Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Although virus cases are falling in Blackburn, they are still double the national average so i would think that Tier 2 would be optimistic unless things change very rapidly in the next day or so.

I'm not clear whether the current restrictions are ending on 2nd December or before i.e. will the new tiers be in place on 2nd? If so and if Blackburn does end in Tier 2 then the game with Millwall on 2nd would be the first chance = otherwise it would be Norwich n 12th.

Rovers have had plans ready for fans to return for several months now but there might need to be approvals from the local SAG to get through.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just been listening to a discussion on the subject on The World At One. They have been following Port Vale throughout the pandemic and they interviewed their Chair again.

She said that the announcement had come as a complete surprise to them and to the EFL. She firstly said that it can't be fair to the competition that some clubs could have 4,000 fans in, others could have 2,000 and others like Port Vale probably nobody.

She then made a separate point that even if they were in Tier 2 and could have 2,000 fans in it would cost them a lot of money for every home game. They would only be letting in season ticket holders who have already paid but would have lots of additional costs including more stewarding to ensure social distancing.

It would be a fair point for Rovers too. Would it be worth letting 2,000 fans in even if we could?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in full agreement with the lady at Port Vale. It should not be allowed that some clubs are able to have fans in and others not.

We'll end up with the likes of Bournemouth, Norwich and Reading being allowed fans in whilst the rest can forget it. Given the starts they have had to the season this may well give them an even bigger advantage in the quest for promotion.

If Rovers are allowed 2000 fans in then of course they should, otherwise 2000 season ticket holders will be asking why they bothered parting with their cash in September. If it costs money to do it then we should have factored that in before putting them on sale. It was always likely to be such at least initially.

Personally speaking I don't think I would take up the option even if it was available to me. I can't envisage me getting any enjoyment sitting alone at Ewood with 2000 others spread out, not being allowed to shout, sing, stand up or go for a pint before or after.

Might as well stay indoors and watch on TV.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Personally speaking I don't think I would take up the option even if it was available to me. I can't envisage me getting any enjoyment sitting alone at Ewood with 2000 others spread out, not being allowed to shout, sing, stand up or go for a pint before or after.

Might as well stay indoors and watch on TV.

Yep, under these circs the reason for going to watch live football is diluted to the point that it isn't remotely enticing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I've just been listening to a discussion on the subject on The World At One. They have been following Port Vale throughout the pandemic and they interviewed their Chair again.

She said that the announcement had come as a complete surprise to them and to the EFL. She firstly said that it can't be fair to the competition that some clubs could have 4,000 fans in, others could have 2,000 and others like Port Vale probably nobody.

She then made a separate point that even if they were in Tier 2 and could have 2,000 fans in it would cost them a lot of money for every home game. They would only be letting in season ticket holders who have already paid but would have lots of additional costs including more stewarding to ensure social distancing.

It would be a fair point for Rovers too. Would it be worth letting 2,000 fans in even if we could?

I read a piece from Mark Palios today and essentially he said that opening their ground for 2000 will cost them a significant amount of money. They have sold that amount of season tickets and that money has been spent. To comply with Covid protocol they have to open every turnstile and employ a lot more stewards to ensure full compliance. He reckons it will cost them up to £10k to do this. He said there would be no food or refreshment outlets open in the ground denying them further income.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that there would be a hit to the integrity (similarly with only now introducing extra subs) of the competition but for me that is not a reason not to deny fans from attending as soon as is allowed. This is such a unique situation and fans havent been at grounds for 8 or 9 months, as soon as it is possible and even if it is not widespread across the leagues. We cant have fans especially considering that they will have bought season tickets to be still unncessarily sat at home in spite of being allowed to attend for fear of a slight advantage to be gained dependant on location. If you are in a Tier 3 area, its unfortunate but the emphasis should be getting as many people in stadiums as is allowed as and when that happens. Any competitive advantage will be blunted with proposals to not allow fans to sing anyway.

Regarding whether it would be "worth" Rovers opening as and when they can have 2k fans in, surely there is no choice, I and a couple of thousand others have purchased season tickets that I expected to be honoured as soon as is possible/feasible. Otherwise they shouldnt have released them on sale to begin with as attendances were always going to be reintroduced with restrictions initially.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing which struck me as strange was the actual ruling which was given a bit more depth on the news last night - those figures of 4000 and 2000 are actually 4000/2000 or 50%, which ever is the lower number.

So, for example, Bournemouth could have 4000 fans in a stadium with a 11,329 capacity - 35% full. However, tier permitting obviously, the same number inside Old Trafford  with a 76000 capacity - 5% full! In what world does this make any sense!?

Edited by windymiller7
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Another thing which struck me as strange was the actual ruling which was given a bit more depth on the news last night - those figures of 4000 and 2000 are actually 4000/2000 or 50%, which ever is the lower number.

So, for example, Bournemouth could have 4000 fans in a stadium with a 11,329 capacity - 35% full. However, tier permitting obviously, the same number inside Old Trafford  with a 76000 capacity - 5% full! In what world does this make any sense!?

I think the point behind it being a finite number rather than a percentage is that inside the grounds are not perceived to be a problem, but travelling to the game and getting to and from the ground and your seat is so they don't want large numbers travelling at this stage.

Agree that it seems very unfair that some Clubs can have fans in and some can't but don't get me started, I don't agree with any of the restrictions generally.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see how you can have one set of home fans at a ground and then no fans in the reverse fixture. It has to be all or nothing.

It’s like only using VAR for one team.

The other question I have is what is the magic number of fans when iFollow is turned off?

If Rovers have 2500 ST holders and are allowed 2000 into Ewood can the other 500 use iFollow? And what about virtual walk-ons? That’s £8 they wouldn’t be getting and the club would financially be worse off.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If this does happen and ST holders are allowed in how will they manage for those who don't turn up? There may be some ST holders who know they can't go so Club needs to bring in a system to allow unused ST seats to be filled.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Council leader is "almost certain" the borough will be placed in tier three when national lockdown restrictions end on December 2.

https://theshuttle.org.uk/leader-responds-to-governments-winter-covid-plan/

Personally don't think we'll see fans in Ewood for most of the season, certainly not until mass rollout of the vaccines.

Edited by danger19_80
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, philipl said:

Tier 3- like an away game at Everton or Newcastle.

OMG..Goodison vertigo! I had that awful feeling of wanting to jump...and that was before John O'Mara took the ball on his chest, let it roll down his leg, hit his toe...and squirt away from him....

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Tier 3 for Lanky and BwD...and most of Northern England.

I think Liverpool and Everton can now have fans on as they're in Tier 2. As is London. 

What tier am I in? Latest Covid rules in England post-lockdown | World news | The Guardian

London being Tier 2 is outrageous. Remember back when the R rate was the ‘key statistic’? Not anymore. It’s all about number of infections over a 7 day period, ignoring the last three days, and the daily trend. Simples!

Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that clubs will loose even more money on opening to accommodate these restricted attendances in the higher leagues. More beneficial to lower league sides whose normal gates are below these restricted levels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rogerb said:

My understanding is that clubs will loose even more money on opening to accommodate these restricted attendances in the higher leagues. More beneficial to lower league sides whose normal gates are below these restricted levels.

If those lower league sides are playing their own home games AND renting their ground to a Tier 3 Champ side.... ?

e.g. Rovers playing at Tranmere... or Barrow ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.