BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town v Rovers Sat 21st Nov. 3pm

30 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Much depends on player availability (again). Defensively we could be struggling. 

Kaminski? Doubt it if he’s in Belgium isolating until Friday.

Nyambe? injured? Play JRC there if Douglas and/or Bell available for left back. 

Williams/Ayala? if neither fit then Wharton again (hope he doesn’t score for them again)

It was Carter who scored the own goal at Luton.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Nothing significant will be decided on Saturday whether we win, lose or draw.

2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Hopefully starting with Luton, but I won't be throwing my hands up in despair for the rest of the season if we don't win.

I hope the manager or the players don't approach any game with such an attitude.

Every game is important at any point of the season although Mowbray's laissez faire attitude sometimes suggests otherwise.

It will be an extremely 'slow build' and a very long 'journey' if we don't go to Luton expecting to win.

39 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Bygones are bygones...just saying...

Fair point, and perhaps only recent history (which isn't good) plays a part in the mindset here, but even then the context is very different as both teams (certainly ours) will be significantly different from the ones that played there last season, and for us that match was effectively a dead rubber whereas for them it was a matter of survival. 

By the same token, looking at the match completely in isolation Luton are above us in the same division, so it cannot in any way be viewed as an easy match.

My point was that there seemed to be a feeling building of, "it's only little Luton, if we can't win that we'll not do anything", but football isn't like that as for 80+ years we've been a bigger / better club than them, yet we're still winless there in 20 league attempts!

We can take nothing for granted. We'll have to work hard & get some luck to earn 3 points on Saturday. But we're absolutely capable of doing it and breaking our hoodoo, of that I have no doubt.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I hope the manager or the players don't approach any game with such an attitude.

Every game is important at any point of the season although Mowbray's laissez faire attitude sometimes suggests otherwise.

It will be an extremely 'slow build' and a very long 'journey' if we don't go to Luton expecting to win.

I'm just trying to give it some perspective, I'm not giving the teamtalk!

This game is not the be all and end all. Yes it's important for confidence, momentum etc and I'm certainly not belittling that. The problem with "expecting to win" is that if we don't win, the supposed consequences of that are magnified beyond reality and it puts additional unnecessary pressure on the next game (it being at Preston is pressure enough). 

The reality is that if we win we're not guaranteed to go up; lose and we're not guaranteed to stay down. It's a marathon not a sprint and there's still 75% of it left to go after Saturday.

This is the right way to think in my opinion; expects ups and downs, keep level headed and maintain some sanity!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

It's up for discussion because they're in the same league as us, next game up, are above us in the table (albeit having had an easier run of fixtures, on paper at least) and we've never won there in the league in 20 or so attempts across various divisions! 

5 points back from 6th at this stage of the season is nothing. Yes that needs to be improved upon but, given our run of fixtures, injuries & illness up to this stage of the season, I'm confident it will be as we enter a period with a lot more winnable games & players returning.

Hopefully starting with Luton, but I won't be throwing my hands up in despair for the rest of the season if we don't win.

Sorry, I mean coming up with excuses (higher in the league, 3 points better off, awful record against them) shouldn't even be up for discussion.

I certainly don't believe we should be rolling right over them (to follow on from one of your posts about people thinking its just little Luton) but if we have any ambitions of getting out of this league, these are the games we must be winning. 

No disrespect to Luton at all, they beat us twice last season, which is why our mentality should be nothing other than going there and coming away with a win and not looking at their league position as an excuse for a poor result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Kaminski

JRC Lenihan Ayala Douglas

Holtby Johnson Rothwell

Elliot Arma Brereton

Pears, Williams, Trybull, Buckley, Downing, Dolan, Gallagher

That first XI is only missing Travis and Dack...much better ???

Luton 1 - Rovers 3

JRC over Nyambe long term?

Who do you think Travis & Dack replace in that first 11?

Plus I think we're allowed 9 on the bench from this weekend.

Edited by MarkBRFC

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Kaminski

Holtby Johnson Rothwell

Elliot Arma Brereton

Luton 1 - Rovers 3

That would be my starting line up but think perhaps Williams probably deserves to keep his place at the expense of one of the other two.

I think we'll win convincingly.

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Ayala out again for Saturday. Jeez, we look to have lucked out there with him don’t we. Can’t say the Boro fans didn’t warn us, but I believe it was ‘ankles’ they kept highlighting. 

Very worrying is that he was given the 'he'll miss one game' treatment, yet hasn't played for a long time now. 

47 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Ayala out again for Saturday. Jeez, we look to have lucked out there with him don’t we. Can’t say the Boro fans didn’t warn us, but I believe it was ‘ankles’ they kept highlighting. 

I honestly fear we have bought a pup. He is 30 now and we gave him a three year deal.

Madness.

• Like 2

He's ex Boro, we sat back and maybe let other targets go whilst he made his mind up. Non of it is surprising we always come up with the goods when certain things apply.

Good player but like a lot of Mowbrays signings we'll be hard pressed to get our moneys worth out of him. 

Edited by tomphil

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Kaminski

Holtby Johnson Rothwell

Elliot Arma Brereton

Luton 1 - Rovers 3

Team above would be my first choice but from Mowbrays comments likely to not have Ayala, Williams, Holtby. Kaminski touch and go too... Probs will end up

Kaminski

JRC Lenihan Wharton Douglas

Buckley Johnson Rothwell

Elliot Arma Brereton

Really should be a win for us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Kaminski

Holtby Johnson Rothwell

Elliot Arma Brereton

Luton 1 - Rovers 3

Williams and Nyambe in for JRC and Lenihan (he's played his way out of the team). 

Must win game this weekend, we need to go on a run having already considerably lagged behind the top 6.

The injury situation is unfortunate although its the same across the board sadly. Teams arent at full strength across the board and a few (Evans, Ayala, Williams, even Nyambe) are just injury prone players and we cant hide behind these too much.

Assuming that Nyambe and Holtby (why is he doing the media if he is unavailable?) miss out and Kaminski is fine to play, would go with:

Kaminski

Rankin Costello Lenihan Wharton Douglas

Rothwell Johnson Downing

Elliott Armstrong Brereton

Subs: Pears, Grayson, Bell, Trybull, Buckley, Davenport, Gallagher, Dolan, Chapman

Edited by roversfan99

1 hour ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

It’s unlucky but maybe Ayala wasn’t up to full fitness when he was rushed in to replace Lenihan and Williams. 

It certainly seems that things are going against us this season. 

Or maybe Tony should have read this board.  I was telling him Ayala was an old crock.....everyone on here bar one or two were proper laying into me....

"He's 29 , not 30!!" they said....

Things go against you when your transfer policy is based on old pals act and lack of contacts in the real football world.

• Like 2

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Or maybe Tony should have read this board.  I was telling him Ayala was an old crock.....everyone on here bar one or two were proper laying into me....

"He's 29 , not 30!!" they said....

Things go against you when your transfer policy is based on old pals act and lack of contacts in the real football world.

If Tony was listening to you he'd have got rid of Dack and brought in Duncan Watmore to replace him

• Like 2