BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Millwall. Wed 2nd Dec 7.45pm

4 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Shocking that the referee allowed it. I did wonder about the passing - as some of the misplaced passes were school boy errors.

Holtby's blind passes where he plays the ball with the slightest of glances is usually devastatingly effective in launching Rovers forward but last night were all inch perfect to Millwall players.

I don't have the quickness of eye of a professional sportsman but I realised during the Millwall match that I must be instinctively looking for the pattern of a colour and white halved shirt when watching Rovers games. I was sub consciously seriously resenting having to concentrate on whether it was green or blue halves- two adjacent colours on the chromatic spectrum- particularly that shade of turquoise cum off green Millwall were wearing.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Yoogo said:

Yes, there were a couple of worries, of course, but I'm generally happy.

In the bigger picture, I think Bell is third choice left-back behind Douglas and JRC. Last night, he was dreadful, lethargic, no urgency in trying to block crosses, etc. I noticed at one point that Lenihan gestured to Bell "that's three times". Romeo is a very good player, but he had a field day with Bell. It's par for the course.

Ayala got caught for Millwall's goal, and Nyambe had to cover two positions in his stead while their player ran at the thin defence. Ayala is quite slow, although I don't mind too much if he's a solid defender (which he generally seems to be). I think you're right about his match-fitness, but at the end of the day, we did the ugly stuff and stayed solid, so it's a bonus that Ayala has a game under his belt.

Fair comment

6 hours ago, philipl said:

Never ever let a team play at Ewood in halves with white in it again!

Hated that visual clash with a passion and I wonder if some of our unusually wayward passing was because of the clash.

I believe our passing accuracy last night was something like 10% down on what it normally is.

Agree - although I do also wonder if that helped a little with the late handball shout. Certainly, on the first reply they showed I was fairly certain that it was their player that had handled the ball, and it was only on the 3rd viewing that I could tell it was Lenihan. I wonder if the ref, even if he saw the handball, decided not to give it as he couldn't be 100% certain which 'white sleeved player' had actually touched it?

• Like 4

• Backroom
17 hours ago, Butty said:

I can’t remember one bit of quality Buckley has showed in any of his appearances so far this season, I’d limit his game time and send him out on loan in January. 

You've not been watching the same games as me then. Plenty of defence splitters and an absolute pearl of an assist in (I think) the Wycombe game.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

Agree - although I do also wonder if that helped a little with the late handball shout. Certainly, on the first reply they showed I was fairly certain that it was their player that had handled the ball, and it was only on the 3rd viewing that I could tell it was Lenihan. I wonder if the ref, even if he saw the handball, decided not to give it as he couldn't be 100% certain which 'white sleeved player' had actually touched it?

Which is made all the more hilarious by the fact that the referee himself made the final call to allow the kit clash to occur. Millwall have a red and white third kit which may have been better, or they could’ve worn last years away kit maybe. But in general their home kit with the green shorts would’ve been a much better option

37 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You've not been watching the same games as me then. Plenty of defence splitters and an absolute pearl of an assist in (I think) the Wycombe game.

Buckley's biggest problem is the hype surrounding him. I think people's expectations are raised as a result. At the moment I would only put him as promising, possibly (strange as it may sound) the type of player that would do better at a higher level.

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveyB said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18918200.mowbray-amazed-referee-sanctioned-millwall-kit-choice/

Not the best of performances but a good 3 points against a dogged Millwall team. I thought that Kaminski was rather very erratic last night, it's probably the worst game I have seen him have. Bell was very poor defensively as was Ayala who with a better ref could have cost us two penalties. Lenihan was very solid although he could also have quite easily conceded a penalty as well. Nyambe was good defensively and a danger going forward. 

Johnson again showed his importance to the team last night what a brilliant tackle to start the counter for the winner, it's these sort of games where he shows how valuable he is, as against sides like Millwall Holtby never really seems to fancy it. Holtby's performances have been a disappointment for me this season with the exception of Derby the only times he has controlled and dictated the midfield has been against 10 men. Elliott is a class act by far the most talented player the club has had since relegation from the Premiership. I did feel sorry for Gallagher last night he earnt himself a place in the starting line up but the role he was given just did not and never will suit him, if he is going to play then he has to play through the middle. 

I didn't think the triple subbed helped us originally as after it I though we looked disjointed but in the end good work from Downing and Rothwell contributed to the winner. As for Buckley I'm now sure what he role was exactly but not for the first time he looked like a lost boy out there.

22 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Not the best of performances but a good 3 points against a dogged Millwall team. I thought that Kaminski was rather very erratic last night, it's probably the worst game I have seen him have. Bell was very poor defensively as was Ayala who with a better ref could have cost us two penalties. Lenihan was very solid although he could also have quite easily conceded a penalty as well. Nyambe was good defensively and a danger going forward. 

Johnson again showed his importance to the team last night what a brilliant tackle to start the counter for the winner, it's these sort of games where he shows how valuable he is, as against sides like Millwall Holtby never really seems to fancy it. Holtby's performances have been a disappointment for me this season with the exception of Derby the only times he has controlled and dictated the midfield has been against 10 men. Elliott is a class act by far the most talented player the club has had since relegation from the Premiership. I did feel sorry for Gallagher last night he earnt himself a place in the starting line up but the role he was given just did not and never will suit him, if he is going to play then he has to play through the middle. 

I didn't think the triple subbed helped us originally as after it I though we looked disjointed but in the end good work from Downing and Rothwell contributed to the winner. As for Buckley I'm now sure what he role was exactly but not for the first time he looked like a lost boy out there.

I disagree on Kaminski. Thought he did well, one bad pass early on.

I'm a big fan. He punches a lot, sometimes when he should catch. I think some may see that as erratic and in some sense they are right.

But the key for a goalkeeper is he is being decisive, a few last night hencouldve caught but he got good distance on the punches. If that's what works for him i dont mind it too much.

• Like 1

The referee sanctioned their kit before KO in which case Kaminski should have worn all purple. Why are modern referees displaying such stupidity? That chap is thick from the neck upwards. Is it any wonder us fans get angry with most of them. They display total incompetence.

Glad of 6 points from two games we didn't deserve to win. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The only thing that puzzled me was what I thought was an appalling triple substitution on 73 mins. 1-1 at home and we bring off two forwards (Gallagher and Elliott) and arguably our most creative midfielder in Holtby and bring on another 3 midfielders. I also thought Gallagher and Elliott were two of our slightly better performers on the night

I have to say that I felt similarly at the time, especially re Gallagher & Holtby. However it is also worth noting that it was those 3 midfielders (Buckley in winning possession (in tandem with Johnson), Rothwell in carrying the ball forward, then Downing in carrying it across the box) who combined to bring about the winner.

Mowbray could quite legitimately argue that his choice of subs turned 1 point into 3. 

I wholeheartedly agree on everything that's been said about the kit clash, and how pleasing it is that we appear capable of grinding out victories in attritional matches as well as turning on the style in "easier" games.

Bring on Brentford, that promises to be a bit of a humdinger end to end affair which will better suit our 433. Hopefully we can remain solid at the back & do some damage on the break.

• Like 1

Very frustrating game to watch when players you know can do so much better aren’t performing. I’m a big Johnson fan and he was annoying the hell out of me last night.

Millwall were robbed really, but we know how that feels and happy to me on right side of it this time and 3 points.

Its funny because I know full well we will prob lose a minimum of around 6/7 games still, we will draw games we could of won, we will prob get another last min winner and also lose in last minute. All sorts of bad stuff is coming our way, and it will hurt at time, but just need to remember that and hope we can come out on top at end of it and with team we have, I’m thinking we have a chance.

8 hours ago, philipl said:

Holtby's blind passes where he plays the ball with the slightest of glances is usually devastatingly effective in launching Rovers forward but last night were all inch perfect to Millwall players.

I don't have the quickness of eye of a professional sportsman but I realised during the Millwall match that I must be instinctively looking for the pattern of a colour and white halved shirt when watching Rovers games. I was sub consciously seriously resenting having to concentrate on whether it was green or blue halves- two adjacent colours on the chromatic spectrum- particularly that shade of turquoise cum off green Millwall were wearing.

I recently started playing again, 7 a side. Played a couple of times before lockdown, the lads just come in whatever shirts they want and we randomly pick sides. Both times, nearly everyone has come wearing black (not me, I sport my Rovers shirt). First time we got away with it because we got bibs from the sports centre. Idiotically, everyone came in black again the second time but this time no bibs.

Every time I got the ball I just felt like I was surrounded. I don't even know most of the lads that well yet so it was nearly impossible for me to pick a pass quickly enough. The first game with bibs, I played well and my passing and reading of the game was a big part of it. Without the bibs I was fucking awful (some other factors too but definitely exacerbated by not knowing at a glance who and where my teammates and the opposition were).

I was so pissed off I went and bought some bibs for next time we play.

Watching Rovers last night quickly reminded me of that game. I can imagine that even our professionals had a similar experience. It's fucking hard work in a game that relies on reading everybody's position and movement quickly. Not sure it can have helped Millwall either tbf.

7 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Johnson was absolutely woeful in the first half, he could barely move, not surprised it sounds like he was injured.He did improve second half, as usual, but I was still shocked to see him stay on after we brought on 3!!!!! central midfielders.

Much prefer the Rothwell-Trybull-Holtby balance

He never has good first halfs. He would be brilliant off the bench with a 2-1 lead, 20mins to go, when he can come on and kick and head everything in sight.

Edited by Fraserkirky

16 hours ago, JoeH said:

Which is made all the more hilarious by the fact that the referee himself made the final call to allow the kit clash to occur. Millwall have a red and white third kit which may have been better, or they could’ve worn last years away kit maybe. But in general their home kit with the green shorts would’ve been a much better option

Or like in times gone by, the ref could of insisted that either we played in our 2nd kit or Millwall could of borrowed it. Both of these have happened at Ewood in the past. Wednsday's kit clash should never have been allowed but if it was then Mowbray could have Rovers change at halftime, just like Fergie did with Manc Scum at Southampton.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Buckley's biggest problem is the hype surrounding him. I think people's expectations are raised as a result. At the moment I would only put him as promising, possibly (strange as it may sound) the type of player that would do better at a higher level.

Reminds me of when we signed Lee Makel. A good player who had great difficulty playing like the new Gazza

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Johnson was absolutely woeful in the first half, he could barely move, not surprised it sounds like he was injured.He did improve second half, as usual, but I was still shocked to see him stay on after we brought on 3!!!!! central midfielders.

He never has good first halfs. He would be brilliant off the bench with a 2-1 lead, 20mins to go, when he can come on and kick and head everything in sight.

He had a half-decent one at Derby.......

8 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

We don't score the winner without Johnson on the pitch none of Rothwell, Trybull and Holtby would be making the tackle that he did to start the counter attack. With Travis out injured Johnson is our only midfielder who likes the physical side of the game. A midfield of Rothwell, Trybull and Holtby lacks any real physicality. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

We don't score the winner without Johnson on the pitch none of Rothwell, Trybull and Holtby would be making the tackle that he did to start the counter attack. With Travis out injured Johnson is our only midfielder who likes the physical side of the game. A midfield of Rothwell, Trybull and Holtby lacks any real physicality. 

Yeah point taken, but when he spends the first half of the game the other night not even remotely close to the opposition to impose that physical side of the game, we tend to get overan, like we did. 

I think its more of an athleticism problem rather than a physical one, hence the need for Rothwells legs. Trybull, havent made my mind up yet.