BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

There's no evidence that Nyambe wants to leave the club.
There's also no evidence that Nyambe will definitely be staying.

Anything else is just a complete guesswork.

Its a fact he is out of contract in the summer. So unless that changes he won't be staying, even if he wants to. 

It's also fair to assume that if we can't even be bothered to offer him improved terms then he won't fancy hanging around.

What are we waiting for exactly?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JoeH said:

There's no evidence that Nyambe wants to leave the club.
There's also no evidence that Nyambe will definitely be staying.

Anything else is just a complete guesswork.

I think the evidence lies with previous cases of players entering their final 6 months, particularly a lad like Nyambe who is yet to hit his peak.  My view is that he believes that a different manager would benefit his career.  

He will be looking to quadruple his wages next season somewhere.    If he has a good agent and he keeps playing well.  What is embarrassing is that Mowbray is forced into playing him in the shop window cos the alternatives are so shit....as we saw on Saturday. 

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

Its a fact he is out of contract in the summer. So unless that changes he won't be staying, even if he wants to. 

It's also fair to assume that if we can't even be bothered to offer him improved terms then he won't fancy hanging around.

What are we waiting for exactly?

Do you know for sure we haven't offered him improved terms?Not doubting it but not seen anywhere we havent offered him improved terms?

33 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Do you know for sure we haven't offered him improved terms?Not doubting it but not seen anywhere we havent offered him improved terms?

Why would Mowbray be publicly telling the owners that we need to work to get these players tied down to new deals if those deals were already being worked on?

Wouldn't it be more accurate just to say that negotiations are taking place and that the owners will back new deals for their players?

Instead the distinct impression from Mowbray's comments is that we haven't even started the process as the owners haven't sanctioned it.

A compen fee plus future add ons might seem attractive in the case of Nyambe. Rather than a bumper payrise on the books.

Seems to be shaping up to be Mahonney x2 if you ask me and he'd also be the 3rd academy graduate lost under this manager. 

Raya, Mahonney and maybe Nyambe could well add up nicely and someone might think it's good business.  Grow em cheap and sell em cheap on the conveyor belt and keep a bit coming in. Future add on's as profit, less the % of course.

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Why would Mowbray be publicly telling the owners that we need to work to get these players tied down to new deals if those deals were already being worked on?

Wouldn't it be more accurate just to say that negotiations are taking place and that the owners will back new deals for their players?

Instead the distinct impression from Mowbray's comments is that we haven't even started the process as the owners haven't sanctioned it.

I think TM's message was for when it all goes tits up....."Its not me, Guv.."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

A compen fee plus future add ons might seem attractive in the case of Nyambe. Rather than a bumper payrise on the books.

Seems to be shaping up to be Mahonney x2 if you ask me and he'd also be the 3rd academy graduate lost under this manager. 

Raya, Mahonney and maybe Nyambe could well add up nicely and someone might think it's good business.  Grow em cheap and sell em cheap on the conveyor belt and keep a bit coming in. Future add on's as profit, less the % of course.

Raya was sold, we (eventually) got a better replacement. Mahoney is rubbish. We have far better now. No issue with either leaving. 

Nyambe would be a very different thing. Ah I reckon it will get sorted. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Part of the negotiations.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Raya was sold, we (eventually) got a better replacement. Mahoney is rubbish. We have far better now. No issue with either leaving. 

Nyambe would be a very different thing. Ah I reckon it will get sorted. 

That's not what I'm saying though their relative football merits is a different argument.

I'm saying that in some cases maybe they'll settle for compen or lower fees. As long as there are good add ons etc and a sell on.

That way it's cheaper than giving them big long deals just hoping maybe they end up worth big money.

In the short term some money comes in and long term there's still potential profit. All this based on players they feel they can replace with as good but for not much money.

To say Mahoney is rubbish is nonsense. Might have lost his way but he made the wrong move. He'd have been very handy to have around but they were correct in not offering him the type on money Bournemouth did.

Perhaps they feel the same way about Nyambe in private.

Edited by tomphil

https://www.rovers.co.uk/teams/first-team/midfielder/joe-rothwell2/

I didnt realise and unsure if it has been mentioned but on Rothwell we do have the option of an extra year. I dont think that he will have loads of interest from vultures circling anyway but I suppose there is a bit less comparative urgency with him compared to Nyambe and Holtby.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That's not what I'm saying though their relative football merits is a different argument.

I'm saying that in some cases maybe they'll settle for compen or lower fees. As long as there are good add ons etc and a sell on.

That way it's cheaper than giving them big long deals just hoping maybe they end up worth big money.

In the short term some money comes in and long term there's still potential profit. All this based on players they feel they can replace with as good but for not much money.

To say Mahoney is rubbish is nonsense. Might have lost his way but he made the wrong move. He'd have been very handy to have around but they were correct in not offering him the type on money Bournemouth did.

Perhaps they feel the same way about Nyambe in private.

Mahoney has done nothing of note since leaving here. I see nothing in him as a player. 

This is the minute to a transfers/contracts question asked at last week's Fans Forum: -

JohnW asked whether the club were expecting any transfer activity in the upcoming January transfer window. MC stated that he expected little activity as the club currently had a strong squad with some key players about to return from injury and a group of academy players establishing themselves in the first team squad. However, he could not rule out offers for players from other clubs which might affect things, although there no plans for anyone to be sold. The club had been talking to a number of players and their agents about new and extended contracts for a number of weeks now.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mahoney has done nothing of note since leaving here. I see nothing in him as a player. 

Again not the point.

He was well thought of here they offered to double his wages, the starting point was low though. Once Bournemouth came in Rovers although they liked him drew the line as to how far they'd go money wise to try and keep him.

Doesn't really matter what has happened since as that was what was happening back then. So i'm saying there may be a similar scenario in regards to Nyambe and maybe any other prospect they haven't paid money for.

Mowbray has already shown he likes to try others in that position so despite what he says publically i don't think he'd lose too much sleep if Nyambe went.

55 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Again not the point.

He was well thought of here they offered to double his wages, the starting point was low though. Once Bournemouth came in Rovers although they liked him drew the line as to how far they'd go money wise to try and keep him.

Doesn't really matter what has happened since as that was what was happening back then. So i'm saying there may be a similar scenario in regards to Nyambe and maybe any other prospect they haven't paid money for.

Mowbray has already shown he likes to try others in that position so despite what he says publically i don't think he'd lose too much sleep if Nyambe went.

It's my point :) I would care if we lost Nyambe. Don't and didn't care about Mahoney. Nyambe strikes me as a lad who knows he would be best developed by staying here. Mahoney lost the run of himself, career wise staying and starting with us would have been best. I don't buy the money thing,he's only a young lad. Plenty of career in front of him. You can't be thinking at that age you might get injured. 

Nyambe starts the majority of our games right back. He has his limitations ,so I get why JRC gets the nod at times. I don't see any reason why Mowbray wouldn't care if we lost him on a free. At a minimum we would be missing out on a fee he could re invest. 

I would imagine the payers are looking to see if at how well we are doing this season. Tis a big one. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/teams/first-team/midfielder/joe-rothwell2/

I didnt realise and unsure if it has been mentioned but on Rothwell we do have the option of an extra year. I dont think that he will have loads of interest from vultures circling anyway but I suppose there is a bit less comparative urgency with him compared to Nyambe and Holtby.

That's actually huge. I wasn't aware of this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Wrote this in the Bristol thread as well. If Arma puts in any more displays like he did yesterday I can see teams being put off him. Put his own self interest ahead of the team last night. It wasn't just a poor game. There is a difference between being single minded and greed. He showed a real poor mentality. 

19 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Wrote this in the Bristol thread as well. If Arma puts in any more displays like he did yesterday I can see teams being put off him. Put his own self interest ahead of the team last night. It wasn't just a poor game. There is a difference between being single minded and greed. He showed a real poor mentality. 

I get the feeling he's not that bright.

30m seems pie in the sky and I cant see any team paying that when he only has 1 year on his contract after this. However it will be nigh on impossible to replace the goal output that he provides, it will not be as easy as another striker coming in and picking up where he left off. Goalscorers create chances themselves with their movement.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

30m seems pie in the sky and I cant see any team paying that when he only has 1 year on his contract after this. However it will be nigh on impossible to replace the goal output that he provides, it will not be as easy as another striker coming in and picking up where he left off. Goalscorers create chances themselves with their movement.

I agree no one is paying that much, I disagree we couldn't replace him with a few quid. 

£10 million would go a long way if we looked at the European market. 

Even before the other night, I think this team are doing more for Armstrong than he does for the team. We are set up to create chances, which is why he is scoring so many. Last season he made many of his own goals, but I don't see that happening as much(if at all) this year. If he does start doing that again, well then 30 million might be realistic! 

I wouldn't sell him this season anyway(unless we were offered 30 million). We won't be, but that would be too much to turn down. 

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I agree no one is paying that much, I disagree we couldn't replace him with a few quid. 

£10 million would go a long way if we looked at the European market. 

Even before the other night, I think this team are doing more for Armstrong than he does for the team. We are set up to create chances, which is why he is scoring so many. Last season he made many of his own goals, but I don't see that happening as much(if at all) this year. If he does start doing that again, well then 30 million might be realistic! 

I wouldn't sell him this season anyway(unless we were offered 30 million). We won't be, but that would be too much to turn down. 

I totally disagree that the team is doing more for him than he is as a team. He anticipates chances like any goalscorer as much as we create for him, it isnt as simple as replacing the striker and said striker getting an equal number of chances. It isnt only 25 yard screamers where a striker has made his own goal, his movement makes goals. His goal record in 2020 is brilliant. You never hear people saying that a team isnt creating chances for a goalscorer because he will find chances regardless. 

• Like 2

If Newcastle are interested in having him back it might be the best of both worlds. They would effectively  be buying him for less due to their sell on clause. I'd accept £20 million from Newcastle as that would be effectively £30 million from another club. 

If they were interested in him as a player it would make sense seeing the local boy come back. Something for their moaning fans to cheer about. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I totally disagree that the team is doing more for him than he is as a team. He anticipates chances like any goalscorer as much as we create for him, it isnt as simple as replacing the striker and said striker getting an equal number of chances. It isnt only 25 yard screamers where a striker has made his own goal, his movement makes goals. His goal record in 2020 is brilliant. You never hear people saying that a team isnt creating chances for a goalscorer because he will find chances regardless. 

He misses some amount of chances, so a more clinical striker could score more, I agree. 

We are creating chances for him though,many chances. Elliott, Brereton and Rothwell inclination is to pass to him. Even Nyambe has assisted a few. 

He's having a great season, but he is lucky that he is the focal point of a team that is tailored to setting him up and playing to his strengths.

Let's not forget too that he has scored 5 goals against 10 men when we won well. 

It's certainly not Shearer levels of carrying a team. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He misses some amount of chances, so a more clinical striker could score more, I agree. 

We are creating chances for him though,many chances. Elliott, Brereton and Rothwell inclination is to pass to him. Even Nyambe has assisted a few. 

He's having a great season, but he is lucky that he is the focal point of a team that is tailored to setting him up and playing to his strengths.

Let's not forget too that he has scored 5 goals against 10 men when we won well. 

It's certainly not Shearer levels of carrying a team. 

He is the focal point but it is very naive to think that someone especially realistic to us could come in and score at an equal or even better rate. As I mentioned it is not as simple as having chances created for him, he aids that by anticipating chances via his movement.

He is the top scorer in the league which is very impressive and we would be half the attacking force without him.