BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Reading at Virtual Ewood

Will forever be an issue under Mowbray:

#Rovers used 27 players across the whole of last season, only three sides in the division used fewer. Aynsley Pears becomes No.26 of this season already, the most in the division. Been an ever-changing picture in these opening eight matches.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

With Rothwell out it’s a toss up between Evans and Buckley. Buckley is still very raw. 

We need squad players like Evans to step up in evenings like these. Time to deliver.

Could have moved JRC into midfield and played Nyambe at right back. I think that would have been the best shout.

Anyway - bringing Evans in is a negative move but playing both Douglas and JRC at full back is very attacking. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

Just now, philipl said:

Over doing the beating up on Evans. 

He was absolute pants in the Forest game but he is usually solid and has been known to have really good games.

Ayala is a puzzle but I guess if he is not 100%, Reading are too physical to risk him. Wharton provided he doesn't start misplacing passes is more than OK. Williams and Lenihan statistically are a very good partnership.

That said the bench has a hint of keeping happy in rotation about it.

Pears will be tested- that's certain.

Can't say that I'm delighted that he's playing, but agree that some of the criticism is OTT. Playing slightly further forward in a three really doesn't suit him though, especially on the left. 

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Can't say that I'm delighted that he's playing, but agree that some of the criticism is OTT. Playing slightly further forward in a three really doesn't suit him though, especially on the left. 

Tony's square pegs in round holes again. Rarely ends well

On 25/10/2020 at 10:27, Biscuitman said:

I set myself up an account just to answer that question(yes we did genuinely used to be known as the biscuitmen rather than the royals)

Our preferred tactic is 4231 but the formation does change in game depending on how we’re doing, for example we got Laurent to sit deeper than Semedo and Rinomhota on Saturday so we became some sort of wide 433. 

We’re very much a counter attacking side who look to frustrate the opposition by allowing them to have plenty of possession. Laurent and Rinomhota sit just in front of our defence and they essentially fill in any gaps that open up(otherwise press the man on the ball) to restrict opponents to half chances and frustrated players taking long shots. This allows one of our fullbacks to push forward and not worry too much about losing the ball, even though both Esteves and Richards are fairly quick themselves so can track back well. Rafael hasn’t really been tested in any of our games although he has proven to be reliable whenever called upon I expect he will be tested on Tuesday. 

Attacking wise we are not particularly good. We try to counter but it’s normally given away straight away especially if someone presses us(we initially struggled to get going against Barnsley and Rotherham because of that). For some reason, we are ridiculously clinical at the moment and there’s question marks over whether that is sustainable. A lot of our goals come from us punishing a defensive mistake from a set piece in particular or these horrible long balls that defences seem to struggle to deal with. We are a quick and physically strong side. Paunovic is still trying to find the answer- he’s only been in the job for two months. 

I do think each of Norwich, Blackburn and Brentford will be a good test to see how good we are defensively, we’ve not really faced anyone with a particularly good attack. We haven’t trialed for a second in the league this season, so if you manage to get an early goal it would be a good test to see what we’re made of. 

Sounds like a win for Reading then.

In isolation Evans starting aint that bad - he isnt going to thump one in from 20 yeards like Jonhson or dribble past 3 players like Rothwell but he will be tidy. I am a bit more concerned about GK. Pears, is he the play it out kind? Anyone seen him play? We already know that Reading are quite clinical, so our second keeper in net is not ideal.