Jump to content

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Exactly this. Chapman has freed a 1st team squad place up, so we may see a defensive loan come in.

In the meantime, Mowbray will be crossing his fingers on Travis returning, Ayala getting fitter, and Douglas miraculously being able to run. Risky business though, with some difficult games coming up in January.

Not sure about this.

Isn't Chapman under 23 so isn't counted in the 25 senior slots?

Genuine question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. Danny Fucking-Murphy

He’s probably fed up of being sent to Middlesbrough every week.

Branthwaite is the sort of 'back to reality' signing we're used to here after talk about Whiteman and Pickering (Christ, players from Crewe and Doncaster are now out of our reach).  Short term ch

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Crooke running a story now on Lancs Live saying we have contacted the baggies about Kipre.

I would say that ones very likely to happen. The only reason it won't is if Sam looks at another defensive collapse by them last night and thinking he might be able to do a job, or of course Kipre himself gets a better offer.....

Have to ask.

Is Kipre the man if Sam sees no place for him at Baggies after leaking 9 in 180 minutes... ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, philipl said:

Have to ask.

Is Kipre the man if Sam sees no place for him at Baggies after leaking 9 in 180 minutes... ?

Big Sam came out saying they needed to spend money on players who were “better” than they have currently...I think Kipre is a shoe in to come to Rovers. I also think if he comes and Sam performs his usual great escape then he’ll probably end up signing on a permanent deal in the summer.

Edited by Paul Mani
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, philipl said:

Have to ask.

Is Kipre the man if Sam sees no place for him at Baggies after leaking 9 in 180 minutes... ?

That's the bit I don't quite understand. Their defence is shocking and has been all season yet not once have either Billic, or up to now Allardyce given him a shot. He played for their u23 team last game which as far as I can see is his only game time at all for the club. Unless Allardyce has come in and seen he's not match fit so giving him some games for the u23 team to get him up to speed now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Rubbish. Any manager worth his salt would get over himself and do what was in the best interests of the club he manages. That would be bringing him in (IF the manager believed he was what we needed) and not childishly stroking his bruised ego. What happened in the summer happened in the summer, we need a manager who bases his decisions on what the needs are for the second half of the season. 1

Ya right. You think a player did that to Alex Ferguson or numberous other managers they would go back? In that instance we would be talking about a good player, now we are discussing a guy that can't make the WBA bench. 

Get over yourselves and move on. Your transfer suggestions are as predictable and boring as a Mowbray Middleborough raid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hardly predictable and boring to suggest we may sign a player we tried to get in the summer, in a position we are desperate, who can't get at a game at his current club, and who is now playing under a manager who didn't sign him. 

Seems entirely logical. The fact he turned us down is irrelevant. I hope Mowbray isn't that sensitive to rejection! He's in the wrong job if he is - "ooh that Kipre turned me down last summer, I can't even look at him"😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's hardly predictable and boring to suggest we may sign a player we tried to get in the summer, in a position we are desperate, who can't get at a game at his current club, and who is now playing under a manager who didn't sign him. 

Seems entirely logical. The fact he turned us down is irrelevant. I hope Mowbray isn't that sensitive to rejection! He's in the wrong job if he is - "ooh that Kipre turned me down last summer, I can't even look at him"😂

Ayala also turned us down in the summer too as he sought a better deal elsewhere. When his big money move to the Middle East fell through we signed him. Any of us would do the same as Kipre did to better himself. 

And beggars can't be choosers 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://the72.co.uk/208452/cedric-kipres-west-brom-omission-becomes-clearer-after-bilic-departure-ex-wigan-athletic-man-wasnt-his-signing/

This might explain his lack of game time under Billic....

Someone who can play at centre half and right back would be a perfect fit given our predicament, so all things considered I'd take a punt on him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya right. You think a player did that to Alex Ferguson or numberous other managers they would go back? In that instance we would be talking about a good player, now we are discussing a guy that can't make the WBA bench. 

Here are a couple of examples from Rovers history that shows this would not being anything new:

Example 1 - Craig Short. Back in the days of King Kenny he turned down a move to high-flying premiership Rovers to...Derby County in the championship. He eventually made it to Ewood and was a stalwart at the back for years under a number of managers. Even was a coach for us at one stage.

Example 2 - Jason McAteer. Turned down Rovers after being very close to a deal to join Liverpool. I'm not sure we were too bothered about that when he scored at Turf Moor in our first match against the dingles for almost two decades.

So, I'm sure Kipre would be just fine. It's not a transfer suggestion of mine (I don't have any. Why would I? I doubt Mowbray reads brfcs.com) but I'm just saying that we'd be cutting off our nose to spite our face if we were turning players down just because they signed a better deal with another (premiership) club like we all would.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He went back on his word after delaying the deal for weeks and any manager worth his salt will tell him to do one. 

Did he? I don't recall ever seeing anything to suggest he told someone at Rovers that he was definitely coming here. We offered him terms, he found a better deal. Things change in a few months 

The Sir Alex comparison is daft anyway, this is Mowbray's mid table Rovers, of course players are going to hold on for a better deal elsewhere before totally commiting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well we only sign 1 cos we already had 3 here at the club. Plus Williams never moved on as we rumour in the summer. 

Wharton is a big miss for me

But two of the three, Lenihan and Williams, had a long history of missing games through injury and Lenihan has a history of missing game because of suspensions. We got lucky that Wharton stepped up to the plate. Signing another centre half with a long history of keeping the physios on overtime was a mistake. Anybody can get injured at any time, that's part of football, but signing injury prone players and expecting them not to continue to be injury prone isn't too smart.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kipre needs games and we can pretty much guarantee him a starting place. It would be his to lose as we are down to the bare bones. Personally think it makes more sense than going for a young player from one of the ‘big’ north west clubs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

But two of the three, Lenihan and Williams, had a long history of missing games through injury and Lenihan has a history of missing game because of suspensions. We got lucky that Wharton stepped up to the plate. Signing another centre half with a long history of keeping the physios on overtime was a mistake. Anybody can get injured at any time, that's part of football, but signing injury prone players and expecting them not to continue to be injury prone isn't too smart.

Lenihan's injury record has improved. Barely missed any game time. 

Yet I didn't see anyone post who we need another centre back after we signed Ayala

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lenihan's injury record has improved. Barely missed any game time. 

Yet I didn't see anyone post who we need another centre back after we signed Ayala

As usual we'd left it to late by then. Considering you always play with two centre halves, sometimes three, just having four starters on the books is rarely enough. In my book if you don't get suspended at least once a season you aren't doing the job properly. Then we compound the mistake by sending Magloire out on loan when he looked the part, and a better bet, than Carter, in the game at Leicester.

But it's ok to have a full teams worth of mid field players ? 

Crazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've no idea how good those lads from Liverpool, City or Everton are, but we're above them all in the table so are they gonna be THAT much better than our own youngsters? I'd prefer a bit more experience personally although appreciate someone that fits that bill may not be so easy to find.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

https://the72.co.uk/208452/cedric-kipres-west-brom-omission-becomes-clearer-after-bilic-departure-ex-wigan-athletic-man-wasnt-his-signing/

This might explain his lack of game time under Billic....

Someone who can play at centre half and right back would be a perfect fit given our predicament, so all things considered I'd take a punt on him.

Fits the bill nicely if he can play both RB and CB. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lenihan's injury record has improved. Barely missed any game time. 

Yet I didn't see anyone post who we need another centre back after we signed Ayala

I said it at the time you didn't need to be a genius to work out that Ayala, Williams and to a lesser extent Lenihan aren't the most reliable when it comes to fitness. We were always going into the season a centre back light.

On 13/09/2020 at 19:40, Ewood Ace said:

Ayala is a good player but even if he signs we will still need another centre back

 

On 16/10/2020 at 18:00, Ewood Ace said:

On paper it looks like a good transfer window, although I'd have rather seen another centre back come in than another keeper. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t see us bringing in a Liverpool defender because they’d be too tentative to let any go. The main options for us on defenders are Harwood-Bellis at City and potentially Brainthwaite at Everton. 

Both are good defenders, have first team Premier League or European experience and would definitely aid us.

If we bring in two I’d happily see Kipré and THB. Think two is a necessity however. I wouldn’t want to be relying on Kipré, who’s played barely any football and doesn’t want to be here. Risky to only sign one if its him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Here are a couple of examples from Rovers history that shows this would not being anything new:

Example 1 - Craig Short. Back in the days of King Kenny he turned down a move to high-flying premiership Rovers to...Derby County in the championship. He eventually made it to Ewood and was a stalwart at the back for years under a number of managers. Even was a coach for us at one stage.

Example 2 - Jason McAteer. Turned down Rovers after being very close to a deal to join Liverpool. I'm not sure we were too bothered about that when he scored at Turf Moor in our first match against the dingles for almost two decades.

So, I'm sure Kipre would be just fine. It's not a transfer suggestion of mine (I don't have any. Why would I? I doubt Mowbray reads brfcs.com) but I'm just saying that we'd be cutting off our nose to spite our face if we were turning players down just because they signed a better deal with another (premiership) club like we all would.

Both these examples fall down by the fact that of the time of their eventual arrival Rovers had changed manager and in some cases several times. They are not the case where the same manager returned for a player who had changed his mind and signed for another club

Link to post
Share on other sites

Of our current defenders I would keep Nyambe. Everyone else has been a complete letdown to flat out disgraceful. If there is even the slightest opportunity to spend it must all be in the back four department.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, philipl said:

Not sure about this.

Isn't Chapman under 23 so isn't counted in the 25 senior slots?

Genuine question.

Good spot - you could well be right.

Which then begs the question of how many 'free' senior slots we have, and whether we need to move someone out to make room for a defender loan?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.