BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

6 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

- Was randomly glancing at Morecambe's roster (Lyons got in a sub appearance on Saturday). They may be the new "team of less than impressive ex-Rovers" (previous holders Blackpool a couple years ago when Bowyer was in charge): Hendrie, Lavelle, Slew, O'Sullivan, and Songo'o, plus Lyons!

I'm amazed at how long Morecambe have lasted as a league club since they got promoted back in 2007.With small crowds and nothing to spend on players they have done unbelievably well to still be up in the league while much bigger teams have dropped through the trap door.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I wouldn’t want keogh. Was a decent but error prone CB On his day. We really need to be aiming higher if we want to get anywhere

I really don't get the error prone stuff, but not to sound smart, but ye really wouldn't have watched him very much, would you? There is a reason why he wins POTY so often and it's cos he's really not error prone. He's actually very steady. 

Anyway, I'm not saying he's the best out there, but he's available for a reasonable enough amount , has experience at this level, high level experience and the reality is we will probably end up with nobody. I think til the end of the season, he would be the absolute finest. 

We could have Johnson back there in February,ya know what I mean? 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I really don't get the error prone stuff, but not to sound smart, but ye really wouldn't have watched him very much, would you? There is a reason why he wins POTY so often and it's cos he's really not error prone. He's actually very steady. 

Anyway, I'm not saying he's the best out there, but he's available for a reasonable enough amount , has experience at this level, high level experience and the reality is we will probably end up with nobody. I think til the end of the season, he would be the absolute finest. 

Derby fans absolutely hated him and thought he was woeful.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

I'm amazed at how long Morecambe have lasted as a league club since they got promoted back in 2007.With small crowds and nothing to spend on players they have done unbelievably well to still be up in the league while much bigger teams have dropped through the trap door.

Can say the same for Stanley, and they are knocking on the door of the Championship, suppose it puts ‘The Promotion’ season into a bit of context...

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Can say the same for Stanley, and they are knocking on the door of the Championship, suppose it puts ‘The Promotion’ season into a bit of context...

Somebody will inevitably point out "look at Ipswich and Sunderland though!1!"

While at Derby, he was named player of the year twice, fans player of the year once ,players player of the year 3 times and got in the championship team of the season once. Got into the play offs with them 3 times. The majority of which time he was captain. So therefore I find some of these comments odd and pretty ill informed. 

He also won the player of the year award at Carlisle, Bristol city and Coventry at least once while he played with them. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Obviously I would have him over Johnson.  Didn’t Derrick Williams get our player of the year not long back and not have the best season.

ive probably seen him a handful of times a season and in highlights and whenever I think of keogh I think mistake waiting to happen and it seems I’m not the only one. I’ve seen him get man of the match a few times to but with his current age I just think we need to be getting a lot better and I’d rather play one of our own until the end of the season from the u21s to gain experience and on less wages. He isn’t the long term answer and the short term is irrelevant this season now as we will do enough to stay up. Opinions I suppose. I’d rather play Dolan than Elliott for the same reason

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

While at Derby, he was named player of the year twice, fans player of the year once ,players player of the year 3 times and got in the championship team of the season once. Got into the play offs with them 3 times. The majority of which time he was captain. So therefore I find some of these comments odd and pretty ill informed. 

He also won the player of the year award at Carlisle, Bristol city and Coventry at least once while he played with them. 

Been following this conversation from afar and waiting for his time at Carlisle to be brought up. He basically won the POTY award there for entertainment value alone; he wasn't particularly good. He played primarily as full back there and would go on a crazy run down the wing once every four games and look like a world beater. He'd beat 3 or 4 men with no end product but the Carlisle fans loved him because he was one of a small minority of players who seemed to give a crap at the time.

Me and my mates from home always laugh at how he went from that to being a well established CB at a top Championship club. He's made a brilliant career for himself but I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, especially at his age now. I've always felt his relative success has come from leadership/organisational qualities as opposed to any real footballing skill. Maybe that's what we need but he's not the player for us IMO.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Been following this conversation from afar and waiting for his time at Carlisle to be brought up. He basically won the POTY award there for entertainment value alone; he wasn't particularly good. He played primarily as full back there and would go on a crazy run down the wing once every four games and look like a world beater. He'd beat 3 or 4 men with no end product but the Carlisle fans loved him because he was one of a small minority of players who seemed to give a crap at the time.

Me and my mates from home always laugh at how he went from that to being a well established CB at a top Championship club. He's made a brilliant career for himself but I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, especially at his age now. I've always felt his relative success has come from leadership/organisational qualities as opposed to any real footballing skill. Maybe that's what we need but he's not the player for us IMO.

Well his strengths are definitely his leadership/organisational qualities. He's not Baresi when it comes to technical ability. What is it we need only exactly the qualities he has though?  Bit of strange snobbish attitude from some fans on this I think. 

Let's see how he goes at Huddersfield. Who as I mentioned, have better centre halves than us currently. He's certainly not going there to sit on the bench. He said he wants to get back in the Ireland squad and if he does, it will be one of Lenihan and Williams who drops out of the squad (if they are even worthy of getting in what is a very poor squad at the moment, I don't think they should be for the record) . He's better than both of them, even at 34. He will more than likely play more games than Ayala too. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

38 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well his strengths are definitely his leadership/organisational qualities. He's not Baresi when it comes to technical ability. What is it we need only exactly the qualities he has though?  Bit of strange snobbish attitude from some fans on this I think. 

Let's see how he goes at Huddersfield. Who as I mentioned, have better centre halves than us currently. He's certainly not going there to sit on the bench. He said he wants to get back in the Ireland squad and if he does, it will be one of Lenihan and Williams who drops out of the squad (if they are even worthy of getting in what is a very poor squad at the moment, I don't think they should be for the record) . He's better than both of them, even at 34. He will more than likely play more games than Ayala too. 

I can't get on board with Keogh as I've followed him for a long time and really don't rate the guy. His age now makes it a complete no go for me. I don't think my views on him are snobbish at all.

I don't disagree with your other points though. Schindler & Sarr would walk into our side given our current injuries, so it will be interesting to see if he gets game time there. Keogh is well established in that Irish set up, so you could see that happening. Lenihan & Williams are hardly pulling up any trees. Who starts for them at the moment; Duffy & Egan?

He'd probably play more games than Ayala granted, but I'd say Ayala is the better defender though. We've seen what Ayala can do, albeit across a handful of games. It's a shame he's so prone to injury.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

I can't get on board with Keogh as I've followed him for a long time and really don't rate the guy. His age now makes it a complete no go for me. I don't think my views on him are snobbish at all.

I don't disagree with your other points though. Schindler & Sarr would walk into our side given our current injuries, so it will be interesting to see if he gets game time there. Keogh is well established in that Irish set up, so you could see that happening. Lenihan & Williams are hardly pulling up any trees. Who starts for them at the moment; Duffy & Egan?

He'd probably play more games than Ayala granted, but I'd say Ayala is the better defender though. We've seen what Ayala can do, albeit across a handful of games. It's a shame he's so prone to injury.

Schindler and Sarr would arguably make our side with everybody fit. Although I do agree that Ayala is good, it's just there appears to be a major issue there with how many games he will play. 

I would actually say Keogh is a bit of a donkey on the ball alright, but he brings an awful lot to the table defensively and that's why he has had the career he has had. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Schindler and Sarr would arguably make our side with everybody fit. Although I do agree that Ayala is good, it's just there appears to be a major issue there with how many games he will play. 

I would actually say Keogh is a bit of a donkey on the ball alright, but he brings an awful lot to the table defensively and that's why he has had the career he has had. 

I suppose its hard to tell given how often our CBs are out injured. Williams has looked good at CB but gets injured as soon as he starts to look undroppable. Ayala is often out. Lenihan struggles without a consistent partner. Wharton was starting to look comfortable before his injury. In the summer Sarr wasn't the obvious upgrade he appears to be at the moment.

Yeah credit to him for having the career he's had. He's certainly made the most of what he has to offer.

Edited by RoverKyle
  • Like 1