the spot persistently bouncing the ball (all Shearer did was put it on the spot and break the feckin net).

Dolan - the lad's card's been marked and Watford had done their homework!

Will soon be at the crossroads with Mowbray - this can't go on.  Sh1t or bust this season and we are already some distance off the pace.

Some on here scoffed at Ivan Toney when Brentford signed him - well he's scored more goals for them this season than Brereton and Gallagher have for us in three combined seasons - says it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Brentford can certainly work the market!!!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

.  Despite the disappointing result there were plenty of positives in this performance for me, far more than in the two previous home games.  

Such as what? Absolutely no penetration in attack and a very unreliable defence. 

I'm not convinced about Ayalla and Lenihan together. Rather have Williams. Nyambe hasn't a clue about football when it comes to forward passing. We play pretty, pretty football, keeping possession but with no end product.

I've not been as disappointed about a Rovers result and performance as tonight. It was dire.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Paul, I always look out for your posts as I think we are on the same wavelength but tonight although playing well going forward, I think defensively we are very poor and can be picked off far too easily. I hope you are right and we will get into the top 6 but alas I fear that until something is done about that defence albeit in terms of personnel or set up then we will really struggle to beat inferior teams on a regular basis.

• Like 2

Just now, Butty said:

With Trybull looking the type to sit in the holding role and spread the ball, Holtby a bit further forward doing what he does and then Rothwell driving on. That midfield three will be our best by a long stretch. 

Trybull
Holtby        Rothwell 

???

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We’ll win a lot of games playing like that. If we could recreate that performance every week I’d put decent money on us going up automatically!

Hope your right Paul. But I worry about the manager...Can he create a winning mentality?

• Moderation Lead

Desperately disappointing to lose tonight, however well we may have played.

The bottom line though, 6 games, 3 defeats and 2 defeats in a row. 
Whatever the situation, we need to turn things around and quickly. That includes picking our best players and not relying on players who have let us down time and again any more.

• Like 8