BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Barnsley. Sat 28 Nov 3pm

I actually think Wharton has been solid, not seen him do too much wrong. Barnsley have looked good but they’re not carving us open, just strangling us on the ball really. 
They’re doing well stopping Holtby getting on the ball. 
I actually think Bell has been pretty solid since coming on and was our best forward threat for about 20 mins. 

Someone posted early on in the thread that they’d take a scrappy 1-0 all day and hopefully it’s that kind of day (at worst) 

• Like 5

It was a nothing half from us before the goal. Kudos to Barnsley from figuring out how to stop us from playing.

But that last 3-4 minutes, we showed a glimpse of our attacking threat and Arma's finishing ability. We didnt deserve the lead, Barnsley certainly didnt deserve to go behind. Let's hope we dont sit back in the 2nd half.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

It is for me.  You could have Del passing to his own team but constantly making stupid mistakes......wharton will develop if we trust him.

Riiiiighhhhtttt. Missing my point but we move on. Happy to be in the lead either way.

Ref started with a policy of 'if someone goes to the deck and somebody has even remotely touched them in any way, it's a foul'.

Somewhere around the 30 minute mark he added an addendum - 'unless they're wearing blue and white, in which case even if they were fouled they can bugger off'.

• Like 1

IMO the only player who was decent that half was Bell. 

Putting ourselves under way to much pressure at the back with Barnsley pressing like that. Waiting too long to pass to the next man, and then making poor passes forcing the recipient to use 2-3 touches to get their bearings (in most cases it's Nyambe and Douglas/Bell being forced into trouble).

It would have been better to hammer the ball upfield a few times, give Barnsley a bit of room at the back, and then press them high. Try and turn the table.

Really lucky to be in the lead here

Barnsley have setup perfectly here to nullify us... we are struggling against the 3-4-3 as they've packed the centre of the pitch, which is stopping us from controlling the game through the centre. We look dangerous when Bell and Nyambe are brave and attack down those flanks. Both were very sloppy for most of the first half, which was hampering us considerably.

Given we're 1-0 up now, not sure if we need to change anything around. Barnsley aren't posing us any particular problems, they were just nullifying us quite well. 

• Like 2

What Barnsley have just done there reminds me of how Wigan Warriors used to play under Maguire - they used to go hell for leather for 60 minutes in the hope of blowing the opposition away and coasted the last 20 minutes.

There's simply no way Barnsley can keep that level of pressing up - their manager's head dropped for a reason when we scored. He knows that's a devastating goal to concede with these tactics. 

• Like 1

A good half of football that for me. Barnsley are no mugs and look a decent side.

We have to learn to be patient and soak up whatever the opposition have to offer and have a killer punch when given the opportunity. I think we did that to perfection in the first 45.

Great run and cut back from Nyambe and clinical finish fro Arma.

I'd be more than happy with a relatively boring second half which leaves the same scoreline as now at the conclusion.