BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

Just now, 47er said:

Its simply really, make some good signings in key positions or stagnate for yet another year.

Can't see why anyone thinks differently!

No one thinks any differently. I said only last week that bringing in kids was not the right thing to do. Whoever we do bring in has to be Tosin good to get us anywhere near the playoffs....that’s not easy! 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

No one thinks any differently. I said only last week that bringing in kids was not the right thing to do. Whoever we do bring in has to be Tosin good to get us anywhere near the playoffs....that’s not easy! 

So we’ve gone from ‘must get play-offs’ to ‘we need someone as good as Tosin to get near the play offs’?

• Like 5

10 hours ago, bluebruce said:

That's not entirely true, it either contributes to the financial security of the club or allows us to sign more players of a decent quality.

A player adding monetary value is also usually a sign they added value on the pitch.

Your first sentence hasn't applied at the Rovers in a while.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

We spent our budget (a very healthy one considering the climate) in the summer.

We spent nowt....we got a free lame carthorse, and took on loan a legs gone...got a bit lucky with Dolan and Liverpool allow us to loan their young lad...

And we find ourselves in a worse position than this time last season.

You're an apologist. 

• Like 5

When we can't compete with the likes of PNE for a league one midfielder, that tells you the ambition of the club, the ambition of the owners and that we'll be plying our trade in this division for the foreseable future, regardless who the manager is. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18997262.finances-ruled-rovers-move-league-one-midfielder/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, only2garners said:

PNE need to sell one or two of their best players to pay for him - Pearson and/or Davies will be funding Whiteman (or not). No doubt we could flog Travis say to buy Whiteman but why would we?

But if Trav said he's off to Celtic, you'd want him replaced right? 

Yes but that wasn't my point. Gav was suggesting that we can no longer compete with PNE in the transfer market. I was pointing out that they are only wanting to sign Whiteman because they need to replace Pearson and his sale could fund it. If Pearson or one of the others doesn't go for a decent fee in January they won't be buying Whiteman.

30 minutes ago, Gav said:

When we can't compete with the likes of PNE for a league one midfielder, that tells you the ambition of the club, the ambition of the owners and that we'll be plying our trade in this division for the foreseable future, regardless who the manager is. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18997262.finances-ruled-rovers-move-league-one-midfielder/

Tony’s had plenty of money to spend during his tenure here so he can’t be moaning. Not exactly used it wisely has he.

I too think we’ll be in this division for the foreseeable!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I haven’t seen enough of Buckley to know if he’ll be a world beater but I do trust the opinions enough of those work with the players everyday.

it’s a little over 12 months ago that I was at the match and spoke to two PL scouts who were there to watch him. I asked around at the time and the general opinion was that Buckley is “the one” they believe will be a superstar. As I’ve said many times, I haven’t seen what they see. There are lots of Rovers fans who watch the youth / 23’s and say that Buckley is every bit the one.

But for those who doubt the above, look at how much Buckley has been involved. Since that time he’s made 40ish appearances and been included in nearly every match day squad. He has looked every bit a footballer at times and like a lost puppy at others.

I know there were some lower Championship and League 1 clubs wanting him on loan in the Summer. They’ve turned down loans because they see him as a first teamer. I personally would let him go out now and get 15-20 games. He needs that imo. Can’t see it with the injuries and COVID.

Sorry in Buckley with the exception of one or two all too brief flashes I don't see it.  Harvey Elliot I see it often.  I just have not seen what the fuss could be about.  Surely if he was the next big thing he would be orchestrating games more than he has to date.

• Like 1

Short term loans now, unless outstanding quality along the lines of what Villa got in their promotion season, are a waste of time and money.

If there was a medium or long term plan we would be recruiting to address issues for beyond the next 4 months. 

Its a sticking plaster job yet the plaster comes off in May and the gaping wound is still there. Even worse when we lose Nyambe, Williams, Douglas and Bell. A new defence to build, likely no money and on it goes around in circles.

"Lets see who he brings in"

"New signings are coming"

"Lets see how they settle in and how we start the season"

"Player X is injured. Not Mowbray's fault"

As for the owners backing him this window with loans don't make me laugh. Everton would pay for their lad to come here and play Championship football for 6 months. Ideal. Whatever it costs us will likely be covered by savings on outgoings.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Tony’s had plenty of money to spend during his tenure here so he can’t be moaning. Not exactly used it wisely has he.

I too think we’ll be in this division for the foreseeable!

Mowbray will always be judged on here by the Gallagher and Brereton signings, ignoring the Dack and Armstrong rabbits he pulled out of hats, selling them alone would eclipse the money spent on Gally and Ben, he's not done badly in the transfer market as far as I'm concerned.

Defensively we've been rubbish, he's changed the keepers, brought in numerous players across the back but he can't seem to get it right, but he's consistently let down by injuries and Lenihan in particular, who is a much better defender than he shows week in week out.

We can't compete with the top 5/6 financially, we're looking around for scraps, championship midtable is where we are and where we will remain, I agree with you on that point Gavlar.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gav said:

Mowbray will always be judged on here by the Gallagher and Brereton signings, ignoring the Dack and Armstrong rabbits he pulled out of hats, selling them alone would eclipse the money spent on Gally and Ben, he's not done badly in the transfer market as far as I'm concerned.

Defensively we've been we are still rubbish, he's changed the keepers, brought in numerous players across the back but he can't seem to get it right, but he's consistently let down by injuries and Lenihan in particular, who is a much better defender than he shows week in week out.

We can't compete with the top 5/6 financially, we're looking around for scraps, championship midtable is where we are and where we will remain, I agree with you on that point Gavlar.

Fixed the start of that second paragraph for you.

As for Lenihan being a much better defender than he shows, I think that if this was the case, he'd be showing it regularly on the pitch - but he isn't.

We need to bring in some defensive recruits - calibre of Keeley, Fazackerly, Hendry, Amoruso (sorry my brain fart) Moran, The Axe - do these type of players even exist in the game anymore? Well, if the scouting network and 'professional' football management at the club don't know, then it doesn't bode well. Even someone along the lines of Andre Ooijer who could do a job both in central defence and midfield would be an asset. Are there any real men left in the game? If not, where the hell have they all gone??

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

But if Trav said he's off to Celtic, you'd want him replaced right? 

They're different styles of players. One's a ball winning midfield yard dog and the other is a creative ball playing play maker. I've said before I liked the look of Whiteman. I'd swap him for Holtby tomorrow.

Regarding Buckley, he's too diffident. He needs to demand the ball more and get in the game. In that position you need to be a bit brash. I remember reading about Alan Ball when he was playing in a pre season practice match with Stanley Mathews when Bally was only a 17 year old kid. He played a long ball for Mathews to run on to. Mathews said " Not there son, play it to my feet ". Bally said " You'll get it where I give it to you ! " 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Mate, you have got a clue what Mowbrays opinion was. The FACT is that 2/4 of our senior CB’s are out for the season and the other out for a month. The end. 

Mate, you are even unable to articulate your arguments!

I think it's no secret Williams was very closely linked to Swansea and MLS pre season / early season.

I think it's clear Mowbray was happy to sign Ayala despite his injury record (only played some half of the league games for M'boro last season and I think if you look at his appearance record over the last three seasons, I think you will find on average, he's missed a third of league games) so it is no surprise, at least to me, that he's only started in 7 or 8 league games for us with half the season gone.  Talk about a manager shooting himself in the foot.

Might also have helped if Mowbray hadn't blown his remaining budget on, IMO, the pointless and unnecessary signing of Downing.

Think defenders are still coming.................!?

Edited by Mercer

1 hour ago, funny-old-game said:

It's literally just a re-hash of information from November. An interview with Waggott in November where he discussed what would happen if a bid for Arma came in, and a tweet from some Twitter account in November claiming West Ham were interested. Nothing to see here at the moment.

18 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's not that simple anymore. The new rules make it difficult to bring players in from abroad that aren't established players.

I understand the rules. Still more than possible to find talents. 40% of minutes in Belgium for example.

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

We do now with 3/4 of our cbs injured!! Ffs it’s not hard lads

People did identify back then that Ayala as our only CB recruitment was a risk with his injury record, as Williams and Lenihan are not strangers to the treatment room. I'm not as good as some at trawling through old posts but I'm moderately sure I remember you saying it wouldn't be a problem.

It's ok to be wrong sometimes. Might be easier to say 'yeh Tony and I underestimated how injury prone this backline would be in a congested fixture schedule with corona around, we should have recruited another CB'.

I'll do it. Because although I initially said we had to get two CB in, when one had the resume of Ayala I got a little excited and decided that whilst I'd like another and had my concerns, we would probably be alright with what we had at CB and the youth lads could potentially cover a shortfall. One other thing I underestimated there was how little faith TM actually had in Carter (not that the lad had particularly impressed me). Wharton's lengthy injury was a surprise too, as I don't think he had an injury record of note. But on the other hand, Lenihan hasn't broken down which was always a possibility. On balance we have probably only done slightly worse for injuries there than you'd expect in such a busy schedule.