BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

We don’t need another midfielder.

There are many reasons to want Mowbray to go. This is not one of them.

I’d argue that signing whiteman over a defender would be a far more legitimate reason for sacking him.

That's because we've signed a lot of very average midfield players. None of whom seem to do enough to hold down a place for long. We've gone for quantity over quality. With the exception of Travis I'd gladly swap any of our other midfield players for Whiteman. In some cases I'd swap two !

Of course you need to come up with a way of playing that would suit Whiteman's skill set. You'd have to build a team around him.  I wouldn't trust Mowbray to be able to do that.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's because we've signed a lot of very average midfield players. None of whom seem to do enough to hold down a place for long. We've gone for quantity over quality. With the exception of Travis I'd gladly swap any of our other midfield players for Whiteman. In some cases I'd swap two !

Of course you need to come up with a way of playing that would suit Whiteman's skill set. You'd have to build a team around him.  I wouldn't trust Mowbray to be able to do that.

It doesn't help tough that we have so many of them and Mowbray seems to want to give them all a go! A settled partnership would help us enormously.

Find your best side and stick to it.

I accept that injuries play a part in this but that's another story.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

With Dack and Travis returning, the priority is not central midfield. Certainly can’t justify spending a seven figure fee to add another option. It’s hard enough to pick a midfield as it is.

Centre back is far more important.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Branthwaite is the sort of 'back to reality' signing we're used to here after talk about Whiteman and Pickering (Christ, players from Crewe and Doncaster are now out of our reach). 

Short term cheap loan for a PL teenager to fill a gap until the summer. 

Short term, unproven but most importantly cheap and requires no commitment from Rovers.

Ticks all the boxes.

He might be decent, he might not. We will still concede with alarming regularity.

Come the summer he will be off and we will need more defenders.

So predictable and to be honest depressing.

By the summer we will have two central defenders fit again 

• Like 1

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Bell is no great loss.

Nyambe - thought I saw somewhere we had a 1 year option.

Williams - been hit and miss. Getting Wharton fit will be more important.

Wharton won't be fit until December and even then will need matches to get up to speed. Would be insanity to pin any hopes on him for next season as most it will be gone by the time he's ready to play.

I agree that Bell and Williams will be no great loss but they will still need replacing at some point as will Nyambe and also converted defenders Bennett and JRC who are also out in May.

A lot of work to be done yet we are wasting time and money signing short term loans now.

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I know you can't - but if you exclude the money spent on Gallagher and Brereton - his transfer record isn't too bad. No manager ever has a 100% successful transfer record - but TMs record is heavily tainted by 2 players transfer fees.

If the likes of Antonsson, Ayala, Bell, Caddis, Douglas, Gladwin, Hart, Leutwiler, Pears, Samuel, Smallwoood, Walton, Whittingham are not too bad then God help us.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

By the summer we will have two central defenders fit again 

We will be lucky to see Scott Wharton before Christmas given the severity of his injury. Williams will be gone as will the loan signing (if it happens). The slow build that Mowbray hangs his hat on just doesn't work with loans and injury prone players over 30. It really is Groundhog Day under this bloke.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If the likes of Antonsson, Ayala, Bell, Caddis, Douglas, Gladwin, Hart, Leutwiler, Pears, Samuel, Smallwoood, Walton, Whittingham are not too bad then God help us.

Some of those players helped us get promoted from L1.

Dack, Rothwell, Reid, Elliott, Kaminski, Dolan, AA.

Anyone can pick and choose - as I said no managers transfer record is 100%. As an example (though a different level) - look at the money Fergie wasted at United

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mate, I’d hazard a guess you know very little about Whitemans skill set. Like the rest of us.

From what I’ve seen he wouldn’t get a game over the likes of Trav, Rothwell or Holtby. So why we gonna pay £4m for him to sit on the bench.

Its done. But for Sparks love in with him I’m not sure if anyone in here would have a clue who he was...best of luck Ben but we’re Blackburn Rovers!! NEXT!!!

From what little I've seen Whiteman is what Holtby could be if he could manage more than 1 good game in 6. Ditto Rothwell. Both of those two blow very hot and cold. One week they look top class, the next week you don't know they're playing. The pre injury Travis is another story but I don't see him as competing for the same place in the team. Downing is another one who Whiteman could have been preferred to.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

From what little I've seen Whiteman is what Holtby could be if he could manage more than 1 good game in 6. Ditto Rothwell. Both of those two blow very hot and cold. One week they look top class, the next week you don't know they're playing. The pre injury Travis is another story but I don't see him as competing for the same place in the team. Downing is another one who Whiteman could have been preferred to.

Roth well will never be consistent that said Holtby needs a BSA or an actual proper manager to manage him

• Like 1