BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Barnsley. Sat 28 Nov 3pm

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

I thought Barnsley's formation was 3-4-2-1

You might be right which is unusual...

However when we were struggling first half with their high press, there were often five across midfield harassing our 3. 

This was a reason for Arma dropping deep which then meant we had no out ball by-passing their midfield.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Cracking result in that this is a game we’ve tripped over in on many occasions. Barnsley’s pressing upto 40th minute was unbelievable. But we never became impatient and when we got our chances, boy did we make them pay!

Kaminski and AA on a different planet in terms of ability to effect results. Whilst the likes of Holtby, Rothwell, Brereton, Harvey and dare I say it, Gallagher look ready to decimate opposing teams if they get even a whiff of space in the final third.

The expectation now is of a top 6 finish and I’ve publicly stated my frustrations before. But if we go up to the PL playing like this with a mid table budget 4yrs after Mowbray inherited Coyles shit show of a team, then I think Venkys and Mowbray deserve a lot of credit.

Mowbray has in effect built three teams. One to get out of League one and then another to solidify our place in the Championship. These two teams relied on a direct style. Then thirdly this team which has completely evolved into a free flowing, high press outfit. To build different teams like that is not easy.

I really enjoyed yesterday’s game. Felt like the performance of a team who know what they want. Long may it continue.

Personally I would have saved this type of hyperbole for when we were actually in the play off spots, especially given the amount of time we've actually spent there during Mowbray's tenure.

You should really keep in mind how many times we've been close and then dropped away when it's come to the crunch, since he's been here.

I desperately hope its different this time, and it genuinely feels like it could be with this squad he's built up, but I'll save the 'Mowbray deserves great credit/has built three different teams' stuff until we've spent some actual time in the play offs, not 2 points off in late November having still not beaten a team above us in the league. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Personally I would have saved this type of hyperbole for when we were actually in the play off spots, especially given the amount of time we've actually spent there during Mowbray's tenure.

You should really keep in mind how many times we've been close and then dropped away when it's come to the crunch, since he's been here.

I desperately hope its different this time, and it genuinely feels like it could be with this squad he's built up, but I'll save the 'Mowbray deserves great credit/has built three different teams' stuff until we've spent some actual time in the play offs, not 2 points off in late November having still not beaten a team above us in the league. 

I agree, big talk in November about the PO's is ludicrous. If we're in and around the top 6 in March then we can dream!

• Like 2

My view hasn’t changed in the slightest. We are a 8th-14th team under Mowbray and with this current squad I think playoffs should be a minimum line in the sand and failure in that regard should lead to a managerial change.

Also nothing new in us stringing a few wins together and it does feel like a crest of the wave. But as we know whenever we’re in striking distance of the playoffs we go into a tail spin. This summer in 7th looking good lost 4. Last winter just on the edge of the playoffs don’t win in 6 or 7. Then the 9 defeats in 11 games which was on the back of 4-5 wins.

I truly hope this isn’t another false dawn. The glimmer of hope I’m clinging to is that win was different because we were 2nd best and wouldn’t have won that normally 

• Like 2

Just now, matt83 said:

My view hasn’t changed in the slightest. We are a 8th-14th team under Mowbray and with this current squad I think playoffs should be a minimum line in the sand and failure in that regard should lead to a managerial change.

I'm not Mowbray's biggest fan by any means but out of interest who are the 5 teams/squads you think are better than ours?

I look at the top 10 and I don't think our squad is any better than any of those TBH. There are some strong squads in this division. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I'm not Mowbray's biggest fan by any means but out of interest who are the 5 teams/squads you think are better than ours?

I look at the top 10 and I don't think our squad is any better than any of those TBH. There are some strong squads in this division. 

I don’t think there’s even 5. I’d say the 3 relegated teams after which admittedly close but I look at other teams and I think I’d choose a lot of our lads. 

13 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I don’t think there’s even 5. I’d say the 3 relegated teams after which admittedly close but I look at other teams and I think I’d choose a lot of our lads. 

These are the questions I continually ask myself.

Rovers full squad or Norwich's? - Rovers

Rovers first XI v Bournemouth 1st XI with everyone fit - draw

ditto Watford

Any other club in the division? Nobody immediately leaps out as better than Rovers other than perhaps Reading first XI on a good day.. In fact I wouldn't take any other of the 20 clubs' first team or complete squads over Rovers.

Any suggestions otherwise?

There are four keys to the second half of our season.

1) We reach New Year within 6 points of top (currently 7 behind Norwich with a better GD) so keep level pegging with the top two whoever they are on 1 January.

2) Mowbray doesn't get vertigo and over think things- I don't see Mowbray being capable of achieving promotion through the play-offs so it is top two or bust so far as I am concerned 

3) Travis and Dack recover full pre-injury form and are hungry to make up for lost games

4) We have a decent half season with injuries, suspensions, illness and quarantines. Let's be greedy and say as good as the first half of the season has been bad.

Grant me these four wishes and I would say we have an evens chance of automatic promotion.

Edited by philipl

54 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I agree, big talk in November about the PO's is ludicrous. If we're in and around the top 6 in March then we can dream!

No more ridiculous than some of the posts (not by you)tipping us to be in a relegation struggle when we had 10+ first team players out through Covid and injury

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Last time I recall so many injuries was 99. And a lot of key players then too. 

I think in some way our injuries are less problematic this year because everyone is picking up injuries and isolations due to the pandemic, but it certainly does make it harder. I kept saying I wanted another defender in, and it's not surprising that there we are looking really short. Compare that to midfield, where without Travis and Evans (not that I rate him) we still put out a strong midfield with plenty of options. 

It also doesn't help that Williams, Ayala and Evans aren't exactly known for the excellent fitness record.   

I believe Douglas has had his fair share of injuries previously.

9 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Mowbray hinted as such in his interviews. Why wouldn’t it make sense? 

I don’t have the info to hand on who else came in that summer, but to suggest we just blew £7 million of a budget on one 18yr old player doesn’t make sense.

I know the easy option is to say, yes Mowbray spent it! Mowbrays an idiot! But that shows a real lack of understanding on how football clubs work.

If you've got a real understanding of how Blackburn Rovers work under the Chicken Chokers you're probably in a minority of one.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

No hyperbole. I said IF we went up....IF.

I’d prefer it if people had the maturity to deal with what’s actually going on rather than constantly trying not to enjoy themselves by placing obstacles in front of it. It’s boring that the same people who’ve been hammering BB, SG, Mowbray, Mowbrays signings whilst bigging the likes of Preston etc up are now scrambling around blurting out stuff like “If we don’t go up, I’d sack him”. Almost like some have lost sight of what it is to support their team.

The top and bottom of it is that Venkys patience with Mowbray is paying off. We still have a mid table budget and the money he’s spent is coming good. He’s given more of our academy debuts than any other manager in our history. AA, Dack and Kaminski are outstanding. The way he’s put that team together is great and THEY NOW HAVE TO DELIVER!

So yeah, whilst we’re sharing opinions...the ‘hyperbole’ does you in and incessant fuckin whining has the same effect on me. ✌?

• Like 6

Just now, Paul Mani said:

No hyperbole. I said IF we went up....IF.

I’d prefer it if people had the maturity to deal with what’s actually going on rather than constantly trying not to enjoy themselves by placing obstacles in front of it. It’s boring that the same people who’ve been hammering BB, SG, Mowbray, Mowbrays signings whilst bigging the likes of Preston etc up are now scrambling around blurting out stuff like “If we don’t go up, I’d sack him”. Almost like some have lost sight of what it is to support their team.

The top and bottom of it is that Venkys patience with Mowbray is paying off. We still have a mid table budget and the money he’s spent is coming good. He’s given more of our academy debuts than any other manager in our history. AA, Dack and Kaminski are outstanding. The way he’s put that team together is great and THEY NOW HAVE TO DELIVER!

So yeah, whilst we’re sharing opinions...the ‘hyperbole’ does you in and incessant fuckin whining has the same effect on me. ✌?

I'd prefer it if you had the maturity to not react like a child when someone makes a very valid point that talk of Mowbray 'building three different teams etc' is hyperbolic.

I'll repeat so perhaps you'll understand this time - we've spent 4 games in the play off spots in his 4 yr spell and STILL aren't there yet this season, having also not beaten a team above us in the league. 

If you can't understand that that point, combined with the previous 10 yrs of Venkys owwernship, is going to have an effect on people's view of the current situation then there is no reasoning with you. 

I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say that perhaps he is the man to take us up when we've been in the top 6 for a few weeks, but I will certainly wait a bit longer than when we're 2 points outside of the play offs in late November. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Any other club in the division? Nobody immediately leaps out as better than Rovers other than perhaps Reading first XI on a good day.. In fact I wouldn't take any other of the 20 clubs' first team or complete squads over Rovers.

So why don't we get the results? Why aren't we up there then?

44 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Almost like some have lost sight of what it is to support their team.

And you consistently show no respect to your fellow Rovers supporters many of whom have supported the club through thick and thin for decades longer than you.

(Sorry I'm responding to a post from Paul Mani here. Sorry Cucumber!)

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

And you consistently show no respect to your fellow Rovers supporters many of whom have supported the club through thick and thin for decades longer than you.

You need to quote the original post. I'm guessing this wasn't aimed at the Croucher?

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama