Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You need to calm down , we were playing Wycombe not Barcelona. We'll see how good we are on Tuesday.

I need to calm down?IV not said anywhere we  will finish in the top 6?And yeah it might be only Wycombe but my posts are in response to you making out we only hammered them because they were down to 10 men until I pointed out to you we were already 3-0 up.

A bit like other day when you said you couldn't understand Mowbray's transfer buisness not bringing in players better than what we had , despite the fact 5 of his signings this window look like they will be first choice

I think it's other people who need to calm down ,many posters ruled us out of contention for top 6 after the Forest game when none of our deadline day signings were involved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fantastic football that. Elliott, Arma, BB and Holtby must be frightening to play against. Douglas and Trybull are massive improvements...wait until Dack, Trav and Rothwell are back!! ?

Brereton MOM for me! ???

So close. That would have been like solving world peace had you two agreed. ?

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I need to calm down?IV not said anywhere we  will finish in the top 6?And yeah it might be only Wycombe but my posts are in response to you making out we only hammered them because they were down to 10 men until I pointed out to you we were already 3-0 up.

A bit like other day when you said you couldn't understand Mowbray's transfer buisness not bringing in players better than what we had , despite the fact 5 of his signings this window look like they will be first choice

I think it's other people who need to calm down ,many posters ruled us out of contention for top 6 after the Forest game when none of our deadline day signings were involved.

Like I said we'll know how good we are this time next week. Beat Reading and Swansea and we'll be looking good to go. I'm sorry but I'm not getting carried away with caning Wycombe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Equally, Forest were desperately unlucky not to score minutes prior to Lolley's goal when Ameobi hit the post. Coventry were desperately unlucky to hit the post just before we got a penalty and man advantage which would have changed the game totally. Johnson was lucky to get a huge deflection for one of his goals at Derby. We were lucky that our first goal v Wycombe came from a potentially dubious penalty award.

If you choose to have the mentality of, we might have lost even if Mowbray had used alternative tactics/selections, without considering the alternative side of that argument when things go well/we get bits of luck ourself, then that is your choice. Ultimately, such a blameless mentality and lack of responsibility only creates a biased viewpoint whereby the manager is praised for what he has done correctly (as he was yesterday, we were very good) and then totally absolved of any responsibility when things dont go well. 

The current way of playing has collected 1.43 points per game so far this season. Last season we collected 1.37 points per game. It is yielding a minimal increase in terms of results and points accumulation so far that is still a fair bit off that needed to make the top 6. My point has never been that we should not play this way, that the current style isnt showing promise and signs of excitement or that anything is disatrously wrong, only that it can only be fully justified and fawned over when it gets us into the top 6 which I dont think is controversial or unfair.

We have some lucky with Johnson;s goals at Bournemouth and Derby. If a player hits the post that isn't luck. 

You can have different point of view but we don't know what the result of playing 2 up front would be. Might have won or lost. None of us know apart from guess work and opinion. 

I don't see the point of comparing this season to last season as we are playing formation and style to last season. 

27 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd say the sending off had everything to do with it going from 3-0 to 5-0. They gave up at that point.

Wycombe were done at 3 nil and the sending off was stupid and the Wycombe player should have let Armstrong through on goal. Different situation if they were winning or drawing of losing 2-1 but we were 3 nil up. pointless sending off

10 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Johnson gave the ball away that led to the cruel deflection. 

Yes but Lolley's shot wasn't going in until the defection

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Like I said we'll know how good we are this time next week. Beat Reading and Swansea and we'll be looking good to go. I'm sorry but I'm not getting carried away with caning Wycombe.

Yes it fine not to get carried away, that isn't my point, basically giving no credit tho that isn't right, saying things like only Wycombe and Coventry or making out both hammerings were because of sendings off when we were already 3 up and through for a potential fourth in one of the matches and like iv said in previous posts Wycombe,Coventry and Derby haven't been getting hammered in their other matches.

Its also a good sign to have had 3 sendings off against us so far and we were unfortunate that Watford didn't have one sent off aswell.Teams are resorting to fouling us because they can't deal with the movement of our front 3.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Like I said we'll know how good we are this time next week. Beat Reading and Swansea and we'll be looking good to go. I'm sorry but I'm not getting carried away with caning Wycombe.

We’ll know how good we are after 46 games....

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment it has been an average start - with I would argue above average performances.

Over the season we will find out how good this team is - but I would argue we have been a little unlucky with injuries so far. Williams & Rothwell were both playing well when they came down with COVID - and the impact of losing Travis cannot be over estimated.

Any team getting promoted needs luck at the right times - up to press I think (in matches) our luck has been fairly even - our biggest failing has been to convert numerous good chances - and that isn't luck just poor finishing

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Derby & Coventry have -8 goal differences; our 4 goal wins at their home grounds (kind of, in Cov's case) inflicted half of them. Wycombe have a -13 goal difference, of which we accounted for 5 at Ewood.

Each of them has played 7 games, so in their other games Derby & Cov average approx -0.6 per game, Wycombe Approx -1.3. So yes, other teams have beaten them and they may be near the bottom of the division now, but our wins are a key reason why and no-one else has beaten any of them anywhere near as emphatically.

Does that make us flat track bullies? Maybe if looked at in isolation, but then if you add in that we played away at Watford & Bournemouth and gave them their toughest games, albeit leaving without a point, then I think that points to something of more substance.

Time will tell of course; bring on Reading I say!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I feel there is an element of revionism in regards to blaming too much on injuries or moreso the timing of transfers. That is one of the downfalls of not doing the deals until later in the window, I dont doubt that the signings have the potential to improve us. I just am uncomfortable in regards to just being too blaze and blaming everything on unavailability. We can only judge on what we see and both performances and the results were poor. As long as unavailability is acknowledged which I have done so, I feel I am within my rights in questioning and criticising tactical errors that I have repeatedly not liked seeing. Out of interest, Gallagher wide, Chapman as a 10, Johnson sitting as the deepest midfielder and Evans further on, do you agree with any of these tactical choices or disagree? I am also IMO within my rights to question our performance in certain types of fixtures which I will come on to.

I dont specifically remember these quotes (obviously not saying they dont exist) but I personally have never said "no chance of top 6" and certainly that we "will be closer to relegation than promotion" and indeed whoever said these things especially the latter example I agree are guilty of hyperbole.

I have also not downplayed the hammerings, in all 3 match threads including this my post match analysis was full of individual and collective positives. My point amidst it all is until (and if) this hope, potential, promise and excitement manifests into consistent top 6 standard results, that is all it is.

Regarding the issues you deem as unfair that have perhaps lagged over from previous seasons, you have to accept that until we get results that show that we have overcome these things, that they can and will be brought up. Our ability to really batter teams when in the ascendency has often been questioned in the past. That IS something we seem to have changed, any notion that teams neednt worry about getting battered by us if we are on it has been shot down. I have seen plenty of justified praise for this development. Conversely, our home record has been ok since promotion but perhaps littered with a few too many draws and at times a failure to break teams down. Cardiff and Forest were 2 further failures of this historical issue. The developing style and the new signings MIGHT in time overcome this but at this moment they havent so the question mark will always be there. Another issue is not enough points against top 6 sides. Obviously we dont know yet who those will be, but the relegated sides are amidst the favourites, we competed with both but lost. No use to us and something hopefully we again can adjust soon. People can only judge on what has happened, a forum cant be expected to just totally withhold judgement on anything until a specific point in the season, judgement is continious.

I have said many times a lot of things about Mowbray that I don't like and I agreed with you previously that Mowbray got things wrong against Forest.

In my opinion the squad isn't set up to sit deep and invite pressure and  hope for a goal  by hitting them on the break like some suggested we do against Watford.

I can nearly guarantee that if we sat deep against Watford and lost the game 1-0 we would have the same people calling Mowbray an idiot because he should have gone more attacking and had a go.

You never seem to remember the quotes but they are there like the where other day about Brereton "dives" and how it's a myth people don't have it in for Brereton.And btw just because you don't hear any Brereton abuse at the ground doesn't mean it doesn't exist...I have heard it myself from the people sitting behind me many many times 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I have said many times a lot of things about Mowbray that I don't like and I agreed with you previously that Mowbray got things wrong against Forest.

In my opinion the squad isn't set up to sit deep and invite pressure and  hope for a goal  by hitting them on the break like some suggested we do against Watford.

I can nearly guarantee that if we sat deep against Watford and lost the game 1-0 we would have the same people calling Mowbray an idiot because he should have gone more attacking and had a go.

You never seem to remember the quotes but they are there like the where other day about Brereton "dives" and how it's a myth people don't have it in for Brereton.And btw just because you don't hear any Brereton abuse at the ground doesn't mean it doesn't exist...I have heard it myself from the people sitting behind me many many times 

To be honest people have been waiting for over two years for Brererton to show them something out on the pitch, I think they're entitled to wonder if it was £7 million down the drain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

To be honest people have been waiting for over two years for Brererton to show them something out on the pitch, I think they're entitled to wonder if it was £7 million down the drain.

So that's an excuse to throw mindless abuse at a 19 year old lad who had no control of the size of his fee?Not in my book 

And I genuinely believe some posters would prefer to be proven right in their opinion of Brereton rather than see him come good.

Sure one poster was nearly jumping for joy when he played badly against Forest 

Edited by islander200
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I have said many times a lot of things about Mowbray that I don't like and I agreed with you previously that Mowbray got things wrong against Forest.

In my opinion the squad isn't set up to sit deep and invite pressure and  hope for a goal  by hitting them on the break like some suggested we do against Watford.

I can nearly guarantee that if we sat deep against Watford and lost the game 1-0 we would have the same people calling Mowbray an idiot because he should have gone more attacking and had a go.

You never seem to remember the quotes but they are there like the where other day about Brereton "dives" and how it's a myth people don't have it in for Brereton.And btw just because you don't hear any Brereton abuse at the ground doesn't mean it doesn't exist...I have heard it myself from the people sitting behind me many many times 

On the first paragraph, fair enough and fair play. I have also tried to make my points (my main one being that until thw results are top 6 worthy, the tactics and style will only ever be promising rather than fully justified) as balanced as possible so I dont want it to seem like I am saying that Mowbray is doing a terrible job etc.

I dont know if anyone has suggested that we should have been really defensive sitting back at Watford but that would also imply that we are just going all out attack and that there is no in between. Again I thought that the balance of the midfield was wrong. I also thought that we again were too vulnerable on transition, something that needs to be tweaked if we are to continue this style of play. My personal opinion again goes back to my point in the first paragraph, that there is not a major flaw or problem with the style. It is simply that negative results will cause frustration and indeed I dont think that the current implementation of it, including certain personnel/tactical points that we have touched on and certain weaknesses that will require tweaking makes it quite as efficient as it could be. 

I dont doubt that people hold extreme opinions, on both sides, and of course I dont agree with or endorse them as I mentioned with the relegation predictions. On diving I tend to find that some people are morally repulsed and genuinely dont want to see even our players do it. 

It depends how you define "abuse." 2 people chatting saying that they dont rate a player (regardless of how exactly they put it) is for me certainly not abuse. Nor is reactionary moans and groans that you tend to hear when a chance is missed, an unnecessary backward pass is made or even a referee decision goes against us, thats all part of having thousands of people in a ground desperate to see their team win. What were the people doing?

The thing about people "having it in" for Brereton is that based on his first 2 years a lot of people simply wont rate him because in those years he has not been good enough. Of course when he does do well as he did yesterday then people need to look past their opinion on the player overall and praise where praise is due, and likewise if a player they rate has a poor game.

I also dont get how you can think that anyone who pays money and invests time watching Rovers would genuinely be impacted anything other than negatively by a player performing poorly. Cant be having that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Who would rather that? Name names.

 Nothing more annoying on here when folk come out with stuff like that, equivalent to the perennial ‘some posters on here WANT us to lose’

 

Anybody who's been in my company on a Saturday night when we've lost  would tell you differently !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got this email from a mate of mine:

The last time the Rovers scored more than 16 in the first seven games of a season before this year was in the 1997-98 campaign when they knocked in 18, mainly because of 7 at home to Sheffield Wednesday. Chris Sutton scored 7 in the first 7 that year, a figure that Adam Armstrong has just equalled and other famous names also cracked in 7 in other previous seasons. These are Alan Shearer, Simon Garner, Andy McEvoy, Derek Dougan, Peter Dobing and Tommy Briggs but we have to go back to 1954-55 to find Eddie Quigley scoring 8 in the first 7 games. Roll on Tuesday against Reading when other notable performances may be achieved. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I didnt criticise Mowbray for not including Trybull and Douglas, and I did acknowledge that the absentees made the situation much more difficult. But all managers have some games where they have major unavailability. Mowbray made numerous tactical mistakes with the players at his disposal. Johnson in front of his defence has always been a liability, Evans has always got a nose bleed over the half way line and Gallagher has never been a winger since he had a hole in his arse. 

I did mention that we keep beating the weaker teams but not in the flippant way that you implied. I have referenced that we have battered them in a way we havent done to teams for a long, long time and it is very exciting. Us at our best and/or v the worst teams in the league has been leading to brilliant watches for a Rovers fan. You mention Reading but it is not them at "their best" that is impressive to date, it is the consistency of our results. We are a little bit all or nothing at the moment, only winning when we wallop teams. Im excited about many aspects of our team at the moment, I just will only be totally satisfied when we start picking up top 6 level results consistently.

A couple of 1-0 results against top sides with 11 men would do wonders for my morale!

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few thoughts:

Huge win. We were on a losing streak and we know these can be there to stay at Rovers under TM so breaking that was massive. It also means the positivity and some momentum from the early games, along with the self belief will have got a healthy boost. A win means we can put a few disappointing results behind us and imo mentally changes the perception of things. 

The scoreline reinforces this. A ,1-0 win would have still been good against 10 men but not sure whether that would really boost confidence or help the team focus upwards rather than downwards. 

The new formation suits a lot of players including our midfielders and attackers. It has imo made Bereton into an asset rather than a liability, enables our young attacking talent to shine and suits our current crop of midfielders. 

On that I much prefer the new lad from Norwich to Evans. Early days but seems to have more about him. 

Speaking of Rovers villains what has happened to Williams?!?! Much stronger performances. 

Another high scoring win shows we have the potential for playoffs. This is why the losses are so frustrating. 

There's still some.strong hints of why we imo won't make playoffs but could. We're a tad wasteful up front and make stupid decisions like Gally on the wing. Sure he scored but overall it looks flawed. Things like this hold us back. 

Reading will be a better test of how good we are. I think the squad could break top 6, the talent is there, but unsure whether the manager can get us there. Now that sounds familiar. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 47er said:

Just got this email from a mate of mine:

The last time the Rovers scored more than 16 in the first seven games of a season before this year was in the 1997-98 campaign when they knocked in 18, mainly because of 7 at home to Sheffield Wednesday. Chris Sutton scored 7 in the first 7 that year, a figure that Adam Armstrong has just equalled and other famous names also cracked in 7 in other previous seasons. These are Alan Shearer, Simon Garner, Andy McEvoy, Derek Dougan, Peter Dobing and Tommy Briggs but we have to go back to 1954-55 to find Eddie Quigley scoring 8 in the first 7 games. Roll on Tuesday against Reading when other notable performances may be achieved. 

That season we finished 6th but it preceded a terrible time with relegation the following year.

Let’s hope we get the former and we can worry about the latter at a later date.

That said, the PL is turning into a basket case!

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

On the first paragraph, fair enough and fair play. I have also tried to make my points (my main one being that until thw results are top 6 worthy, the tactics and style will only ever be promising rather than fully justified) as balanced as possible so I dont want it to seem like I am saying that Mowbray is doing a terrible job etc.

I dont know if anyone has suggested that we should have been really defensive sitting back at Watford but that would also imply that we are just going all out attack and that there is no in between. Again I thought that the balance of the midfield was wrong. I also thought that we again were too vulnerable on transition, something that needs to be tweaked if we are to continue this style of play. My personal opinion again goes back to my point in the first paragraph, that there is not a major flaw or problem with the style. It is simply that negative results will cause frustration and indeed I dont think that the current implementation of it, including certain personnel/tactical points that we have touched on and certain weaknesses that will require tweaking makes it quite as efficient as it could be. 

I dont doubt that people hold extreme opinions, on both sides, and of course I dont agree with or endorse them as I mentioned with the relegation predictions. On diving I tend to find that some people are morally repulsed and genuinely dont want to see even our players do it. 

It depends how you define "abuse." 2 people chatting saying that they dont rate a player (regardless of how exactly they put it) is for me certainly not abuse. Nor is reactionary moans and groans that you tend to hear when a chance is missed, an unnecessary backward pass is made or even a referee decision goes against us, thats all part of having thousands of people in a ground desperate to see their team win. What were the people doing?

The thing about people "having it in" for Brereton is that based on his first 2 years a lot of people simply wont rate him because in those years he has not been good enough. Of course when he does do well as he did yesterday then people need to look past their opinion on the player overall and praise where praise is due, and likewise if a player they rate has a poor game.

I also dont get how you can think that anyone who pays money and invests time watching Rovers would genuinely be impacted anything other than negatively by a player performing poorly. Cant be having that.

Standing up the minute Brereton comes off the bench and screaming at Mowbray why are you bringing that donkey on,  many more times people jumping up and screaming you useless donkey at Brereton when it was someone else who lost the ball.

I don't get it either but what else do you call gloating when a player for the team you support plays badly .Then when he does play well fail to give any credit instead say it was "only Coventry" and pretend the good performances he has had this season haven't happened

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a small minority of fans at Ewood and you know it.

Don’t understand this urge to paint Rovers fans as impatient and abusive, Ewood this hostile environment, when we’ve been anything but as a collective this past decade, especially considering the shit we’ve been put through... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Who would rather that? Name names.

 Nothing more annoying on here when folk come out with stuff like that, equivalent to the perennial ‘some posters on here WANT us to lose’

 

IV no problem naming names.Ewood Ace.

Right after the Forest game I was talking about Bradley Johnson in another post, he replies to the post and goes off on a big rant about Brereton and how shit he is.Earlier in the week he wouldn't give any credit for Brereton playing well in the Derby and Wycombe matches.

Last two games Brereton has been our best player over the two games and what he gets in return is "it's only Coventry probably playing against his level" and on the Watford game he just gave him shit over his "diving" totally disregarding every one of those free kicks was a foul regardless wether he went down easy or not so does every other player 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s a small minority of fans at Ewood and you know it.

Don’t understand this urge to paint Rovers fans as impatient and abusive, Ewood this hostile environment, when we’ve been anything but as a collective this past decade, especially considering the shit we’ve been put through... 

IV never said it was a majority.I was specifically replying to roversfan post where he says it's a myth that Brereton gets abuse.It does happen I have heard it and seen it more than once and not just from one group

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s football fans, there will always be a minority of dickheads, I’ll tell you now he would not have got the level of goodwill he’s had here after being so poor for two years at a lot of other clubs - I’m proud of our support on that score.

Edited by Mattyblue
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.