BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tattoos

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Lucky for everyone that you aren't then, whereas the actual employer in this thread has stated it is neither here nor there to their ability to do a job

They often say attitudes define where you stay in life

I guess some folk have standards, and others don't.

20 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Says it all. 

I don't mind discrete ones which are normally hidden by clothing but the full body tattoos covering arms, neck etc are appalling IMO. I don't understand why anyone would do it - they're not attractive and look worse as people get older. I were an employer and someone turned up for an interview covered in tattoos they'd be crossed off the list straightaway. 

Each to their own I suppose.

I think you meant "discreet" Jim! What makes me laugh is that they get more discreet the older the wearer-----in two ways!

First of all they fade as the tattooed one ages, and then they lose their outline as the arm gets fatter and more wrinkly.

At that point they become even more discreet as the wearer opts to wear long sleeves throughout the summer!

All that dosh for nowt!!

Chacun a son gout, vive et laissez vive. 

I do get creeped out by people who get their eyes tattooed or most of their face tattooed. Can't help but wonder if they just need the attention. 

I have never seen the need myself, nor would I even know what to get. I've got four scars on my body anyway, so that's my talking point

• Like 1

On 27/11/2020 at 12:29, oldjamfan1 said:

I don't have any tattoos, although I am actually thinking of getting a couple of mid-life crisis ones done. The Jam on one calf and The Beatles on the other. I did think of having that famous Welsh railway station tattoed on my knob but the guy said he could only fit Rhyl on.

I agree with what Dreams says above about people making snap judgements of heavily tattoed people. My PA is absolutely covered in them but I think it looks great and she shows her 'full sleeve' very proudly on our staff photograph.

Each to their own but I can't get my head around why a pretty girl would do such a thing. 

I once had an employee who was covered in tattoos and had his name on his neck. He was astounded when we first met on the job and I immediately knew his name was Billy. Mind you, the depot was in Lowerhouse, which could have explained his vague astonishment and IQ.

• 1 month later...

I've seen beautiful tattoos or very clever ways of putting prints on the body. I don't have one and I don't plan on getting one "I don't like having commitment with a body ink" I am actually very supportive of tattoos. I do believe that we can judge a book by its cover. I see a very tasteful use of body ink then my initial impression is that this person has good taste in aesthetics. that's it!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TzuyuShing said:

I've seen beautiful tattoos or very clever ways of putting prints on the body. I don't have one and I don't plan on getting one "I don't like having commitment with a body ink" I am actually very supportive of tattoos. I do believe that we can judge a book by its cover. I see a very tasteful use of body ink then my initial impression is that this person has good taste in aesthetics. that's it!

My point of view is that tattoos are a fashion statement. Like all fashion statements it will die the usual death. When I was a kid lots of blokes were walking around in drape jackets, boot lace ties, drainpipes and beetle crusher shoes. Later on we all had shoulder length hair etc. Look at some of the old interviews of footballers in the 1970's, ties were about 5 inches wide as were the lapels on the suits. They all look ridiculous now. The thing about those fashions is when they went past their sell by date we ditched them. With Tattoos it won't be so easy. It's no skin off my nose as long as I'm not expected to get one.

Just as an aside-  when I used to go to Rovers in the early 1960's stepping off the bus at the Boulevard was like going back about 18 months in terms of fashion. That's how far Blackburn was behind Manchester in terms of style. The kids in Blackburn only caught up when national TV music shows like " Top Of The Pops " and " Ready, Steady, Go " etc brought mass styles to the youth market.

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My point of view is that tattoos are a fashion statement. Like all fashion statements it will die the usual death. When I was a kid lots of blokes were walking around in drape jackets, boot lace ties, drainpipes and beetle crusher shoes. Later on we all had shoulder length hair etc. Look at some of the old interviews of footballers in the 1970's, ties were about 5 inches wide as were the lapels on the suits. They all look ridiculous now. The thing about those fashions is when they went past their sell by date we ditched them. With Tattoos it won't be so easy. It's no skin off my nose as long as I'm not expected to get one.

Just as an aside-  when I used to go to Rovers in the early 1960's stepping off the bus at the Boulevard was like going back about 18 months in terms of fashion. That's how far Blackburn was behind Manchester in terms of style. The kids in Blackburn only caught up when national TV music shows like " Top Of The Pops " and " Ready, Steady, Go " etc brought mass styles to the youth market.

Maybe in the UK Tyrone but in some parts of the world Tattoos have been in culture for hundreds if not thousands of years!

A friend of mine had the old-style tattoo in Chang Mai, known as "hand-poked", which is performed with bamboo. The bloke who did it had been tattooing his whole life, his father before him and his father before him. They only did traditional tattoos but it was an art passed down generations. 

Culture shifts and changes. In European culture, particularly Scandanavia, people were having tattoos as far back as the early 200s! Same with Germanic culture, Gaelic culture etc. It was only really the "prune ages" (as I call them) when people decided to become very judgemental on their neighbour did such prejudices come to form. You know, the same era that used to see sex before marriage as a sin, or childbirth outside of marriage as a reason to throw a woman into a mental asylum - that generation.

Fortunately I think we have seen past it now. I think tattoos are here to stay. For good reason as well. 

I'm past being judgemental about it because it's pretty mainstream, especially in the under 45 age group now. I wouldn't reject someone for a job etc if they had tattoos. I've had some pretty un-inspiring youths dropped on me as apprentices and it's always a pleasant surprise to see them thrive as they gained experience. Working in a school taught me the younger generation has loads to offer and they are certainly no worse than my generation at a similar age. They're just different. 

• Like 1