BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Millwall. Wed 2nd Dec 7.45pm

23 hours ago, tomphil said:

I can see a similar game to Saturday with another of the divisions well established hard grafting sides. As always if we get out of the blocks early and get a lead we should likely win comfortably. 

Longer it goes though i can see us having to come from behind so another tough day at the office. We won't ride the luck again like Saturday too often without losing.

2-2

I Kind of see the game being the opposite to Saturday but equally the same.

I picture more the Nottingham Forrest/ Cardiff game. I don't see Milwall coming with the High press but i worry for the counter.  Pressing hard will be key for us.

• Like 2

I have been impressed throughout our plague of injuries, Mowbray has managed to put midfielders out that have been productive. We haven’t had arguably our two best (Dack & Travis) yet we’ve managed to stay afloat. 

This game is tremendously important- it comes after a run of points, it’s at home (not very meaningful during the pandemic), and it is before a couple of tough roadies. Rovers have played like a team seeking a playoff place, I expect them to do it again Wednesday. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bboy said:

I Kind of see the game being the opposite to Saturday but equally the same.

I picture more the Nottingham Forrest/ Cardiff game. I don't see Milwall coming with the High press but i worry for the counter.  Pressing hard will be key for us.

And not conceding free kicks around the area. Millwall are deadly with them.

• Like 1

If we have any realistic ambition, our season will be defined by results - not how we play, been there, done that - against the best teams in the division.

It won't be a disaster if we don't beat Millwall. Teams lower down the table have shown us respect this season by setting up simply to contain us.

We need to earn the same respect against Brentford, Norwich, Bristol City etc.

And that means beating them.

I reckon we can.

1 hour ago, Tabula Rasa said:

If we have any realistic ambition, our season will be defined by results - not how we play, been there, done that - against the best teams in the division.

It won't be a disaster if we don't beat Millwall. Teams lower down the table have shown us respect this season by setting up simply to contain us.

We need to earn the same respect against Brentford, Norwich, Bristol City etc.

And that means beating them.

I reckon we can.

Good point. Millwall will be tough to beat. We all expect that. If they succeed and take a result away from Ewood their approach will be justified and I hope Mowbray doesn't moan about it. Instead he should take some tips from them and then take that into our upcoming tough fixtures. A point against Millwall followed by draws v Brentford, Bristol and Norwich won't be terrible, infact it will show a new side to our game, however bemoaning struggling to break down a resilient Millwall followed by limp defeats in the next few will be dreadful.

Johnson has to play. Changed our game against Barnsley, took some proper control of that midfield and against Millwall we need the "soldiers" to coin Tony Mowbray's phrase. Give Tom Trybull a rest. Other than that I don't see the need to tinker too much. Bell is going to have to play left-back with Douglas out til the weekend, and then its a toss up between Wharton and Ayala really. 

Feeling a Holtby goal.

19 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Johnson has to play. Changed our game against Barnsley, took some proper control of that midfield and against Millwall we need the "soldiers" to coin Tony Mowbray's phrase. Give Tom Trybull a rest. Other than that I don't see the need to tinker too much. Bell is going to have to play left-back with Douglas out til the weekend, and then its a toss up between Wharton and Ayala really. 

Feeling a Holtby goal.

Game is tailor made for Johnson and Ayala, although I wouldn't advocate dropping Wharton if he's made a complete recovery. 

Mowbray seems to be hinting that Douglas will probably be fit, but I'd be very comfortable playing Bell for this game. With the schedule coming up and a couple of little question marks over Douglas' ability to play so many games back to back, Bell's going to get into the team at some points during the season. Might as well play him now and give Douglas a few more days to recover. 

Again I am not really comfortable with changing the team too much to try and counter the opposition or indeed the stereotype of an opposition or making individual selections, but I think that Johnson and Gallagher may come in more based on their individual performances, Trybull has possibly not done enough to guarantee a start over the previously impressive Johnson upon his return whilst Elliott has been quieter recently although even when he is quiet he seems to regularly make a very good pass a game (Dolans goal v Preston and Armstrong v Barnsley) in the build up to a goal. But Gallagher is deserving of a start I would suggest.

Wharton may be very unlucky as his 4 starts were very good, but you would imagine that Ayala will be in the team for good (until his next injury) if he regains his place tomorrow, rather than keeping Wharton's place warm. We have had a situation at centre back whereby a selection headache seems to always be avoided, one centre back gets injured whilst another returns, usually between Ayala, Lenihan and Williams before Wharton had a chance to prove that he was a fourth competent option there.

Bell being selected is not ideal, but the cost of Douglas worsening his injury and having Bell in the side for a run of games would be worse.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, @roverseas said:

Need a Big W here as our next couple of matches will be tough nuts to crack.  Never liked playing Millwall as I am not sure which Millwall will turn up.  Happy to hear Douglas is in line to remain at LB (albeit Bell did a good job on the weekend) - match preview 

Douglas is out

7 minutes ago, Rochdale_rover said:

His injury is a low grade hamstring and better than it could have been but he's said in other interviews it'll be weekend at the earliest till he's available for selection