BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

8 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

I suppose its hard to tell given how often our CBs are out injured. Williams has looked good at CB but gets injured as soon as he starts to look undroppable. Ayala is often out. Lenihan struggles without a consistent partner. Wharton was starting to look comfortable before his injury. In the summer Sarr wasn't the obvious upgrade he appears to be at the moment.

Yeah credit to him for having the career he's had. He's certainly made the most of what he has to offer.

He has a lot to offer though, in spite of his technical limitations. 

We just have too many injury prone defenders. How good they are is pretty irrelevant, because they never seem to get going. Williams and Ayala the worst. I would  imagine a lot of managers wouldn't bother with them because of that. Hopefully Wharton doesn't fall into that category. 

44 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He has a lot to offer though, in spite of his technical limitations. 

We just have too many injury prone defenders. How good they are is pretty irrelevant, because they never seem to get going. Williams and Ayala the worst. I would  imagine a lot of managers wouldn't bother with them because of that. Hopefully Wharton doesn't fall into that category. 

Worryingly for Wharton, injuries around the ankle tend to lead to niggling injuries further down the line I.e. hamstrings, calves.

Edited by RoverKyle

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ah that reliable source. See my post above 

He's good enough for Huddersfield anyway by the sounds of it, who already have better centre halves than us. 

Huddersfield have conceded 6 more goals than us so not sure about that.

Sarr may have scored 2 v us but defensively he is a bomb scare, and Schindler matches Ayala for being injury prone.

I've never fully aligned myself to the opinion that we have needed a veteran leader in at centre back as I dont see why we cant sign good defenders who are not on their last legs. You seem very insistent that people havent seen Keogh but he has been a regular at Championship level for much of the last decade so im sure people have. He has always had an error in him but at his peak would probably have made a good addition to us at this level. Now, after a year out and 6 months at League 1 level, and at 34 years old? Not for me.

He would also be (like the loans which I equally was underwhelmed by) a short term fix in a season whereby any achievement is a long, long shot now.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Huddersfield have conceded 6 more goals than us so not sure about that.

Sarr may have scored 2 v us but defensively he is a bomb scare, and Schindler matches Ayala for being injury prone.

I've never fully aligned myself to the opinion that we have needed a veteran leader in at centre back as I dont see why we cant sign good defenders who are not on their last legs. You seem very insistent that people havent seen Keogh but he has been a regular at Championship level for much of the last decade so im sure people have. He has always had an error in him but at his peak would probably have made a good addition to us at this level. Now, after a year out and 6 months at League 1 level, and at 34 years old? Not for me.

He would also be (like the loans which I equally was underwhelmed by) a short term fix in a season whereby any achievement is a long, long shot now.

You don't see why we can't sign good defenders who aren't in their last legs? Ya I agree with you there, but we don't, hence why I suggested him. I'm not saying he's better than Ruben Diaz or Van Djik. 

Yes he was a regular, but how many Derby games would people, including yourself,have watched beyond highlights?  Be honest. I would prefer a short term fix of a proper defender, rather than resorting back to Johnson in February, which is inevitably going to happen. 

Anyway, as I said above, he had joined Huddersfield, so let's see how he goes there. 

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You don't see why we can't sign good defenders who aren't in their last legs? Ya I agree with you there, but we don't, hence why I suggested him. I'm not saying he's better than Ruben Diaz or Van Djik. 

Yes he was a regular, but how many Derby games would people, including yourself,have watched beyond highlights?  Be honest. I would prefer a short term fix of a proper defender, rather than resorting back to Johnson in February, which is inevitably going to happen. 

Anyway, as I said above, he had joined Huddersfield, so let's see how he goes there. 

Plenty. There tends to be at least a couple of Championship games on a week and has been the case for a while and I tend to watch many. For quite a few years, Derby were on more than their fair share especially when they were in and around the play offs.

I feel it is almost pointless to sign a loan now in that it is becoming nigh on impossible to get into the play offs and we wont go down, but if we have no money and have to rely on Lenihan, Branthwaite and the constantly injured Ayala for half a season it wont be enough so a short term fix may be a necessary evil. If so, someone like Kipre would suit the bill, more recently impressed at this level and coming into his prime.

White rumors about that west ham may bid 30 million for AA, I say we take it.  We’re delusional if we think top 6 is in our grasp this campaign.  After sell in fees, we’d probably net 20 million pounds. That’s good money that can be reinvested and more importantly free up the #9 position for BB, SG, or young Vale. AA has been great but I’d prefer a more traditional CF in our current style.  Also moving BB to the middle would free up the ability to have Dolan play more in the wing.  

17 minutes ago, yankfan said:

White rumors about that west ham may bid 30 million for AA, I say we take it.  We’re delusional if we think top 6 is in our grasp this campaign.  After sell in fees, we’d probably net 20 million pounds. That’s good money that can be reinvested and more importantly free up the #9 position for BB, SG, or young Vale. AA has been great but I’d prefer a more traditional CF in our current style.  Also moving BB to the middle would free up the ability to have Dolan play more in the wing.  

I'd snap their hands off but would the money be reinvested and would you trust TM to spend it wisely. I wouldn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucimo said:

I'd snap their hands off but would the money be reinvested and would you trust TM to spend it wisely. I wouldn't. 

TM seems to do better with his hands tied.  Dack and Armstrong both seem to be good business.  He’s proven to be shit when given a budget.  Could you imagine the dreadful lot he’d put together with man city’s coffers? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yankfan said:

tis a no brainer imo,that kind of money can`t be turned down,you can get a proper centre back and a class left back for what you get for armstrong,though in reality giving mowbray 20 million quid is really frightening😨

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

tis a no brainer imo,that kind of money can`t be turned down,you can get a proper centre back and a class left back for what you get for armstrong,though in reality giving mowbray 20 million quid is really frightening😨

He'd buy a £20m 15 year old youth prospect and play him after 3 seasons and realise realistically probably worth around £1m

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yankfan said:

If we freed the position for those players, Brereton is a seldom scoring player best suited wide, Gallagher is bang average and Vale totally untested. Not something to be embraced and we would need a replacement even if it would be nigh on impossible to do so with an equivalent.

30m would probably be accepted understandably but lets not assume that it would do anything other than majorly weaken us to lose the top scorer in the league. A big chunk would go to Newcastle, a further one would help to offset losses and any replacement is unlikely to score goals like Armstrong does so it is not an eventuality to be celebrated.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

If we freed the position for those players, Brereton is a seldom scoring player best suited wide, Gallagher is bang average and Vale totally untested. Not something to be embraced and we would need a replacement even if it would be nigh on impossible to do so with an equivalent.

30m would probably be accepted understandably but lets not assume that it would do anything other than majorly weaken us to lose the top scorer in the league. A big chunk would go to Newcastle, a further one would help to offset losses and any replacement is unlikely to score goals like Armstrong does so it is not an eventuality to be celebrated.

If he was sold , which would be disappointing to lose the top scorer , I would be hoping at least £20 million would be reinvest this window. Difficult to see that happening though 

I wouldn't be turning down 30m, I'd also be rather shocked if they did. His final decision and finishing is not quite at the level of a regular 15-20 goal a season Premier league player for me. Dolan , Brereton, dack and Elliott in a 4231 would be my choice SG can back up young Ben. 

I'd be banking/investing at least half back into the club, but even what's left would not be entrusted to TM. He's awful with money... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

30% to Newcastle.

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

I wouldn't be turning down 30m, I'd also be rather shocked if they did. His final decision and finishing is not quite at the level of a regular 15-20 goal a season Premier league player for me. Dolan , Brereton, dack and Elliott in a 4231 would be my choice SG can back up young Ben. 

I'd be banking/investing at least half back into the club, but even what's left would not be entrusted to TM. He's awful with money... 

If we got £30M that= £21M to the Club. If Venkys gave the manager £15Mof it to buy a defence we'd go up---provide TM wasn't the manager spending it that is.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Although you said in the other thread this season is over. So you surely got to take that money then? While it's being offered