BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Barnsley. Sat 28 Nov 3pm

Still on a high following last night's performance and result, thought we'd better get the next match day thread up and running.

The Tykes are at Ewood on Saturday and have had a topsy turvy start to the season similar to ourselves. They currently sit only 2 points behind us having won three and lost 2 of their last 5 games, the latest being a home defeat by Brentford last night. They would have been tipped by most though to be relegated at the start of the season but appear to be bucking the trend and I expect a tough encounter.

I read an article yesterday that linked Mario Balotelli with Barnsley. He's currently a free agent but whether there's any truth in the story or not, who knows. Perhaps if Big Sam were manager there, the story could have legs.

We need the 3 points in the first of a couple of home games, Millwall to follow midweek, to build on the 4 points gained in the past 2 away fixtures. Were we to finish up with 10 points from that series of 4 games, then perhaps we could start to believe.

COYB!

Edited by darrenrover

Been here many times under Mowbray.

02/02/19 - 2 points off the play offs after 4 wins in a row, we go 2-0 up at Brentford only to lose 5-2, then go on to lose 9 of our next 11 games

23/12/19 - 5 wins from our previous 6 and only 1 point off the play offs, up against second bottom Wigan at Ewood, we draw 0-0 and go 6 without a win.

27/06/20 - After beating one of our nearest rivals we again find ourselves in 7th place, and again 1 point off the play offs with a better goal difference than anyone around us. We then lose our next 3 in a row, two to relegation threatened sides in Wigan and Barnsley and don't threaten again.

History tells us we'll get probably get one or two points from these next two home games, lets see if anything is actually different this time.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Been here many times under Mowbray.

02/02/19 - 2 points off the play offs after 4 wins in a row, we go 2-0 up at Brentford only to lose 5-2, then go on to lose 9 of our next 11 games

23/12/19 - 5 wins from our previous 6 and only 1 point off the play offs, up against second bottom Wigan at Ewood, we draw 0-0 and go 6 without a win.

27/06/20 - After beating one of our nearest rivals we again find ourselves in 7th place, and again 1 point off the play offs with a better goal difference than anyone around us. We then lose our next 3 in a row, two to relegation threatened sides in Wigan and Barnsley and don't threaten again.

History tells us we'll get probably get one or two points from these next two home games, lets see if anything is actually different this time.

I know but history also tells us we get dicked at Deepdale too.

If we feck up the next 2 home games and particularly don't perform, I'll be the first in with hob nailed boots!

Hopefully, we've turned a corner!

• Like 1

To be honest if we beat both Barnsley and Milwall 1-0 with 30% possession, I would take more satisfaction over them wins that the Wycombe, Derby, Coventry & PNE games put together.

Good sides at this level win ugly a lot of the time, something we need to do now. I'm not conviced we have it in us but lets see.

• Like 7

• J*B pinned this topic

For the majority of this season, Mowbray has kept his gob shut about 'bigging up' the opposition. On the odd occasions where he's relented, we've invariably struggled in those games.

For gawd's sake, I hope Mowbray stays completely stum regarding Barnsley and Millwall, let them worry about us and we just go about our business. 

I am pretty confident going into these games if we can keep the key players fit - that's Kaminski, Lenihan, Wharton, Holtby, Rothwell, Arma and (I cant really believe I am saying this) Brereton. If you have those seven out there we look a real handful for any team. Take any of them out and our system looks a bit fragile.

Team for me :

Kaminski

Nyambe    Lenihan    Wharton   Douglas

Holtby    Johnson   Rothwell

Gallagher   Arma    Brereton

Subs : Pears, Carter, Bell, Trybull, Davenport, Buckley, Elliott, Dolan, Chapman

Barnsley are on a decent run, won 4 of the last 6 including beating Watford. So obviously no pushovers. Look like they play pretty direct so Wharton and Lenihan to get their head on it. Really like them as a pairing, makes me much less concerned about aerial bombardment.

Something feels a little bit different this season as the squad is stronger than its been for years. For me it comes down to the manager applying the right approach and not altering much.

These lot will probably come and dig in but score first and earlyish we should go on and win.  Sit back again and we'll go behind again.

Edited by tomphil

27 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

To be honest if we beat both Barnsley and Milwall 1-0 with 30% possession, I would take more satisfaction over them wins that the Wycombe, Derby, Coventry & PNE games put together.

Good sides at this level win ugly a lot of the time, something we need to do now. I'm not conviced we have it in us but lets see.

Yeah I echo this. As enjoyable and comprehensive as our wins this season have been it would be foolish to expect that to be possible every week. We will have to win games ugly if we are going to get anywhere. The Middlesbrough, Cardiff and Luton draws could have been those sort of games where we weren't at our best but had opportunities to snatch the 3 points yet we failed to do it and only got the 1.

Barnsley are an odd side but are one of those that have made life difficult for us over the last few years despite lowly league positions. In seasons gone by they are the sort we have struggled to deal with yet this season we seem to be the opposite way around - we have been very good against the poorer sides and have failed to get results against the better sides.

Two tough away games appearing on the horizon in Brentford and Norwich. If we can get 6/6 at home before then it will take some pressure off those fixtures.

• Like 1

Same team as preston other than swapping Dolan for Gallaher on the wing. Think the goal will have him buzzing again and his pace and trickery will be useful against a packed defense. 

Can see a tight game with them sitting in. Id take a win of any kind. Low scoring 1-0 I think.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Has to be the same team in my opinion, there could be temptations to bring in Johnson, Dolan, Ayala if fit, Elliott etc but I would go same again and have Ayala and Johnson over Carter and Chapman as subs if available. Has to be a game we win, if we fail to we are just again back to square one.

Agreed. The main thing is a win Saturday, has to be the same 11 barring injuries. Games thick and fast, Johnson and Ayala will be needed before too long 

Dolan the perfect impact sub 

The one change I'd be tempted to make would be Johnson for Trybull, just because of his influence in the earlier games of the season. On the fence with that one, but Gally, Wharton should keep their places.

Going off Barsnley's most recent games, looking like we'll have most of the ball once again. Whether it will turn out to be another dominant display or a stodgy draw/ loss by the odd goal remains to be seen. 

• Like 2

We’ve taken 8 out of 12 points from the last four fixtures. When we were full hospital ward, the five games before, we took only 3 points from 15. 

With guys coming back, Tony can choose a very strong 11, & Rovers have what appears to be one of the best benches in the Championship. 

With our next two at home, against two teams below us on the table, we really need to get all six. Especially, with #3 & #6 (Brentford & Bristol) both away the next two games. 

• Like 2

I would start with last night's starting XI. Numerically, our list of absences should be no worse and at least one better than for PNE.

Barnsley are a good footballing side let down by lack of strength in depth. People are saying the Tykes will come and shut up shop but I am not sure they have the personnel capable of doing that. 

If we start out low key, Barnsley will take the game to us and certainly have the players to hurt us. 

Again a high energy start on the front foot is needed from Rovers to avoid any calamities. We should win this one but 'should' doesn't mean we have an automatic right to Barnsley handing us the 3 points gift wrapped with an addition to the goals scored and goal difference columns.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

Mowbray should just say 'right lads, same team, same again please'.

A home banker, a licence to print money, unbelievable you can get Rovers at evens - I'm in for a ton.

Not the slightest worry about the outcome of this game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

A home banker, a licence to print money, unbelievable you can get Rovers at evens - I'm in for a ton.

There'll be a reason why the bookies have the game at evens matey. Our inability to overcome gritty teams who come here meaning business.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

:unsure:

• Like 2