BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Show me any 18 year old that has played CH successfully in this division and I'll offer my cap to your sanctimony. 

Tomas Esteves, Reading, 18 years old. On loan from Porto. Plays at full back mostly but I'm sure there are others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Go on then...I'm after centre halves who are 18. Big difference in positions.

I don’t actually think age is the major factor. It’s experience. Branthwaite has quite a lot of experience for his age. He’s done the hard graft at Carlisle, the more fancy ball play for Everton in the Premier League and I think the Championship is definitely his current level.

Every loan signing is a risk, but he certainly looks better than having Bradley Johnson at centre back.

27 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Really? He was awesome against us.

Agreed - ripped us a new one on the flank. 

Hard to get excited about any signings to be honest. We had a great summer of business and have still performed very poorly in the main. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, briansol said:

According to Calvert-Lewin he is fast as well. When asked who was fastest at the club, he said it would be between himself, Godfrey and Branthwaite in a 100 metre race.

4 hours ago, rigger said:

A promo for a center-half, without a single header?

We already own a super rapid centre half who can't head.

8 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

True, have to say don’t get all this hype about Magloire. Haven’t seen him win a header yet on the occasions I’ve seen him play and not physical enough IMO.

Plus is he even making the team at Hartlepool?I'm sure I read they ain't keen on trying to keep him

14 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

True, have to say don’t get all this hype about Magloire. Haven’t seen him win a header yet on the occasions I’ve seen him play and not physical enough IMO.

Won several in pre-season against Leicester. He can’t “not head a ball”. I don’t know where this comes from?

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I don’t actually think age is the major factor. It’s experience. Branthwaite has quite a lot of experience for his age. He’s done the hard graft at Carlisle, the more fancy ball play for Everton in the Premier League and I think the Championship is definitely his current level.

Every loan signing is a risk, but he certainly looks better than having Bradley Johnson at centre back.

Its minimal in the grand scheme of things, 9 games at Carlisle is barely "doing the hard graft" and only 4 games for Everton. Like anyone at that age, it is a massive risk to put so much onus on an untested kid with the expectations of merely being "better than Bradley Johnson at centre back." Even Charlie Mulgrew would just about be better than Johnson there and hes nowhere near good enough! Sadly, it seems to be the only market we can afford to go into.

13 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Won several in pre-season against Leicester. He can’t “not head a ball”. I don’t know where this comes from?

The game I do remember most of all was the one league match he played against Wigan and it stood out like a sore thumb to me. The Leicester friendly, didn’t see the whole game only highlights but would be surprised if he was as commanding as said. Maybe a player better suited to a position best suited to his assets (pace) though not sure where

Also saw him play full back when on loan at Rochdale and had a ‘mare’. Would love to be proved wrong but yet to be convinced

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

The game I do remember most of all was the one league match he played against Wigan and it stood out like a sore thumb to me. The Leicester friendly, didn’t see the whole game only highlights but would be surprised if he was as commanding as said. Maybe a player better suited to a position best suited to his assets (pace) though not sure where

Also saw him play full back when on loan at Rochdale and had a ‘mare’. Would love to be proved wrong but yet to be convinced

I was at the Rochdale game, it was against Newcastle. Rochdale set up with him on the right side of a three at the back with two wing backs. The wing back on Magloire's side was a young kid who had never played there before and he went AWOL. That meant Newcastle could go two onto one on Magloire and he didn't know wether to stick or twist. As a result he got a bit of a chasing. 

Before half time they took him off, went to four at the back and looked a lot  better for it. I wouldn't condemn him off that one game.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

He was absolutely outstanding against us at ewood.

Isn't that part of the point? You can be outstanding when you are young but usually lack the consistency to do it week in week out.

An 18 year old that be consistently good is not unheard of but pretty rare and centre back is not a position where you can hide on a bad day.

I've not seen any of these young CBs so can't comment on them individually but tend to favour experience in this and the GK position more than anywhere else.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Isn't that part of the point? You can be outstanding when you are young but usually lack the consistency to do it week in week out.

An 18 year old that be consistently good is not unheard of but pretty rare and centre back is not a position where you can hide on a bad day.

I've not seen any of these young CBs so can't comment on them individually but tend to favour experience in this and the GK position more than anywhere else.

Exactly my point! 

20 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Show me any 18 year old that has played CH successfully in this division and I'll offer my cap to your sanctimony. 

The best ever Rovers centre-back made his first-team debut at 17----Mike England!

Wikipedia purports to list his career but never mentions Rovers at all, yet he played 180 times for us! Only Spurs! 😂

I've no idea if he made his debut in that position though, he started off as a wing-half for a while.

One for Parson that---said he, craftily tempting him back!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 4