BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

3 hours ago, 47er said:

In two minds here-----talented beyond belief as a youngster, but left us at a terrible time, never fulfilled his potential at Manure, eternally injured and we have enough of them.

Would be interested to see how it worked out but can't warm to it somehow.

Think he'll want Premier league anyway.

Left a bad taste in my mouth too (He is a Rovers fan though..Hahahaha)

34 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Yup. Rocket science it isnt. 

Has anyone actually asked Mowbray, "This Gallagher on the wing nonsense- wtf?" I wonder what his response would be if challenged directly about this weird blind-soot everyone else seems able to see, but not the bloke picking the team..

We don’t get the local media asking actual probing questions here. 

‘Pressers’ are usually just a collection of gentle throw downs like ...

’Any fresh injuries Tony?’

’how close to turning the corner do you think you are?’

‘do you think your performances aren’t getting the results you deserve?’

’How impressed are you by [enter opposing manager here] ‘

• Like 1

Swiss Ramble posted a thread with an interesting set of charts comparing gross and net transfer spend across the PL and Championship over the past 5 years:

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1340985406922354688

Rovers very much near the bottom. This is covering 2014-15 to 2018-19, so it more covers our 'lean' latter years in the Championship + L1, and then you can see the +£8m net spending boost for our first year back in the Championship. Including 19-20 would change things a bit with a net spend of ~£1.5-2m (Gallagher - Raya - Nuttall), but not drastically so. A comparison of only 18-19 + 19-20 vs the rest would probably be more interesting from our perspective.

Obviously have to also consider wage expenditure, how much of that spend by relegated clubs turned into an anchor, probably misleading to go so far back for a couple of those former PL clubs, etc etc etc, but anyway, though it was an interesting visual of the gulf in spend between PL clubs, recently relegated clubs, and Championship clubs!

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Prelude said:

Man Utd are trying to loan out Phil Jones and apparently willing to pay most of his wages. Gotta be worth an enquiry at least? 

Nah. Way to injury prone. Probably why utd will pay most of his wages as its the only way they will generate interest 

7 hours ago, Prelude said:

Man Utd are trying to loan out Phil Jones and apparently willing to pay most of his wages. Gotta be worth an enquiry at least? 

28 years old with bags of experience, personally I'd have him back. If he could stay fit it'd certainly bolster the defence.

Would he come to a mid-table Championship team, nah.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Cannot believe people would say no to Jones after watching William's & Lenihan this season. Even injured he's still better than them 👍

We could put a one legged Phil Jones wearing a Pudsey Bear costume on his own in the centre of defence and it'd be an upgrade.

1 hour ago, booth said:

We could put a one legged Phil Jones wearing a Pudsey Bear costume on his own in the centre of defence and it'd be an upgrade.

LOL, I saw that you had replied and knew you would agree and came here to write, that I would play a one legged Jones before Lenihan and William's. Haha, great minds. 

Half a season, can stay at home and gets to play for his 'club', it is worth an ask, the worst answer is no and on we move. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Half a season, can stay at home and gets to play for his 'club', it is worth an ask, the worst answer is no and on we move. 

Agreed.

Apparently though that thinking only applies to players, we can't possibly ask any other manager if they would like to manage us as no-one could possibly ever be interested! 

Perish the thought Mowbray said he was leaving or going somewhere else. By the logic of some on here we'd just have to fold the club and turn the lights off it would all be over.

Maybe a few would feel better if he got another 2 or 3 year extension to his present deal ?

I'm sure it'll come up at some point in the near future hence his relentless long term marginal gain waffle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agreed.

Apparently though that thinking only applies to players, we can't possibly ask any other manager if they would like to manage us as no-one could possibly ever be interested! 

Jones is versatile, TM will love him haha. 

I wonder what Jack would say to that! 

No let's not ask Kenny, he's too good for us... 

I'm OK with Mowbray for now but expect improvements during the Xmas period. That could change quickly though if results don't improve. 

On 21/12/2020 at 11:51, Yoogo said:

Doubt there's any chance of that after Mulgrew showed his annoyance at the club's management on social media.

We can't rely upon Ayala staying injury-free, although he's supposed to return for Saturday's game. It sounds as though both Williams and Wharton will be sidelined well into January, so an early loan for a central defender would be ideal.

I got the impression that Wharton won't play again this season. Or at the beginning of next season. That's if there is a next season.

That's disappointing news, but please keep it quiet and don't let the FM dude know as it will change in the game. I love FM and have been playing since the Amiga, getting rovers promoted is child's play, but once up Jones is always one of my no. 1 targets. Him supporting rovers means he will talk and I can get a 150 ca CB, who is home grown for the UEFA Cup.