BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town v Rovers Sat 21st Nov. 3pm

5 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

JRC over Nyambe long term?

Who do you think Travis & Dack replace in that first 11?

Plus I think we're allowed 9 on the bench from this weekend.

I think he prefers JRC to Nyambe in the games we are going to have more possession. I like Nyambe but I don’t get the hype.

I think Trav replaces Johnson and Dack when fully fit replaces BB with Arma moving left of the three.

Im not sure we’ll have 9 fit first teamers to sit on the bench tbh! ??

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I think he prefers JRC to Nyambe in the games we are going to have more possession. I like Nyambe but I don’t get the hype.

I think Trav replaces Johnson and Dack when fully fit replaces BB with Arma moving left of the three.

Im not sure we’ll have 9 fit first teamers to sit on the bench tbh! ??

I would start with Nyambe at fullback, with JRC as a more attacking option if required. I agree with Trav replacing Johnson. I would introduce Dack from the bench for any of the forwards that are not producing. If Dack then produces, he keeps the shirt. Then repeat the system.  

All squads can afford to carry an injury prone risk or two. The benefits can outweigh the costs in these situations. What a squad cannot carry is more than a couple of injury prone players. I would suggest we are carrying far too many, which on top of Covid and long term unfortunate injuries is a real killer 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

All squads can afford to carry an injury prone risk or two. The benefits can outweigh the costs in these situations. What a squad cannot carry is more than a couple of injury prone players. I would suggest we are carrying far too many, which on top of Covid and long term unfortunate injuries is a real killer 

Certainly not 2/3rds of you senior centre backs. Liked the look of Wharton though so hopefully his chance to step up and perform.

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think Travis would be more likely to replace Rothwell rather than Johnson, Johnson albeit inconsistent has performed far more than Rothwell and I dont think Travis has the tactical discipline to have Holtby and Rothwell running off around him, I think it would be restrictive.

It's hard to leave either Rothwell or Johnson out.

Our record with Rothwell and Johnson both starting:

P4 W3 D1 L0

Our record without them starting together:

P9 W2 D1 L6

• Like 3

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Lets give him a chance. We did with Ayala for some reason....oh yes, because we were desperate for defenders, any defenders it seems......manager mis managing

Ayala who has averaged over 34 appearances a season over the last 3 years?

Or Whatmore who has averaged less than 15 appearances a season in the same time period?

• Like 5

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Or Whatmore who has averaged less than 15 appearances a season in the same time period?

Im not even saying we should buy him. What on earth are you on about ??

Ayala is a crock, the Boro fans say so.

These 2 things are exclusive

Edited by Sparks Rover

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Im not even saying we should buy him. What on earth are you on about ??

Ayala is a crock, the Boro fans say so.

These 2 things are exclusive

Which centre half would you have gone for then? Presumably with little/no money available.

Sounded like Kipre was first choice, but not sure who else was available within our budget.

57 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

According to Soccerbase he played 167 times for Middlesbrough in six and a half years.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52027

Just now, arbitro said:

According to Soccerbase he played 167 times for Middlesbrough in six and a half years.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=52027

It's 203 appearances when you include sub appearances and cup games. Which is 31.2 games per season - just under the average he's managed over the last 3 seasons.

Not great, but not Whatmore.

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I think the Boro fans said he was available until January then took a few months off and came back in Spring!

Hibernating? ???

My main issue here is that he has a three year deal and has turned 30. His ability is not in doubt for me but three years is too long.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Luton 0-4 Rovers in the FA Cup in 2007?

Unless you’re 13 of course....

Ok ok, league wins.  Did not like Kenilworth road.  Another place lucky to escape without a kicking.  Why oh why did I keep doing that, risking life and limb to go away watching us.

Really hope we beat this lot. We need to be doing if we have serious aspirations. Before the international break all the talk was about getting through the games, having a break and getting bodies back fit. So here we are. Lets crack on. No more excuses.

Last season's defeats to this lot were diabolical - the away one in particular embarrassing.

This lot are everything we aren't. Quite well organised - they don't score many but don't concede many either. A nasty piece of work in the dugout and a team that will use all the tricks in the book to get results including cheating and timewasting all day long. For this reason I hope to god we don't go behind as I suspect that will mean game over. I also hope there aren't complaints about their methods after the game because we know what we are getting having played them very recently.  Remember David Lowe kicking off at the full time whistle after their antics with the disappearing ball boys - the sort of stuff we should be alive to and ensuring they can't take advantage of.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Ayala out again for Saturday. Jeez, we look to have lucked out there with him don’t we. Can’t say the Boro fans didn’t warn us, but I believe it was ‘ankles’ they kept highlighting. 

IMO, we don't help ourselves.

I think the writing was on the wall with his injury record.

A player's ability to stay fit and ready to play has to be a big part of the equation when assessing potential signings - the buck stops with Mowbray.  

Edited by Mercer

From transfer mart:

DANIEL AYALA INJURY HISTORY

Season Injury from until Days Games missed
20/21 Groin Strain Oct 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020 31 days 6Blackburn Rovers
19/20 Ankle Injury Jan 2, 2020 Sep 27, 2020 269 days 6Middlesbrough FCBlackburn Rovers
16/17 Ankle Injury Jul 6, 2016 Aug 20, 2016 45 days 1Middlesbrough FC
13/14 Ankle Injury Feb 2, 2014 Apr 11, 2014 68 days 12Middlesbrough FC
11/12 Ankle Injury Feb 4, 2012 Mar 3, 2012 28 days 5Norwich City
11/12 Knee Injury Aug 25, 2011 Sep 10, 2011 16 days 1Norwich City
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Certainly not 2/3rds of you senior centre backs. Liked the look of Wharton though so hopefully his chance to step up and perform.

Yes especially when we had one in the books who was known to be injury prone. In fact neither of the other two are particularly injury free. 

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Which centre half would you have gone for then? Presumably with little/no money available.

Sounded like Kipre was first choice, but not sure who else was available within our budget.

Surely that's for the manager to sort out rather than Dom! But knowing that we already had injury tendencies in that area made signing an injury prone player even more risky. That's not rocket science. 

The more I think on it, missing out on Bauer has cost us. Tosin was better but on higher wages which perhaps could have been used elsewhere and was only a one season benefit. Bauer would have given us a dependable long term option who was often available, which I'm not sure Ayala is.  This year I am not as sure, although if we had Bauer it wouldn't be a question we are asking.  Missing out on Kipre was a blow, but surely our European scouting network could have found someone of equal ability with a tad more fitness. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, philipl said:

From transfer mart:

DANIEL AYALA INJURY HISTORY

Season Injury from until Days Games missed
20/21 Groin Strain Oct 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020 31 days 6Blackburn Rovers
19/20 Ankle Injury Jan 2, 2020 Sep 27, 2020 269 days 6Middlesbrough FCBlackburn Rovers
16/17 Ankle Injury Jul 6, 2016 Aug 20, 2016 45 days 1Middlesbrough FC
13/14 Ankle Injury Feb 2, 2014 Apr 11, 2014 68 days 12Middlesbrough FC
11/12 Ankle Injury Feb 4, 2012 Mar 3, 2012 28 days 5Norwich City
11/12 Knee Injury Aug 25, 2011 Sep 10, 2011 16 days 1Norwich City

There are a few missing years there or does it imply that he wasn't injured in that time?