BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's a scrapper Mercer, we need some personality in that defence.  I'd rather him than Carthorse or Del without a shadow of doubt.

Well he is certainly a scrapper. He's captain everywhere he goes. Ireland haven't been the same since he left and it seems a lot of Derby fans feel the same. He's just a proper centre half. There is no fancy stuff. Better than Ayala anyway. That guy is doing my head in. We knew what we were getting there. Plays about 20 games a season. Keogh is robust, rarely misses games, which he seems to be continuing this season. Played way more than Ayala over the last 5 years. That Ayala signing was another text book Mowbray defensive f**k up. Not a bad player, but you just cannot rely on him. 3 year deal then, Jesus. He saw us coming. No wonder he came back from the Middle East that time. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well he is certainly a scrapper. He's captain everywhere he goes. Ireland haven't been the same since he left and it seems a lot of Derby fans feel the same. He's just a proper centre half. There is no fancy stuff. Better than Ayala anyway. That guy is doing my head in. We knew what we were getting there. Plays about 20 games a season. Keogh is robust, rarely misses games, which he seems to be continuing this season. Played way more than Ayala over the last 5 years. That Ayala signing was another text book Mowbray defensive f**k up. Not a bad player, but you just cannot rely on him. 3 year deal then, Jesus. He saw us coming. No wonder he came back from the Middle East that time. 

He didnt even go to the middle east, hence no 14 day quarantine. Was all made up i reckon so we upped what we originally offered him.

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ah no he's steady enough now. Maybe one or two high profile blunders stick in people's minds, but I would say he could be possibly be better than the majority of what we have. 

Ya, I'd say he's a bit nuts alright, but he's a strong character. 

Shock of 2021 as Big Dog backs Republic of Ireland international 😂 Fair play to him for coming back from what was an absolutely horrific injury. 

5 minutes ago, Butty said:

Shock of 2021 as Big Dog backs Republic of Ireland international 😂 Fair play to him for coming back from what was an absolutely horrific injury. 

Have you heard me comment on Lenihan and Williams? I wouldn't say I give any favour. I have just seen plenty of Keogh and I have to say I was impressed. My mates would say I am the most critical about the Irish football team and players out of all of us 😂 So it's funny that people here think I'm biased. 

Ya, unreal. Testament to his character to get back to the championship after that, at his age, via league 1. Many players wouldn't have. 

How on earth did Daniel Ayala manage to get a 3 year contract? Are the owners not realising their lack of investment up front is costing them.

Spend now in moderation, to save and make money long term. It’s not a difficult business model.

40 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

How on earth did Daniel Ayala manage to get a 3 year contract? Are the owners not realising their lack of investment up front is costing them.

Spend now in moderation, to save and make money long term. It’s not a difficult business model.

Anybody with Middlesbrough connections get 3 or 4 year contracts.Its the Mowbray effect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Have you heard me comment on Lenihan and Williams? I wouldn't say I give any favour. I have just seen plenty of Keogh and I have to say I was impressed. My mates would say I am the most critical about the Irish football team and players out of all of us 😂 So it's funny that people here think I'm biased. 

Ya, unreal. Testament to his character to get back to the championship after that, at his age, via league 1. Many players wouldn't have. 

Haha I was only pulling your leg mate. Yeah credit to Keogh for sure, but I wouldn’t want him here. 

• Like 1

While I understand the sentiment to bring in a non-nonsense, grizzled shithouse 33+ CB as cover, considering the budget we're apparently working with (or the equivalent of whatever we are paying for Braithwaite - who looked quite good on Saturday!), I think the risk is you're more likely to end up with someone like Gordon Greer. Setting aside whether Keogh's actually any good or not, I suspect he's managed a decent bidding war for his wage (key may be whether Huddersfield gives him a year extension when/if they sign him!)

- Does the rule that you're only allowed to play for two clubs in one season apply to Magloire's time at Hartlepool in the National League? Considering he probably still needs a lot of lower league seasoning, I'd assume they're looking for a L1/L2 loan for him now rather than sticking him on the bench. Plenty of reason to question his true potential at his age, but strikes me that a player with his physical attributes is worth a long look. I suspect that a couple months getting roughed up in the National League did him some good.

- Was randomly glancing at Morecambe's roster (Lyons got in a sub appearance on Saturday). They may be the new "team of less than impressive ex-Rovers" (previous holders Blackpool a couple years ago when Bowyer was in charge): Hendrie, Lavelle, Slew, O'Sullivan, and Songo'o, plus Lyons!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

While I understand the sentiment to bring in a non-nonsense, grizzled shithouse 33+ CB as cover, considering the budget we're apparently working with (or the equivalent of whatever we are paying for Braithwaite - who looked quite good on Saturday!), I think the risk is you're more likely to end up with someone like Gordon Greer. Setting aside whether Keogh's actually any good or not, I suspect he's managed a decent bidding war for his wage (key may be whether Huddersfield gives him a year extension when/if they sign him!)

- Does the rule that you're only allowed to play for two clubs in one season apply to Magloire's time at Hartlepool in the National League? Considering he probably still needs a lot of lower league seasoning, I'd assume they're looking for a L1/L2 loan for him now rather than sticking him on the bench. Plenty of reason to question his true potential at his age, but strikes me that a player with his physical attributes is worth a long look. I suspect that a couple months getting roughed up in the National League did him some good.

- Was randomly glancing at Morecambe's roster (Lyons got in a sub appearance on Saturday). They may be the new "team of less than impressive ex-Rovers" (previous holders Blackpool a couple years ago when Bowyer was in charge): Hendrie, Lavelle, Slew, O'Sullivan, and Songo'o, plus Lyons!

The rules have been relaxed in every league regarding only playing for two clubs in a calender year, it's not applicable this season.

• Like 1