BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

2 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Good spot - you could well be right.

Which then begs the question of how many 'free' senior slots we have, and whether we need to move someone out to make room for a defender loan?

For him not to be counted as a senior, does he not have to come through our accademy? I think Chapman is classed as a senior.

4 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Good spot - you could well be right.

Which then begs the question of how many 'free' senior slots we have, and whether we need to move someone out to make room for a defender loan?

I’m fairly certain there’s a window for re-registration of our 25-man squad at the end of the window.

I think we have one slot currently but they can always bump someone if they want to bring more in.

To use Mowbrayspeak, I hope any loan is a man and not a boy. I’d be well happy with Kipre, but bringing in a teenager seems pointless. I’d rather play Magloire or Carter.

Obviously we should have invested a few quid on a centre back we could build a defence around some time ago. But that doesn’t appear to fit the master plan.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Did he? I don't recall ever seeing anything to suggest he told someone at Rovers that he was definitely coming here. We offered him terms, he found a better deal. Things change in a few months 

The Sir Alex comparison is daft anyway, this is Mowbray's mid table Rovers, of course players are going to hold on for a better deal elsewhere before totally commiting.

You mustn't follow too closely then, because it was widely reported and discussed on here that he agreed terms and then pulled out. Mowbray said he had his word. Not just Ferguson, I said many others would be of the same view. Back to point one about you not reading things very well. 

3 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Here are a couple of examples from Rovers history that shows this would not being anything new:

Example 1 - Craig Short. Back in the days of King Kenny he turned down a move to high-flying premiership Rovers to...Derby County in the championship. He eventually made it to Ewood and was a stalwart at the back for years under a number of managers. Even was a coach for us at one stage.

Example 2 - Jason McAteer. Turned down Rovers after being very close to a deal to join Liverpool. I'm not sure we were too bothered about that when he scored at Turf Moor in our first match against the dingles for almost two decades.

So, I'm sure Kipre would be just fine. It's not a transfer suggestion of mine (I don't have any. Why would I? I doubt Mowbray reads brfcs.com) but I'm just saying that we'd be cutting off our nose to spite our face if we were turning players down just because they signed a better deal with another (premiership) club like we all would.

So then why is everyone discussing like we should sign him? People accuse Mowbray of lazy signings 

All those situations are different. This guy f**ked us around and he's not good enough to get a second chance. Simple as that really. He's not Roy Keane. Who I obviously would have let a similar situation slide for. Would Kenny have? Who knows. He sounded pretty annoyed from what I have read. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Moderation Lead
9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Kipre on loan would be an awful signing, for numerous reasons. 

Fingers crossed that's not the one and it sounds like it won't be. 

If he’s better than what we have, which wouldn’t be too difficult, then I don’t think that could possibly be the case tbh.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You mustn't follow too closely then, because it was widely reported and discussed on here that he agreed terms and then pulled out. Mowbray said he had his word. Not just Ferguson, I said many others would be of the same view. Back to point one about you not reading things very well. 

All the way through the summer it was widely reported on most media sources that WBA was Kipre's prefered choice. The only sticking point to it was Rovers were the only bid accepted and as such Kipre hung on as long as possible for his "Dream Move" to the premiership. 

We were always his 2nd choice so agreed terms and medical because as we were Wigan's choice until shortly before he moved.

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever

2 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

All the way through the summer it was widely reported on most media sources that WBA was Kipre's prefered choice. The only sticking point to it was Rovers were the only bid accepted and as such Kipre hung on as long as possible for his "Dream Move" to the premiership. 

We were always his 2nd choice so agreed terms and medical because as we were Wigan's choice until shortly before he moved.

Even if that's true they didn't have an offer in and he kept us hanging ,after giving his word. 

Stupid choice by him in hindsight really

Be very surprised if that deal happens 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Even if that's true they didn't have an offer in and he kept us hanging ,after giving his word. 

Stupid choice by him in hindsight really

Be very surprised if that deal happens 

He maintained his stance and did not mess us around. Mowbray had us hanging around. As soon as he let his feelings known we should have moved on and not wait for him.

Why was it stupid? He had chance of premiership football, with no financial penalty to him. He is young enough to get set up if it didn't work out. Its not like he wont get a Championship club is it? 

Once a player is on Mowbray's wanted list he very seldom leaves it so it would not surprise me if it did happen

• Like 4

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

Ayala also turned us down in the summer too as he sought a better deal elsewhere. When his big money move to the Middle East fell through we signed him. Any of us would do the same as Kipre did to better himself. 

And beggars can't be choosers 

So did Downing until he could not get a better deal

• Like 1